XP-50 replay flight

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 846 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Today's TbM features one of the two aircraft I earned during the Summer Wind event; the Grumman XP-50 tier VI American premium heavy fighter.  I named this video Triple Threat because that is the nickname I coined for flights of all the same aircraft and Wesrin, Reckless and myself are indeed all flying this ugly bird.  Don't let her looks deceive you, though.  This heavy fighter is a nasty customer, the level of nasty is intensified by the presence of clone planes and teamwork.

The XP-50 is an entertaining and fun ride; there are things it excels at and things you shouldn't even attempt.  The bombs, for example.  As demonstrated here, they are next to useless; even when both are dropped on an equal tier non-hardened target it fails to clear out a single object in a complex target.  Do not bother to mount them; they'll just restrict the amount of altitude you can gain at the start of a match and you'll jettison them long before an opportunity arises to actually use one to good effect.

What the XP-50 is good at is eliminating other high flying aircraft; it can outmaneuver anything else with two engines and quite a few of the multirole single engine fighters as well.  P-38s, which are also designed around this doctrine, are easily outmaneuvered though not outgunned by the XP-50.  

From my flight's perspective, this battle was a bit more hectic than we would have liked; I carried bombs and was brought down low into a dogfight much earlier in the match than I should have been, Wesrin came down to support me and tried feeding trees into his engines while doing a 6G turn at low alt and then Reckless and I got separated when we chased different aircraft to opposite corners of the map.

Like the XP-50 itself, the battle was far from pretty.  But it was a victory nonetheless, and I'll take that home any day.

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"Master of Puppets" by Metallica, performed acapella by Van Cantu (Riddly diddly diddly diddly)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Wesrin #2 Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 304 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Wesrin has crashed!

Thanks, OBAMA.

For the record, I was a bit tipsy that match. And I wanted that F4F bad. Really, really bad.

Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

Quesnel #3 Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
Informative and entertaining, all in one :great:

_Warchylde_ #4 Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:21 PM

First Lieutenant

• 1 battle
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

While the XP-50 was an unmitigated failure, the data gathered from the one and only prototype (which ingloriously blew up during testing) DID serve as the foundation for the later F7F Tigercat.

Ugly fight, but awesome flying, as usual.:honoring:

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

subwolve #5 Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 24 battles
I love the XP50. It makes great profits and I really enjoy killing other heavies with it. It can out perform most tier 6 heavies but the ME410 seems to just pull away from me in a horizontal straight line. I agree that the bombs are useless.

Vyacheslav #6 Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:17 PM

(人^_^)。o.゚。*

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
Nice work as usual Magus! 

dawson112299 #7 Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 5 battles
excellent , I love my XP-50.     In fact I was uploading a video about the time you posted this.   Great work.

barbeerian #8 Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
Cool vid Magus, that soundtrack is epic!

danbuter #9 Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:57 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1 battle
Had the XP-50 and sold it. Worst win percentage out of almost any plane I've flown. I really just couldn't figure it out. It doesn't help that once someone does focus on you, you have very little health. In any case, nice video!

Edited by danbuter, 08 December 2014 - 12:58 AM.

Also tagged with XP-50, replay, flight

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users