Remove Individual Pilots Stats From Public View

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

ubeahurtin #1 Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

Would like to suggest that pilot's be given the option of having their stats removed from public view. Retain the ability for each pilot to see and track their own stats, but not other player's stats if he has chosen the hide option.

The benefit to the company would be that individuals whose stats are below average would not be the subect of public humiliation and perhaps as well prevent those with higher (or lower) stats from being targeted. This may help improve the faltering, declining population and encourage more people to play the game which we need badly (as does the company). 

What kind of problems could/would be caused if such an idea was implemented?  

Edited by ubeahurtin, 06 November 2014 - 02:53 PM.

NyteFire #2 Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

Master Sergeant

• 12 battles
I think a privacy option should be made available in settings to allow the user to decide.

ubeahurtin #3 Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostNyteFire, on 04 November 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

I think a privacy option should be made available in settings to allow the user to decide.

That seems a reasonable option. Thanks!

SkyWolf__WM #4 Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:32 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10592 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
Meh....... all (flight) games show stats. Who cares?
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

dityboycom #5 Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

I don't understand what stats have to do with anything?

The game is literally built around a stat system, as it's straight pvp.

Do your jimmies really get rustled when someone tells you you're bad at a game?

If so, have you considered doing something else with your life?

I'm bad at this game, I still have a great time and have no problem hearing people talk crap when they kill me or prove my unproven theories wrong.

ubeahurtin #6 Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
I read an interesting commentary from an individual whose stats happen to be some of the highest on the game. He gave some very cogent and well articulated reasons he had for just this same idea, so it has some merit in the eyes of some. You are of course entitled to your own opinion.

Woomba #7 Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

The game may hide stats, but it won't stop the mods from showing it

It has it's pluses and minuses.  Good players can be targeted, but I can also chose to clear the tail of a good player over a sub par player, or at least know who i should stick around because they are reliable.

Edited by Woomba, 04 November 2014 - 04:41 PM.

ubeahurtin #8 Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostWoomba, on 04 November 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

The game may hide stats, but it won't stop the mods from showing it

Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on the query ability the game provides to its customers.

Woomba #9 Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:45 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

As someone whose been targeted from time to time, I've learned to live with it and just adjust my approach to fights.  I don't choose to humiliate players, I just fly my own game.  Those who are toxic to other players will do so with or without stats.  If they see you do anything they feel is wrong, they will tell you, and attempt to ridicule you.  This happens to even the best players.  

I've even pointed out my stats to demonstrate I know what I'm doing.  Ironically, they will say stats don't matter and continue their abusive behavior 

Edited by Woomba, 04 November 2014 - 04:47 PM.

dityboycom #10 Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

The only problem I see with rating systems, it's all up to the formula of the guy who made it. It weighs what ever they feel is most important, and may or may not be a representation of actual talent. That's probably why fella got the "stats don't matter" feedback. It's a well known fact, just because you've been doing something a long time and do it well, does not mean you can't learn something from someone less experienced, or not as qualified.

However, any sort of rating is probably better than no rating to pick who to keep alive in a priority crunch when you have 3 teammates with tails and you can only choose one.

In closing, we don't need to get rid of the stat system to become care bears the entire world is turning to resulting in a useless society. However, rather make our pickiness of stats less crude and stop picking on new players. Everyone had to start some where, and it's pretty obvious the majority of the top pilots have been playing for nearly a year, if not more.

Edited by dityboycom, 04 November 2014 - 04:56 PM.

oldiowaguy #11 Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 145 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
oh boy, this one again.:popcorn:

ubeahurtin #12 Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

I disagree that target selection depends upon the stats of another player. A good pilot is going to be aware of the situation going on around him without regard to player stats. 

Bottom line is, I think there are more negatives associated witht the current stat system than positives. This game is dying and dying fast. Conventional wisdom is not keeping it afloat. 

I do not play this game with any mods aside from a few skins I use from Hawkeye. The lack of seeing another pilot's stats has not been an impediment to steady improvement in my own game. It's my belief that the current stat system and public visibility is a detriment to the survival of this game, not an enhancement.

Other people can disagree and that's okay. Just my opinion and trying to think outside the box.

losttwo #13 Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Stat's huh, yeah,  what is it good for? absolutely nothing.

All games show stats, well almost. I haven to yet played a game with out some form of stat tracking.

Privacy option, good idea but doesn't dismiss the popularity of continually being seen in battles.

Currently people have a choice of looking peoples stats up and some will do this and others will not.

Those that do not usually know from memory who is good in a battle, trust me on this one.

You see some pilot in battle, round after round getting 2 or more kills, winning the game. You will remember him.

Then you look up his stats and you wonder why his are lower than yours, but he beats you every time.

What WG does with the current stat systems bears no importance on the game.

It doesn't measure INTELLIGENCE, TACTICS, or anything of real value to a match.

The stat's can not measure single handed wins against 4 enemy while one pilot type's

" you LOST him "~scipionmk  in chat.

Stats are only of A personal value and nothing more, only you can add the value and the weight.

In my opinion the OP obviously holds stats in high regard, far above the game and fun.

Edited by losttwo, 04 November 2014 - 05:14 PM.

MARS_REVENANT #14 Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 5721 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

I have not witnessed any public humiliation due to stats, only battle performance.

In terms of targeting the better players, you will know who they are by them not making themselves an available target, in terms of targeting poor players, they will make themselves easy targets.  This has nothing to do with stats being displayed, only in-battle performance.

I like the hall of fame, it gives me a bit of insight on how I am doing as well as compared to others.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

dityboycom #15 Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

How is it a detriment?

In the post above you say yourself good pilots are good irrelevant of being targeted or not. Then in the original post you said something along the lines of them suffering from being good pilots. Where is the public shaming you speak of? I rarely if ever see anyone getting based because of their "stats." I just feel as if this is a shot in the dark at a problem with the game.

DrSinister #16 Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:15 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 121 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Stats are like Antiques, they are worth to what ever that viewer values them at.  No, two people will value it the same way.

There are a lot things in life that uses a stat/metrics based system to determine your worth, any sport uses them, jobs uses them, heck my current job uses a metric system to determine my monthly bonus, my promotion, my yearly raises.

Edited by DrSinister, 04 November 2014 - 05:19 PM.

dityboycom #17 Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:16 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View Postlosttwo, on 04 November 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

You see some pilot in battle, round after round getting 2 or more kills, winning the game. You will remember him.

Then you look up his stats and you wonder why his are lower than yours, but he beats you every time.

The stat's can not measure single handed wins against 4 enemy while one pilot type's

Stats are only of A personal value and nothing more, only you can add the value and the weight.

In my opinion the OP obviously holds stats in high regard, far above the game and fun.

This guy knows.:honoring:

ubeahurtin #18 Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View Postlosttwo, on 04 November 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

Stat's huh, yeah,  what is it good for? absolutely nothing.

All games show stats, well almost. I haven to yet played a game with out some form of stat tracking.

Privacy option, good idea but doesn't dismiss the popularity of continually being seen in battles.

Currently people have a choice of looking peoples stats up and some will do this and others will not.

Those that do not usually know from memory who is good in a battle, trust me on this one.

Please note, the original suggestion is not to make stats unavailable to the individual for themselves. Of course they are important to the individual. You are arguing my own point, Lost. What is not important is that I know what Lost's stats are. For what? Knowing your stats in no way helps me be a better player.

IamJMan999 #19 Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

This game will, just like tanks eventually have clans/clan wars. This game is a competitive sport for most who play it. It is classified as MMO-PVP. Because this game is also free-to-play, that means that anybody that chooses to download it, fly around in a bi-plane and look at the pretty sights with no attention to team tactics or individual tactics in an effort to win can do so. Just because the sight seers don't have pretty stats does not mean that this game should in any way change its core purpose - competition. Statistics are merely a numerical representation of the output of competition. Remove stats in any way and you will demean the competition itself.

Traurig_Yoda #20 Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:29 PM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 3 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

This is a waste WG isn't going to change how they've been doing their games because someone is worried about their numbers being low. Let them focus on something that actually matters. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users