Jump to content


A fix idea for the mouse!


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Mouse centering system (67 members have cast votes)

Do you agree with the mouse centering system? (read the initial post before voting)

  1. Yes i do, it should be implemented! (58 votes [86.57%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 86.57%

  2. No i don't, that would be a bad idea. (4 votes [5.97%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 5.97%

  3. Maybe, i have a better idea! (5 votes [7.46%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 7.46%

Vote Hide poll

Diesel93PT #1 Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 30
  • Member since:
    02-23-2012
Hello, (getting to the point)  :Smile_izmena:

Idea 1:

I use the mouse for elevation and rolling, keyboard for flaps, thrust, and rudders.
It works for me right now but dog-fighting is quite difficult still.

In my opinion, the problem with the mouse is that there is no return to the center position , and this causes real problems in aiming...

For example... In Battlefield games (just as an example) you move the mouse left a little, the plane rolls left a little, in wowp you roll the plane and the plane keeps rolling, and this is very bad...  :Smile_hiding:

This means you have to keep concentrated on the mouse movements, which steals vital concentration from the dogfight.

I guess the best way to fix this is to, at least, make the option to automatically center the mouse pointer. We should be able to tweak every movement, like the how fast the pointer centers itself (it can be instantly, or not), how much time past the last movement of the mouse it will start centering (in milliseconds, of course)...

Like a centering mouse pointer magnet...  :Smile_playing:

Did i express myself well?  :Smile_great:

Idea 2:

Another thing that would really help the mouse players (myself for example) is mouse acceleration!

Please vote on the poll and comment on these ideas!

DeathEater82 #2 Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

    Dovahkiin

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 748
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
It keeps rolling and trolling while you roll?

I can't really have a say, since I have a laptop.
Trying to fly with the touch pad thing is like rubbing a dead cat all over your laptop, and hoping that you hit someone.

R.I.P WoWp Alpha: May 31, 2012

Diesel93PT #3 Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 30
  • Member since:
    02-23-2012

View PostDeathEater82, on 01 April 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

It keeps rolling and trolling while you roll?

I can't really have a say, since I have a laptop.
Trying to fly with the touch pad thing is like rubbing a dead cat all over your laptop, and hoping that you hit someone.

Well that's unfortunate.. I'm making plans of buying a joystick... it's the only way i can start playing good, and you with a laptop... You better find a joystick fast xD

TheGreenTank #4 Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 939
  • [MEMES] MEMES
  • Member since:
    01-11-2012
Aha! I knew I couldn't be the only one that was confused because the centering wasn't there. +100 to this suggestion!

Diesel93PT #5 Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 30
  • Member since:
    02-23-2012

View PostTheGreenTank, on 02 April 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

Aha! I knew I couldn't be the only one that was confused because the centering wasn't there. +100 to this suggestion!

Right? It's just weird... And when you have to do a quick movement you actually have to look for the mouse pointer...

Petit_Mort #6 Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

    Airman Basic

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 4
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the mouse pointer thingy either, actually.

I haven't figured out how it improves mouse play.

Auto "back to center" would be an awesome addition.

Diesel93PT #7 Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

    Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 30
  • Member since:
    02-23-2012

View PostPetit_Mort, on 04 April 2012 - 02:29 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the mouse pointer thingy either, actually.

I haven't figured out how it improves mouse play.

Auto "back to center" would be an awesome addition.

Thank you for your comment and time! I think I'm going to make a petition on this topic for the Developers.

Thank you all for your votes and comments!

TaterStick #8 Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

    Airman Basic

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 1
  • Member since:
    02-21-2012
The whole mouse idea definitely needs some sort of tweaking! I only have that to go with for now, but will look into other possibilities; do game pads work ok, or is the joystick def. the better way to go?

Eddywils #9 Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

    Airman Basic

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 6
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
I'm defiantly getting a joystick tomorrow, I have a 300ms ping and mouse and keyboard makes it impossible to dogfight,

bombing difficult too, but not as bad,

Aerion #10 Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

    Airman Basic

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 2
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
It doesn't really need a reset mousepointer button, but an option to remove the mouse pointer at all.

I have never seen such plane controlling in any game before. Not the position of the mouse pointer in relation to the center should be steering the plane, but the movement of the mouse itself.
So if I stop moving the mouse, the plane should stop moving as well and do nothing.

I am sure you can somehow get used to it but for for me so far, it would be a dealbreaker.

I'm trying out flying with joystick next, but with mouse its impossible, for me at least.

tl,dr: Requesting option to remove mousepointer and instead use actual mousemovement to control the plane

Edit: The 'Level Off Aircraft' Button does what you're proposing if you're only pressing it for a second

Diesel93PT #11 Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 30
  • Member since:
    02-23-2012

View PostAerion, on 07 April 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

It doesn't really need a reset mousepointer button, but an option to remove the mouse pointer at all.

I have never seen such plane controlling in any game before. Not the position of the mouse pointer in relation to the center should be steering the plane, but the movement of the mouse itself.
So if I stop moving the mouse, the plane should stop moving as well and do nothing.

I am sure you can somehow get used to it but for for me so far, it would be a dealbreaker.

I'm trying out flying with joystick next, but with mouse its impossible, for me at least.

tl,dr: Requesting option to remove mousepointer and instead use actual mousemovement to control the plane

Edit: The 'Level Off Aircraft' Button does what you're proposing if you're only pressing it for a second

Yeah you are right. I use the mouse and i'm doing good with it, i just need a warm up, but it still quite hard to aim... i aim with the flaps and throttle instead of the mouse itself... It's really weird...

oyhot #12 Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

    Senior Airman

  • Alpha tester
  • 1 battle
  • 11
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
The best mouse control system in a game I have played was SWOTLW.  I belive it used centering (not sure)

homsikpanda #13 Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 36
  • [7AD23] 7AD23
  • Member since:
    01-21-2012
in a different thread it was explained that you can remove/reassign the mouse to different axis, i.e. moving mouse left/right causes rudder to move left/right but moving mouse up/down causes nothing (because fuction was removed/reassigned to keyboard)

can someone confirm or deny this ability and/or educate me on how to do this please? my researching on the forums has thus far proven fruitless

An_Average_Jho #14 Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:23 AM

    Helvetic Polyglot

  • Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • 2,588
  • [WWPD] WWPD
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
This is a subject dear to me because I currently loath the current mouse controls.

What I want is something that I've used quite a bit. I want the movement of the plane replicated by the movement of the mouse and not by the position of the cursor compared to the nose of the plane.
ei. mouse moves right, plane banks right. mouse stops, plane stops (without accounting for momentum, physics etc...).

I've used this setup since the age of the old "A-10" series of flight sim, and again on Falcon 4.0 when my Joystick broke.
The setup is very friendly because it allows for people to "feel" the movement of the plane and is the closest thing to playing with a joystick.
With the current controls, it takes about a second or two to go from banking right to banking left, and quick movement for slight adjustment requires one to concentrate more on the position of the little ball on a stick than the actual target.

Moving the mouse does not directly affect the plane, and for this, I believe, the player loses immersion in the game. Since I assume I do not directly control movement, I resort to using the keypad (which turns the plane faster than anything I've ever seen, probably needs to be looked at) to evade or do maneuvers which require quick response from my plane.

I trully hope someone will listen...

Everything tastes better if it tries to eat you before you eat it

I named my airplane Iosef because it kept on Stalin

 

"Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat"


eug_dirtbag #15 Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

    Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 92
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
Just new, tried the mouse and keyboard 1st as a lot of casual gamers will start this way.

Currently at least on my setup the mouse acceleration seems to change while in battle goes slower/faster somewhat randomly.  This may be me rather than real still testing.

I agree with the comments above the current system is somewhat counter intuitive, and very difficult to function with.  It will make it difficult for keyboard/mouse players to be competitive.

Still tweaking in the single battle mode to see if I can improve the functions with remapping.

Diesel93PT #16 Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 30
  • Member since:
    02-23-2012

View PostAn_Average_Jho, on 08 April 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

This is a subject dear to me because I currently loath the current mouse controls.

What I want is something that I've used quite a bit. I want the movement of the plane replicated by the movement of the mouse and not by the position of the cursor compared to the nose of the plane.
ei. mouse moves right, plane banks right. mouse stops, plane stops (without accounting for momentum, physics etc...).

I've used this setup since the age of the old "A-10" series of flight sim, and again on Falcon 4.0 when my Joystick broke.
The setup is very friendly because it allows for people to "feel" the movement of the plane and is the closest thing to playing with a joystick.
With the current controls, it takes about a second or two to go from banking right to banking left, and quick movement for slight adjustment requires one to concentrate more on the position of the little ball on a stick than the actual target.

Moving the mouse does not directly affect the plane, and for this, I believe, the player loses immersion in the game. Since I assume I do not directly control movement, I resort to using the keypad (which turns the plane faster than anything I've ever seen, probably needs to be looked at) to evade or do maneuvers which require quick response from my plane.

I trully hope someone will listen...

I do hope too... Hey, why don't you make a topic on the petition forum? Make a Poll and ill vote for u and comment.

docmorningstar #17 Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

    Airman Basic

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 6
  • Member since:
    01-04-2012
I'd love to see the mouse control moved from just 'follow the dot' to a split mode rate/position  controller

Here is how it would work

When your cursor is in the 'middle' zone (the green circle thing) the controller acts like a rate controller ; so when the mouse is 'close' to the middle, it acts kind of like a joystick, giving you the precision you need to come in on an attack run.

Outside of the green circle, it behaves in a 'follow the dot' mode, which is kind of nice for derping around getting from point to point.

That, or use someone elses control model because the current keyboard/mouse combo is bloody awful.

Hell_March #18 Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

    Senior Airman

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 10
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
I have to agree that the current mouse control system needs a lot of improvement. I can see a lot of players being  turned off by the current mouse control system. I agree more with average joes method. If I am not moving the mouse my plane should stop rolling/pitching momentum and physics aside of course. The current system makes it just to difficult to control the plane effectively.

Acesfury #19 Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 262
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
Honestly I don't understand why so many people are having trouble with the Mouse and keyboard controls...

Maybe I'm just the exceptiong but I use mouse and keyboard as my standard and I don't seem to have anywhere near the trouble many people report...
Acesfury

"Mess with the Best, Die like... THAT COCKROACH!!!"


An_Average_Jho #20 Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

    Helvetic Polyglot

  • Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • 2,588
  • [WWPD] WWPD
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostDiesel93PT, on 08 April 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

I do hope too... Hey, why don't you make a topic on the petition forum? Make a Poll and ill vote for u and comment.
Will do :Smile_honoring:

Everything tastes better if it tries to eat you before you eat it

I named my airplane Iosef because it kept on Stalin

 

"Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat"





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users