Useability of joysticks compared to that other game (WT)

joystick compare warthunder useability

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

MikeyBugs95 #1 Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:03 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

I'm wondering what the useability of the joystick is like in WOWP as compared to WarThunder... I've been playing WarThunder (not as of recent as my computer can't really take it... well... I can't really take it... anymore) and I also recently got a new joystick. A Mad Catz F.L.Y 5. And I love the stick! Just not how useable it is in WarThunder... Because it's not very... Oh it can definitely be used but Gaijin prefers the mouse/keyboard control much more than the joystick for reasons beyond me... So I'm just curious if WG has that nagging itch as well... to be more partial towards, and in Gaijin's case to make the game favor, the mouse/keyboard scheme or if the  joystick is actually equal to the keyboard/mouse.... is the joystick even useable and in this game, is basically what I'm asking? And silly me I just uninstalled WoWP from my computer before realizing that I might be able to use my joystick in this game.

Edited by MikeyBugs95, 26 December 2014 - 07:04 AM.

plyrzreg #2 Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:25 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

Well, without getting into game revision specifics my general impression is that mouse users have always had the reputation of being at an advantage most notably with accuracy. To counter this trend, some of the best players in this game use joystick controls.

As for me I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to flight sims. I had issue just getting past the 3rd person aspect myself, but I always use a joystick (CH combat stick/throttle) and it works just fine.

There are a few threads in the tactics to get into more finite aspects of the difference. This is a quote from one of the Game Guide threads.

....  One thing I noticed in your videos is the difference between mouse and joystick control.  With joystick control there are moves you are able to make ... confidently and fluidly, whereas a mouse control setup can bring great risk of loss of control/orientation.  That was a real eye-opener in-of-itself.

I realize actual aiming is "supposed" to be easier with mouse control, but in these videos you demonstrate superiority in your vehicle placement gives you overall better leverage thru the battle.

Thanks again for posting these videos.

Keep the faith.

MikeyBugs95 #3 Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:35 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
Ok. I know of the advantages in WT but wasn't aware of that here. Thanks. Is it at least easy to fly with with little modification to the control settings (other than setting up the various controls for the buttons and sliders obviously)? In WT it seems you have change the flight mode completely before flying otherwise you'll spin out every 5 seconds. Of course that's after you recover from your last spin and a drop of a few hundred to a thousand feet of altitude.  At least that always happened to me. 

Edited by MikeyBugs95, 26 December 2014 - 07:38 AM.

plyrzreg #4 Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:01 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
 Some heavily tweak their js settings in wowp and this is understandable from some of the previous revisions of this game. This also depends on the precision of the js you have. I personally keep all sensitivities at max without any dead zones, and had this setup from previous versions even when the js controls were considered nearly unplayable. As far as the flight model is concerned, at its current state you won't be experiencing any  "flight departure" sequences outside of basic stalls.

Keep the faith.

Heibges #5 Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 65 battles

Do you play War Thunder in 3rd Person with the joystick or in 1st Person.

WT was designed as 1st Person, than CAN be played in 3rd Person.  But because is it primarily designed as a 1st Person game from the cockpit, the flight model has to be a lot bouncier and floatier or it would just be really boring,  But this is why the plane bounces all over with a  JS or gamepad in 3rd Person.

WoWp is designed as  3rd Person game that allows you do go into 1st Person, so the flight model is a lot more stable, and much easier than WT on JS and gamepad.

Both companies go after Mouse/Keyboard users because they think it gives them the largest install base to sell into.

"If the Healer gets killed it's the Tank's fault.  If the Tank gets killed it's the Healer's fault.  If the DPS get killed it's their own fault." - various

subwolve #6 Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 13 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

I use a Thurstmaster Hotas X in WoWp and i love it. There was a small learning curve but I struggle to fly with a mouse now. I tried to play that other game but the yaw of the joystick would create a huge nose wobble so i never enjoyed it.

SkyWolf__WM #7 Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:25 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 308 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

I use a joystick. As it wore out I constantly changed sensitivities. apparently I was unaware of just how worn out it was.

I just got a new one and am trying to get it dialed in.... but it's so sensitive it's like riding a bucking bronco.

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

MikeyBugs95 #8 Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:46 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
Heibges: I find that my frame rate drops a very noticeable amount when I use cockpit view on WT. I'm usually humming along (well, my computer roars along... I hum) at anywhere from 10-20fps at the bad times, near the ground on maps with A LOT of vegetation and ground structure, and near the cloud line to sometimes 70fps at times. Many times I find a good 10fps drop when I get onto cockpit mode. I stay on 3rd person and HUD view.  

Subwolve: I'm finding a good curve trying to set up my stick in WT as well. I finally decided that sensitivity levels for the pitch and roll are good for me around 70-77. Because my stick also has twist rudder I set the yaw sensitivity around 40 but unfortunately it sticks to the right and won't return.  Unless I snap left. And I am finding it's not too well playable with a stick in modes outside of arcade and realistic.

Skywolf: I hear you on that... This new one I have... I'm still trying to learn when to recover from a turn so that I don't overturn and end up in the farm when I'm on the deck. It's all a learning experience.  

MikeyBugs95 #9 Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
Ok, well I found out I just can't play the game because the graphics settings I'd the bare minimum and my computer can barely handle that.

EarWaxian #10 Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:38 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW
Thanks for the info on JoySticks. I have been primary a keyboard.. but I remember the old days of Microsoft Fury^3 with an old Joystick. Now I need to start looking around for a decent JoyStick to jump in WoWp with
Fly... Fly Away to the [PACNW]

Heibges #11 Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 65 battles

View PostMikeyBugs95, on 26 December 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

Heibges: I find that my frame rate drops a very noticeable amount when I use cockpit view on WT. I'm usually humming along (well, my computer roars along... I hum) at anywhere from 10-20fps at the bad times, near the ground on maps with A LOT of vegetation and ground structure, and near the cloud line to sometimes 70fps at times. Many times I find a good 10fps drop when I get onto cockpit mode. I stay on 3rd person and HUD view.

Sounds like an LOD (Level of Detail) issue to me.  Because you are close to the ground the game uses High LOD Models, and they have to be swapped in and out rapidly due to your speed.  Plus there is the cockpit detail that always needs to be rendered.
"If the Healer gets killed it's the Tank's fault.  If the Tank gets killed it's the Healer's fault.  If the DPS get killed it's their own fault." - various

Bandet #12 Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:12 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Joystick works here very well. Many of the top players in the game use sticks.

Joystick doesn't work over there.

This game is arcadey, you don't need a fancy joystick.

Edited by Bandet, 29 April 2015 - 01:12 AM.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

Also tagged with joystick, compare, warthunder, useability

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users