A fix idea for the mouse!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Mouse centering system (67 members have cast votes)

Do you agree with the mouse centering system? (read the initial post before voting)

1. Yes i do, it should be implemented! (58 votes [86.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.57%

2. No i don't, that would be a bad idea. (4 votes [5.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.97%

3. Maybe, i have a better idea! (5 votes [7.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.46%

Vote Hide poll

Hell_March #21 Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
The problem is aces that even though you can get used to the controls it takes to much time. I have to ask aces how long it took you to get the hang of the controls?  Did it take more than half an hour maybe an hour? Are most people going to have the patients required to get the hang of the controls?  If it takes to long to get used to the controls themselves then people will simply get frustrated and dismiss the game altogether. I has taken me 10+ hours of play to get used to them to be somewhat effective. Even then its way to easy to overcompensate with the mouse controls and its taking away your focus from your objective. Which is either dog fighting or destroying ground targets.

Acesfury #22 Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
i had the mouse controls down after 2 single player games.
but thats just the flying aspect and maneuvering. Actually Aiming and holding steady, these type of things are not restrictive to any of the control systems, they take time to learn and refine. Period. this game requires skill and it takes time to gain that skill, even with the modifications you are suggestion that skill gain requirement is still going to be present and likely take just as long.
Acesfury

"Mess with the Best, Die like... THAT COCKROACH!!!"

homsikpanda #23 Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [7AD23] 7AD23

View PostAcesfury, on 09 April 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

Honestly I don't understand why so many people are having trouble with the Mouse and keyboard controls...

Maybe I'm just the exceptiong but I use mouse and keyboard as my standard and I don't seem to have anywhere near the trouble many people report...

i don't have any problems with it, i'm just fussy xD  also with a lil practice you get more used to the controls :D no matter what they are! :D
i tested it out yesterday and LOVE the shooter mode! =o, i just wish i could switch the roll with the yaw and vice versa, i'm not sure yet if i want my mouse to roll or yaw =/

View PostAn_Average_Jho, on 09 April 2012 - 01:32 AM, said:

:Smile_honoring:
your pickle picture makes me lol
it's like he's going super sayan! xD

View PostHell_March, on 09 April 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

The problem is aces that even though you can get used to the controls it takes to much time. I have to ask aces how long it took you to get the hang of the controls?  Did it take more than half an hour maybe an hour? Are most people going to have the patients required to get the hang of the controls?  If it takes to long to get used to the controls themselves then people will simply get frustrated and dismiss the game altogether. I has taken me 10+ hours of play to get used to them to be somewhat effective. Even then its way to easy to overcompensate with the mouse controls and its taking away your focus from your objective. Which is either dog fighting or destroying ground targets.

took me 1-3 flights to get familiar with the controls  and after a few tweakings i was comfortable with them, the biggest thing is getting the third dimension controls, not many games out there actually have 3 dimension controls, most, including WoT only have 2 dimensional, sometimes even 2 sets of 2 dimension, for example, in WoT forward back left right for driving, and up/down left/right for turret control, 2 dimensional.

also as a note i voted yes, i don't use mouse centering but i do see where it would come in handy, i could see myself using mouse centering with shooter mode if it was implemented

HTRK74JR #24 Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Someone insults me again, they will not fear death.

• Alpha tester
  • 12 battles
  • [LOAD] LOAD
i think the system is already like that. i have hte mouse, and it continuosly heads back to the top of the hud, and very, very annoying because ill try to turn, boom, into a building.

An_Average_Jho #25 Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD

View PostHTRK74JR, on 09 April 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

i think the system is already like that. i have hte mouse, and it continuosly heads back to the top of the hud, and very, very annoying because ill try to turn, boom, into a building.

Check my thread for a new type of control ->Alternative to Dot on a Stick

Everything tastes better if it tries to eat you before you eat it

I named my airplane Iosef because it kept on Stalin

"Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat"

BlueAngel #26 Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
I would like to suggest controling mouse as in WOT
In WOT is controling like this: where you look the gun follows and lines up with your view.
I would like to see the same in WOWP: where i look the plane follows, as soon as the plane has lined up then with your view you can press fire.
It would mean a fix crosshair for the view wich follows the mouse.

I think people are expecting these kind of controls, easy and easy to master, becuz all games are already like that.
For the aviation freeks the other options should still be in, but to make the game a succes controls please like i discribed above.

sourtimes #27 Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [ARMOR] ARMOR

View PostAcesfury, on 09 April 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

Honestly I don't understand why so many people are having trouble with the Mouse and keyboard controls...

Maybe I'm just the exceptiong but I use mouse and keyboard as my standard and I don't seem to have anywhere near the trouble many people report...
i don't seem to have trouble others express either, but there was a learning curve. with that being said, basic flight control and combat can be achieved with success after a handfull of games. i have found though with the current setup some advanced combat maneuvers are difficult, the split-s and the like.
overall i think any improvement will make the game better(easier?) as most of the market audience will use mouse/keyboard and not have a joystick.

An_Average_Jho #28 Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD

View Postsourtimes, on 10 April 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

i don't seem to have trouble others express either, but there was a learning curve. with that being said, basic flight control and combat can be achieved with success after a handfull of games. i have found though with the current setup some advanced combat maneuvers are difficult, the split-s and the like.
overall i think any improvement will make the game better(easier?) as most of the market audience will use mouse/keyboard and not have a joystick.

It's not about if you have trouble with it, it's about if the 13 year old population which complains about everything and has no skills will have trouble with it.
I am doing okay with it, and most people do have it down after a dozen battles, but that's not what this is about; will the entire population of the soon-to-be game be satisfied with the "Dot on a Stick" setup?

Cack #29 Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
I like the idea, even though using a key to centre isn't an issue for me. It would be a nice option to set if you would like your green tracer dot to slowly (or quickly) retract to its original position. That is, the time it takes to retract, but also the interval between letting go of your device and the tracer beginning to retract. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you were saying or not, but close enough. Just to sum up:

Value: interval (ms) before tracer retract
Slider: tracer retract speed

Zero interval and maximum on the slider would make a mouse act like a joystick*, where it needs to be constantly moving. Although I am not sure if that would be utterly useless, someone might like it. One more option might be to set a key which would either toggle "joystick mode" for your mouse or if held would lock your tracer dot where it is.

*Which, coincidentally, is a spectacular response to my own question which I was about to post about. Because I use a trackpoint, I wanted a way to make the game see it as a joystick instead of a mouse. Maybe I don't need to start my own thread now.

An_Average_Jho #30 Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD
Might as well press the "C" button (re-centering the aircraft by default) or any of the arrow keys (manual override by default) to retract the DOS.

But what I really mean is, shouldn't the movement of the mouse directly impact the movement of the plane for simplicity's sake? Currently, the DOS is the middleman between the mouse and the aircraft. We control the dot that then controls the plane. What if that system was given to people with joysticks? What if the stick controlled not the plane but the dot? People would lose their minds.

Warcrime #31 Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:14 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [OTG] OTG
Bottom line the current controls are a negative to WoWP. Too much difficulty people wont bother. The beauty of WOT  is that my 7yr old can drive a tank and shoot..not well but can do it. Do we want a game with a few dozen people playing or thousands? Personally I want thousands. I bank my plane right..it hard banks left....that not normal in any game..shouldn't be here either.

You design a game to what the gamers want not tell the gamers to learn or leave. And thats why were here I think...to tell the developers. CAN you use the current system..ya..is it good..no.

An_Average_Jho #32 Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:00 AM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD
What he^ said. This game isn't made for the masses, it is made for people with the will to master it. Most of the WoT population already complains because skilled players can overtake higher tiered foes, what kind of uproar do you expect if now the kiddlets complain not only about the game balance, but also the accessibility of the game to people without Joysticks.

rinying #33 Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:02 AM

CB tester, BF110B ace. hope ya don't meet me in the sky ;)

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostDeathEater82, on 01 April 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

It keeps rolling and trolling while you roll?

I can't really have a say, since I have a laptop.
Trying to fly with the touch pad thing is like rubbing a dead cat all over your laptop, and hoping that you hit someone.
that was funny ;) +1

flying bf110b ace since june 6, 2012.
RIP carlr the moderator june 11, 2012.
the way the alpha tester days were.a tight knit brotherhood. way the beta tester days were. a melting pot of noobishness and learning. way public release will be. allies who cant fly straight, and troll-city.
current stats for wowp closed beta
win loss ratio, 57%. survival ratio. 37%. kill death ratio, 1.77. hit ratio, 13% exp per battle: 628.

SpecTRe_X #34 Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:57 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [UQ] UQ
This was the very first thing I said when I played my first game. I spent at least 3 hours wondering why it was like this and not other FPS games like the battlefield series, if this was worked out it would make things much easier. I have to admit though I'm getting pretty good with my joystick and throttle

BloodWyvern #35 Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [SOYUZ] SOYUZ
ok, the only problem im having with the way the mouse is, is it rolls uyou over when you dont want to sometimes, i can press c to level out, but its still anoying

BloodWyvern #36 Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [SOYUZ] SOYUZ
having the plane follow where your looking when you float the camera would be usefull too, though you wouldnt want it to always do that

RynoSuperman #37 Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [AFD] AFD
BIG QUESTION:
Will the devs listen? or will it be another "spotting system" like WOT.

rinying #38 Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

CB tester, BF110B ace. hope ya don't meet me in the sky ;)

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostNoMoreChillies, on 09 June 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

BIG QUESTION:
Will the devs listen? or will it be another "spotting system" like WOT.
first of all, only spotting mechanism in wowp is the behind clouds effect. 2nd, they have fixed the mouse controls, i dont really have a problem with them, i can easily use a mouse/keyboard in my bf110b.

flying bf110b ace since june 6, 2012.
RIP carlr the moderator june 11, 2012.
the way the alpha tester days were.a tight knit brotherhood. way the beta tester days were. a melting pot of noobishness and learning. way public release will be. allies who cant fly straight, and troll-city.
current stats for wowp closed beta
win loss ratio, 57%. survival ratio. 37%. kill death ratio, 1.77. hit ratio, 13% exp per battle: 628.

Jinxed_Katajainen #39 Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

Feedback Airedale

• Alpha tester
  • 47 battles
I couldn't get used to the controls and went out and bought myself a joystick...

I'm not sure what I was doing wrong at the time but I couldn't get the plane to roll over on command... it would just bank turn whenever I moved my mouse sideways or it would roll over when I didn't want it to and go diving into the ground.  So trying to pull a Split-S into a Half Cuban Eight to get behind somebody and in firing position felt like an effort in futility.

It didn't take me long to fly straight and aim at somebody, but that's about as far as I got with the mouse.

An_Average_Jho #40 Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:23 AM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD

View PostHorokew, on 09 June 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

I couldn't get used to the controls and went out and bought myself a joystick... I'm not sure what I was doing wrong at the time but I couldn't get the plane to roll over on command... it would just bank turn whenever I moved my mouse sideways or it would roll over when I didn't want it to and go diving into the ground. So trying to pull a Split-S into a Half Cuban Eight to get behind somebody and in firing position felt like an effort in futility. It didn't take me long to fly straight and aim at somebody, but that's about as far as I got with the mouse.
There is actually a "smart" zone within the DOS. If you move within it, the plane will only yaw/weakly bank. As soon as you move out of it, the plane will only bank/weakly yaw.

I don't blame you, I realized this after 3 months.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users