In the market for a new Joystick, suggestions?

joystick stick hotas throttle saitek mad catz cyborg

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

MikeyBugs95 #1 Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:10 PM

Senior Airman

• 1 battle

I've been searching for a new joystick after my old one (old Microsoft joystick... used with MFS 95!) lost calibration. I found a deal on craigslist for a Saitek X36F/X35T HOTAS combo for $50. I've also been looking at the Mad Catz Cyborg F.L.Y 5 stick/throttle, the Saitek X52 stick/throttle and the Mad Catz V.1 stick. If I can find the Saitek X55 Rhino HOTAS for cheap I might consider that. But does anyone have any suggestions for a good stick and throttle for under $70? Or can you make a recommendation for one of the aforementioned? I'm using a PC laptop with Windows 7. I am leaning towards the Cyborg F.L.Y 5 just for how it looks and I saw some YouTube reviews on it saying it is a good stick. I also forgot to mention the ThrustMaster T-flight HOTAS with throttle sticks. Are they any good?

Edited by MikeyBugs95, 26 October 2014 - 10:24 PM.

MO_E #2 Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3310 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Mikey,

I have the X36/x35. I tried this and found out that it does not work well with this game. Plus most of these units

are pretty old ( mines 10+ yrs old). Plus software is old for it.

I would suggest to check into the Logitech 3D Pro. It is less than $30 bucks, and alot of pilots use it.

Also check the joystick presets for a list of JS, that the game recognizes

MO

Pogo68 #3 Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Kinda stopped using the Thrustmaster when they got purchased by Guillemot because of quality control issues

I went through 2 X-45's and 2 X-52's, all went bad and kept giving erratic control inputs so I gave up on Saitek.

Same with Logitech, 5 joysticks in 3 years.

Had this CH Fighterstick for 3 or 4 years now, still working, accurate as hell.

Edited by Pogo68, 26 October 2014 - 10:50 PM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

NyteFire #4 Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:56 PM

Master Sergeant

• 12 battles

I use the Logitech 3D Pro.  Good stick.  I like it.  Been using it for years, so I have nothing to compare it to.  but it is comfortable and has enough buttons that I don't have t search for what I want to do.  I just think it, and it happens.

Blizzard36 #5 Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:18 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7 battles
  • [RABIT] RABIT

View PostPogo68, on 26 October 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

Kinda stopped using the Thrustmaster when they got purchased by Guillemot because of quality control issues

I went through 2 X-45's and 2 X-52's, all went bad and kept giving erratic control inputs so I gave up on Saitek.

Same with Logitech, 5 joysticks in 3 years.

Had this CH Fighterstick for 3 or 4 years now, still working, accurate as hell.

Pretty much exactly what I did, except I purchased my CH Combatstick 10 years ago now. Still going strong. Though I will admit to probably only giving it 5 years worth of use in there as I cycled through games.
Fly casual

SkywhaleExpress #6 Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:37 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostPogo68, on 26 October 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

Really? I thought that Thrustmaster has improved in the last 10 years. I've had the T Flight Stick X since it was still named the Top Gun Fox 2 Pro... They last me 3 years a pop, and I buy them in pairs so I always have one ready to go.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

MikeyBugs95 #7 Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:58 AM

Senior Airman

• 1 battle
I just watched a review and I think I'll be *eventually and if I can convince my parents as I don't have much money* going with the Cyborg FLY 5.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users