Remove Individual Pilots Stats From Public View

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

IamJMan999 #41 Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5 battles

View Postubeahurtin, on 04 November 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

If I was a brand new pilot, just starting this game again, there are some stats I would like to know.

*What aircraft were the most successful pilots flying?

*What pilot skills did the most successful pilots select, and in what order?

*What ammo type were the most successful pilots using?

*What percentage of successful pilots use premium fuel?

I could make the list go on, but each individual pilot rating would be somewhere on the bottom if at all. What seems (to me) as important stats are unavailable from the hall of fame as far as I know.

WG can do with the suggestion whatever they will. I knew going into it, it would not be popular with many of those who post on the forum. So be it. Different opinions don't bother me. It's what makes the world go 'round. 

Are you seriously saying this???

You would  have no idea who the "best pilots" were without stats.

And here's a crazy thought. Use the stats you so hate, to find out who the "best" pilots are, and ask them those questions. Yes some of the top will tell you to go to ****, but some will help, give advice, and maybe even offer to flight with you..... Wait stats are evil, so being good or bad is irrelevant.. I'm sorry I didn't understand your thought process there.

ubeahurtin #42 Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostIamJMan999, on 04 November 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

Are you seriously saying this???

You would  have no idea who the "best pilots" were without stats.

And here's a crazy thought. Use the stats you so hate, to find out who the "best" pilots are, and ask them those questions. Yes some of the top will tell you to go to ****, but some will help, give advice, and maybe even offer to flight with you..... Wait stats are evil, so being good or bad is irrelevant.. I'm sorry I didn't understand your thought process there.

My friend, stats are stats. The player names are irrelevant to ammo type, plane type, etc. If the stats indicated a certain percentage of the top soring players used x, y, z, one would not need to know their names. How difficult is that to understand? 

And hate is a very strong word. An incorrect word in this instance. I have no hate for the current system, just think it lacks wisdom and is counter productive for a company who is trying to build a player base as well as make a profit. Somethinjg is not working in this game that so many of us enjoy playing. I happen to think this rating system is a possible negative associated with the lack of participation. 

IamJMan999 #43 Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5 battles
I'm gonna play along here.... Ok stats are driving some players away, I will concede some players get butthurt about their stats and leave. However, to use tanks as the litmus test here; Tanks has stats and has no issues with player base. The difference between the two: End game support, control issues (in tanks lack there of), competition (tanks has none really), and lastly MM has been an issue with WOWP since the start. Now what you are saying is that public stats is what is killing this game? Are you aware of all the other online competitive games out there that have public stats? COD comes to mind, that game has a ridiculous population.

ubeahurtin #44 Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

Actually, no. I have not played PvP games much at all, ever. Only some in the very recent past, as a working career and other responsibilities precluded the amount of leisure time I have now.

But I can tell you this: from my experience in the past, non game related, it would take a miracle to make people want to buy a product that by default will potentially put the customer in the bottom 50% of users, and then publish their game-name to go along with it for all the others to see. So elementary, it's dumbfounding that some people just cannot catch on to this concept. If my win rate is 60% or more, it just stands to reason that a lot of people ended up losers when it came time to battle. Now, that's a given fact. So why would I think it prudent from a business satndpoint to exploit the names of the many losers (and will assume for the sake of discussion, paying customers), for the pride of the few (winning players)?  It just doesn't make sense. 

dityboycom #45 Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View Postubeahurtin, on 04 November 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

Actually, no. I have not played PvP games much at all, ever. Only some in the very recent past, as a working career and other responsibilities precluded the amount of leisure time I have now.

But I can tell you this: from my experience in the past, non game related, it would take a miracle to make people want to buy a product that by default will potentially put the customer in the bottom 50% of users, and then publish their game-name to go along with it for all the others to see. So elementary, it's dumbfounding that some people just cannot catch on to this concept. If my win rate is 60% or more, it just stands to reason that a lot of people ended up losers when it came time to battle. Now, that's a given fact. So why would I think it prudent from a business satndpoint to exploit the names of the many losers (and will assume for the sake of discussion, paying customers), for the pride of the few (winning players)?  It just doesn't make sense. 

It is the basis of every single PVP game designed on the planet. The bad players inspire to be the good players, the good players talk down to the bad players, the mediocre players are just having a good time.

IamJMan999 #46 Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:16 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5 battles

Why do kids play sports? My little league baseball league had 12 teams. Only 1 team won, 1 team got second, and 1 team got third. Essentially all other teams got squat (losers). And yet year after year kids keep playing baseball, I don't know why they all just didn't quit. Because its a game/sport and they're winners and losers, and we all got a print out of the leagues wins/losses for each team. It sucks to be the team number 12 with zero wins, but if your not a IRL loser, then you practiced, worked harder, and tried to be a winner next year. What's wrong with letting people know where they stand?

Plz don't tell me this is another everyone gets a trophy thread!

Tonzzo #47 Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:18 PM

Captain

• 724 battles

View PostSojo, on 04 November 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

Oh, I see, as if in real life those special people that are idiot enough to drive 45 mph in a 65 mph zone get flipped off or someone is riding their bumper by multitudes of people because they can’t drive worth a crap but still retain valid driver’s license; States should base a designated special lane so their feeling won’t be hurt (THE “I CAN'T DRIVE WORTH SH*T LANE, Please don’t yell at me). 

So in comparison someone that can’t play this game worth crap; Wargaming should make special rules so they won’t get their feelings hurt even though they are allowed to participate on the same playing field as others, just as idiot drivers are allowed to cause good drivers road rage because of their incompetence.

Good players already get punished enough, can’t even enjoy lower tiers because of the whiners who can’t even ascertain or manage a 45% win percentage.  A good flight has too wait 3 to 6 minutes on average for a match so they can be matched against unwinnable odds because it takes match maker that long  to look for a few good players due to the overabundance of substandard players to give them a helping hand. I’m surprised these people don’t have a dedicated a** wiper at home, god help them if they get a little poopy on their hand, what would they do.

Sometimes ridicule is helpful, cuddling people is detrimental.

I fear for the Human Race.

Please note this....  Read it again....  This is what has killed the population....  The OP wants more of it because he feels he is being treated unfairly....  To bad the OP cant just jump in a aircraft armed with guns and exact some revenge....  Just more of the "Here is your trophy" generational Bull...  Keep the faith Sojo....

By the way....  I need a hug...  Can we have a special battle mode for that?  I'm just so sad this thread even exists....  :sad:

dityboycom #48 Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostIamJMan999, on 04 November 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

That's exactly what this is coach, that is also what the little league of America is turning to as well. In addition to people feeling it necessary to dictate to others how to parent, what to eat, and how to live. If you read the OP's follow up post, he hasn't substantiate his argument in anyway. Rather he has chose to attempt to belittle everyone's counter argument and then even use someone else argument against him to support his own.

Zapperguy #49 Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:55 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostRuklukk, on 04 November 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

Stats are obviously relevant to the upper echelon players (I won't say tier because many of the people with the best stats like to pad them at T2) because the most used mod isHryunomod. I've heard some experienced pilots in PT say they feel "blind" without it. I was sad when I saw the game encouraged this type of modding and contemplated quitting because I see 3rd party alteration of a stock game as cheating. That people refuse to play on the same field as everyone else is a sign of inadequacy from the start. If everyone doesn't have it then no one should. But hey, that's just one guy's opinion. Obviously WG disagrees with me so I don't cry about the people who can't play a simple arcade shooter without someone else coding them assistance.

I wish there wasn't a listing of opponents. Would rather just run in to planes in the sky than knowing who is out there. Radar should be MUCH less effective. The funny part is that the mods make it so the better players are even better. Further expanding the separation of new and experienced players. The larger the gap the less inclined new people are to even try reaching for the chalice. Couple that with a player base that appears "cantankerous" on its best days and the population, or lack of, is explainable.

My only problem with the game right now is the MM. Fix that and I will be able to just play like before (see 1.4 and 1.5 even).

And which of the dozens of available mods have you explored to come to these conclusions? When I started playing this game over 2 years ago in closed beta testing, it had a 1st person camera view - which every flying game I've ever encountered has. I won't fly any other way; I want as close to a pilot's experience as possible when I'm flying. During beta WG had the wisdom to remove the most familiar view to virtual pilots in favor of either a 3rd person only or sniper view. If not for 1st person camera mods back in beta I would have stopped playing this game long ago. The camera mod I use actually puts me at a disadvantage because I can't see planes next to me. But from whatever perch you are preaching from you have deemed my need for a mod that restricts my vision as my inadequacy.

You claim mods make "better players even better". What proof do you have of this? I use a bunch of mods and still get whooped. Changing the color of a reticle or an arrow for people who struggle to see the stock color makes an otherwise unplayable game, playable for some. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about regarding mods in this game. Learn what they do and how they do it before you condemn them. There are no mods that actually effect flight mechanics, camo, or weapons. They are eye-candy.

In regard to good pilots flying in low tiers... did you know the planes are different from tier to tier, and its hard to find a nimble little biplane to fly at tier 8? Some people enjoy flying different planes for different reasons. Do you really believe the "tier 2 stat padders", you almost didn't speak of, would stop flying the planes they enjoy if stats weren't publicly available? If you don't want your opponents listed in game you can set up your game not to show them. But, because you decide you don't want to know who you're fighting doesn't mean the rest of the community has to change our settings to match, so we don't have that "advantage" over you.

:honoring:

ubeahurtin #50 Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:58 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostIamJMan999, on 04 November 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

Why do kids play sports? My little league baseball league had 12 teams. Only 1 team won, 1 team got second, and 1 team got third. Essentially all other teams got squat (losers). And yet year after year kids keep playing baseball, I don't know why they all just didn't quit. Because its a game/sport and they're winners and losers, and we all got a print out of the leagues wins/losses for each team. It sucks to be the team number 12 with zero wins, but if your not a IRL loser, then you practiced, worked harder, and tried to be a winner next year. What's wrong with letting people know where they stand?

There is a major difference between sports play and this game. In sports, one is either an amateur or a professional. An amateur sports participant generally doesn't pay to participate except for perhaps his jock strap and socks. There may be some selling of candy bars or other such items to help generate money for the league, but that's about it. The professional is paid to play. His pay depends upon his ability to perform in crunch time.

What we are talking about here is a game the where company needs A) players who want to play, and B) players who want to pay to play.

As for all the trifle about getting better and such, it really makes no difference if you don't have A, and B.

Right now, we are getting very few of set A. This translates to fewer of set B. The results will be a company who is TU.

Edited by ubeahurtin, 04 November 2014 - 08:59 PM.

Traurig_Yoda #51 Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:59 PM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 3 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
How does someone with OP's name start a thread like this, for real laughing hard....

ubeahurtin #52 Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:02 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
I am a reformed beater. Have seen the error of my ways. :teethhappy:

DrSinister #53 Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 121 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postubeahurtin, on 04 November 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

There is a major difference between sports play and this game. In sports, one is either an amateur or a professional. An amateur sports participant generally doesn't pay to participate except for perhaps his jock strap and socks. There may be some selling of candy bars or other such items to help generate money for the league, but that's about it. The professional is paid to play. His pay depends upon his ability to perform in crunch time.

What we are talking about here is a game the where company needs A) players who want to play, and B) players who want to pay to play.

As for all the trifle about getting better and such, it really makes no difference if you don't have A, and B.

Right now, we are getting very few of set A. This translates to fewer of set B. The results will be a company who is TU.

Interesting, because the Little League Football, Baseball, Soccer, Lacrosse and few other Little League sports here, my child would have to pay a participant fee to play is said league, so I guess these Little Leagues are "Professional?"

What you fail to realize is that Player vs Player video games are normally considered a "sport" or more known as "e-sport," League of Legends, DOTA, DOTA2, Call of Duty, heck even World of Tanks are "e-sports" (heck a lot of the e-sport games are F2P) and last time I check all these e-sports and even sports like Football, Baseball, Soccer, etc, have public stats.  Yet, I do not see a loss in players that these e-sports are disappearing.

Edited by DrSinister, 04 November 2014 - 09:08 PM.

dityboycom #54 Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:04 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG
This thread is a broken record, OP will not understand the concept behind pvp games.

ubeahurtin #55 Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View Postdityboycom, on 04 November 2014 - 09:04 PM, said:

This thread is a broken record, OP will not understand the concept behind pvp games.

I completely understand a player against player game. What I fail to understand is how you are going to "sell" the game to the losers. At least for any extended period of time. 

ubeahurtin #56 Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostDrSinister, on 04 November 2014 - 09:03 PM, said:

Interesting, because the Little League Football, Baseball, Soccer, Lacrosse and few other Little League sports here, my child would have to pay a participant fee to play is said league, so I guess these Little Leagues are "Professional?"

What you fail to realize is that Player vs Player video games are normally considered a "sport" or more known as "e-sport," League of Legends, DOTA, DOTA2, Call of Duty, heck even World of Tanks are "e-sports" (heck a lot of the e-sport games are F2P) and last time I check all these e-sports and even sports like Football, Baseball, Soccer, etc, have public stats.  Yet, I do not see a loss in players that these e-sports are disappearing.

All you are doing there is covering the cost of uniforms, etc. You are not paying to play unless something has seriously changed since my little league playing days.

dityboycom #57 Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View Postubeahurtin, on 04 November 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

I completely understand a player against player game. What I fail to understand is how you are going to "sell" the game to the losers. At least for any extended period of time. 

People who enjoy playing PVP games got over being a "loser" a long time ago. It has been referenced several times in this thread, look at the FPS games widely available and addictive. The majority of people who play those game suck, but stats are very closely followed, and people determine their self worth off of them.

dityboycom #58 Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View Postubeahurtin, on 04 November 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

All you are doing there is covering the cost of uniforms, etc. You are not paying to play unless something has seriously changed since my little league playing days.

It has definitely changed unless uniforms and field time cost upwards of $1000 - $2000 for a season.

ubeahurtin #59 Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View Postdityboycom, on 04 November 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

It has definitely changed unless uniforms and field time cost upwards of $1000 - $2000 for a season.

If that's the case, I'll stand corrected. Had no idea peeps are forking over that kind of money to play little league.

DrSinister #60 Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 121 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

The thing is if a player feels that they can not get better or just know they lack the skill to keep competitive in a player vs player environment/game/sport they will just quit, it does not matter if its WoWp, WoT, LoL, DOTA, Football, Baseball etc, even if stats were not in the picture.

View Postubeahurtin, on 04 November 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

Actually, I am paying for my child to play, like gas money, wear and tear on my vehicle to get my child to these practices, to the location of said sport's events (yes, some of the Little Leagues here I have to travel to take my child to an away game).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users