CT 1.6 control changes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Control changes (28 members have cast votes)

Has the roll/pitch input with mouse and keyboard improved?

1. Yes! Being able to roll and pitch with mouse and keyboard makes for a much better experience. (14 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. I have not noticed the change. (14 votes [50.00%])

Responsiveness when automatically rolling in turns has increased. Has that helped you?

1. I use the auto-roll, and find that it responds much better than before. (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. I use the auto-roll, but this change is not that different from the previous response level. (6 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

3. I use the auto-roll, and it feels less responsive than before. (1 vote [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

4. I have "auto-roll in turns" unchecked. (14 votes [50.00%])

Have you found the reticle jitters less in turns?

1. Yes! It feels much more stable. (6 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. Not particularly. (22 votes [78.57%])

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

Vote Hide poll

gunlion #1 Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:40 PM

Community Manager

• 1284 battles

We have fixed many issues with the mouse control scheme, as well as adding a minor adjustment to gamepad logic in this update. How do these changes feel to you? Have they helped? Please vote on the poll and give us your detailed feedback below. We would love to know if these controls feel better to you, any issues you have found, and suggestions you have to make them better. (Please elaborate on your suggestions; "Revert to 1.4 controls," for example, is not a helpful suggestion. Articulate what you would like to see in the controls!)

Mouse control scheme changes:

• Default “Mouse” settings were modified, some key assignments were changed.
  • Added the possibility to fine-tune the mixing of the roll- and pitch commands, which can be input with the keyboard and the mouse at the same time.
  • We fixed the display of control elements upon using the “Back camera view” (Default Q key). The controls are now rightfully inversed when looking behind your plane in this view.
  • Increased responsiveness of the “Automatically roll in turns” function for horizontal turns.
  • Reduced longitudinal trembling of the reticle in turns
  • Improved function "Target tracking adjustment" .

• Improved parallax consideration when aiming.
  • Improved control when orienting the camera to the backward hemisphere of the plane.
  • Fix for the problem of turn interruption on the “Hybrid” controls setting.

Gamepad control scheme changes:

• When rolling, the input from the triggers gets treated collectively, nullifying any movement if both triggers are pressed to the same extent at the same time. However, if you map any other command to the same triggers, both commands will be executed even if pressed at the same time and will not nullify each other.  

Chuck_norris10 #2 Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22026 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP
No changes for the Joystick users?:sads:

gunlion #3 Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:16 PM

Community Manager

• 1284 battles
Not in this current update, Chuck. We're still looking at the feedback and data we've received regarding the joystick and seeing what changes we can make to improve that experience. 

Chuck_norris10 #4 Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:30 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22026 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View Postgunlion, on 13 October 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

Not in this current update, Chuck. We're still looking at the feedback and data we've received regarding the joystick and seeing what changes we can make to improve that experience. 

So many of us were hoping for something,anything. 

I do have mine tweaked so it's not bad but not as good as before the last patch.

It would be nice to have 5 levels of axis settings we could set numbered 1 to 5 and the option of picking a setting depending on the plane your going to fly.

A lot of joystick users were waiting to see if the next patch would make them want to fly again so I see we were ignored again.

It worked superbly before the patch with minimal settings,never mind the hours of axis tweaking you have to do now.They had it right and not many complaints but now people are leaving because they cant fly anymore with a joystick,it's like playing asteroids again.

BrushWolf #5 Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:48 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10764 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
While joysticks desperately need help I would like to see the changes come incrementally instead of dumping the entire change on us like happened with 1.5. Better explanations of what each setting does would help a lot too. The current explanations are less than helpful with some of them implying they have nothing to do with control but they do.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

woofman34 #6 Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 6650 battles
  • [SG] SG

View PostBrushWolf, on 13 October 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

While joysticks desperately need help I would like to see the changes come incrementally instead of dumping the entire change on us like happened with 1.5. Better explanations of what each setting does would help a lot too. The current explanations are less than helpful with some of them implying they have nothing to do with control but they do.

its because they want you to test it first!

BrushWolf #7 Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10764 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostBrushWolf, on 13 October 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

View Postwoofman34, on 13 October 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

its because they want you to test it first!

Testing is one thing but with 1.5 they made changes of extreme magnitude and we are still tweaking our controls even now. Hopefully the change from 1.5 to 1.6 won't be as drastic so the learning curve won' be a cliff this time.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

paintballfreaks #8 Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12724 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

What do they mean when they say "for forward view camera." in the mouse control settings under the combined description, for the keyboard priority configuration?

Tuesdaysgone #9 Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:43 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6657 battles
Who's they?  tru tru:veryhappy:

"Virgil Caine is my name, and I served on the Danville train"
Not Scared to play SOLO!

wooly_bear #10 Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:05 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 16708 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
You said they are not making any changes to the joystick controls but now the cursor moves and is not stationary with the plane.  It is very hard, nearly impossible to keep the reticle on target.  I hope that WG doesn't incorporate this into the game when 1.6 goes live.   

T_McK #11 Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:49 AM

Airman Basic

• 6038 battles
  • [F-D] F-D

Flight characteristics are still broken. (joystick user)

I'm done testing until they decide to fix the horrible flight model.  It was great up until 1.5.

Ens #12 Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:19 AM

Master Sergeant

• 9399 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Improved parallax consideration when aiming.

Ummm i don't see this at all - did this change make it in?

Please set the focal point to something in the range of 300 to 500 meters. My bullets don't do much damage between 1k and infinity. In a fighter (anything other than a GA really) i hardly ever pull the trigger over 400 meters.

Desert is a screenshot from 1.5

Mountain is a screen shot from 1.6 CT

Attached Thumbnails

Breezy1 #13 Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:00 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 15048 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_

Gunlion,

I have flown about 35 battles in the test server today. It seems that most of us in NA are running from 220-350 ping on the RU test server. The RU pilots are saying that they are running around 22 ping. This, in itself, seems to be very problematic for giving a true test to the flight and targeting models (I fly with mouse and key). I have noted that keeping my lead reticle (guns) on air targets smoothly to be nearly impossible at this juncture. We (NA) are all just 'targets' for the RU testers. I have tried just about every custom mouse setting now available, to no avail.

I am truly thinking (and hoping) that very high ping is the root of the issue for me, and others in my clan which were testing with me today. Judging by how easily the RU pilots were downing us instantly each battle, I am hopeful that targeting and flight models will be workable as this is released to the production server. If not, the game will be absolutely unplayable for seasoned light/heavy fighter pilots, such as myself. I apologize for the less than concise review...

Edited by Breezy1, 14 October 2014 - 06:03 AM.

ViolentAngel #14 Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 16644 battles

The pitch/roll changes are great!  I had to set the keyboard commands priority to "Keyboard and Mouse" because the default selection was "Combined" I believe. Keyboard & Mouse feels much more like 1.4

I use auto-roll and keyboard roll keys both - I noticed that the auto-roll kicked in sooner than in 1.5, so I guess that would qualify as "more responsive."

I was not sure what the reticle jitters were - I don't think I noticed them before, and don't notice them now either.

For mouse/keyboard configuration I have only one complaint that is still an issue with 1.6 - the settings that allow the plane to continue rolling/following in the direction of the cursor seems to be over-ridden when you are firing your guns. In other words, while turning and firing, the aircraft will turn much more slowly than when not firing. This makes it difficult because you get your shot lined up, but as soon as you start shooting, your plane decides to stop turning - unable to hold the enemy in your sights this way.

"Fiery the Angels rose, & as they rose deep thunder roll’d"

-- William Blake

Mind_Eraser #15 Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 29550 battles
  • [THIEF] THIEF

Too much lag to vote on the last one: Have you found the reticle jitters less in turns?

With lag the jitters are still present

paintballfreaks #16 Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12724 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostTuesdaysgone, on 13 October 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

Who's they?  tru tru:veryhappy:

Tue tue they means... WG :) That's in one of there mouse control description and I have no idea what it is lol. 

Aurabird #17 Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6853 battles

View PostBreezy1, on 14 October 2014 - 05:00 PM, said:

Gunlion,

I have flown about 35 battles in the test server today. It seems that most of us in NA are running from 220-350 ping on the RU test server. The RU pilots are saying that they are running around 22 ping. This, in itself, seems to be very problematic for giving a true test to the flight and targeting models (I fly with mouse and key). I have noted that keeping my lead reticle (guns) on air targets smoothly to be nearly impossible at this juncture. We (NA) are all just 'targets' for the RU testers. I have tried just about every custom mouse setting now available, to no avail.

I am truly thinking (and hoping) that very high ping is the root of the issue for me, and others in my clan which were testing with me today. Judging by how easily the RU pilots were downing us instantly each battle, I am hopeful that targeting and flight models will be workable as this is released to the production server. If not, the game will be absolutely unplayable for seasoned light/heavy fighter pilots, such as myself. I apologize for the less than concise review...

As someone who flys with that kind of ping on a regular basis here on the NA server, I can safely say it's fine lol. I get 400+ ping on the test server, but the mouse + keyboard controls seem much better now (1.4 good). The lag makes it a little hard to tell but its much noticeably better, especially in an IL

gunlion #18 Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:53 PM

Community Manager

• 1284 battles

I do apologize for the latency. Thanks for sticking with it to help test out controls. 

Regarding some of the feedback made about the joystick controls, nothing should have been changed. Not sure why some people might be seeing differences from 1.5; it might also be a side effect of the latency. 

wooly_bear #19 Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:10 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 16708 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
I am hoping that is what it is.  As mentioned earlier, the ping is most likely the problem.  I have given up on the test server because it is impossible to hit anything.  I hope the Russians are giving good feedback because it will be hard for us to give an accurate report here in the U.S.

Balifore #20 Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:05 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5389 battles

View Postgunlion, on 14 October 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

I do apologize for the latency. Thanks for sticking with it to help test out controls. 

Regarding some of the feedback made about the joystick controls, nothing should have been changed. Not sure why some people might be seeing differences from 1.5; it might also be a side effect of the latency. 

This is pretty much S.O.P. (Standard Operating Procedure) for us in NA to never have any real concrete input because everything will be skewed because of the latency problems we all have.  If we can't get or keep our guns on target long enough to notice if they are better/worse than what they are now how are we to give input that might actually have some meaning to the developers?  

All this latency effects the controls, guns, flight characteristics and the like. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users