roadmap

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

J311yfish #1 Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17870 battles
  • [343] 343

Background

-- About 10 months ago I started a number of tech tree projects (7 countries) to better understand how the game might take shape over the longterm.

-- What follows is my best guess at a "roadmap" for future development as the game becomes more intricate with potential types of aircraft (beyond fighters and attack aircraft).

Disclaimer

-- I am not a developer, just an enthusiastic player.  Everything that follows is speculation, though I do my best to employ a logical process.

-- This is a way to synthesize information revealed through question/answer sessions (Gamecon, etc.) with what I have come to understand by researching many tech trees.

Goal

-- the first goal is to understand where the game is now in relationship to where it might be going.

-- the second goal is to establish a context for understanding developer decisions as the game progresses in the absence of an official roadmap.

How it works

-- Each stage below is defined by the game-changing mechanics that might be needed to implement a broader array of aircraft (night fighters, etc.).

-- It is very much like trying to identify distinct layers of the atmosphere as you travel upward.  I think you'll see what I mean.

-- The numbering of stages below suggest linear development, but it is better understood as a circular process with increasing intricacy/refinement.

-- It is just a framework to understand game development, okay?  It's just for fun.

Developers:  please feel free to add to the discussion

Moderators:  please delete this post if it is not constructive

Stage 0 -- foundation

Stage 1 -- fighters for all major powers

Stage 2 -- ground attack mechanics

Stage 3 -- clan mechanics

Stage 4 -- targeting mechanics + radar mechanics

Stage 5 -- terrain collision mechanics

Stage 6 -- market expansion

Stage 7 -- "the great beyond"

Edited by J311yfish, 09 January 2016 - 02:46 PM.

Tech tree projects:  JAPAN  /  United Kingdom  /  Sweden  /  Finland (skins/  Italy  /  France  /  Poland  /  China  /  Brazil  /  United States  //  Roadmap

Map proposals:  Panama Canal  /  Great Wall of China  /  Cliffs of Dover  //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial How to ignore forum posts and signatures

J311yfish #2 Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17870 battles
  • [343] 343

This post is reserved for a detailed look at Stage 1.

-- see here for now

Edited by J311yfish, 16 November 2014 - 12:26 PM.

Tech tree projects:  JAPAN  /  United Kingdom  /  Sweden  /  Finland (skins/  Italy  /  France  /  Poland  /  China  /  Brazil  /  United States  //  Roadmap

Map proposals:  Panama Canal  /  Great Wall of China  /  Cliffs of Dover  //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial How to ignore forum posts and signatures

GeorgePatton #3 Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7716 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Interested in hearing why you don't have Clan Wars on this list. Don't you think that would be one of the things they'd try to get out early on?

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

losttwo #4 Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:30 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

good to go, I enjoy your posts

and yeah I can follow that line of thinking

J311yfish #5 Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17870 battles
  • [343] 343

View PostGeorgePatton, on 27 September 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

Interested in hearing why you don't have Clan Wars on this list. Don't you think that would be one of the things they'd try to get out early on?

I can't speak to that because it does not stem logically from aircraft developments revealed through tech tree exploration.

If it is as popular in reality as it is on the forums, then yes, I think it would be part of a plan for greater population; but I cannot tell you exactly where/how that fits into the above.

The same can be said for the addition of new maps, scenarios, and other refinements that are not mentioned.

If you are asking me to guess anyway (despite having zero information) then I would consider it to be part of Stage 5: Market Expansion -- build the house, then invite the party.

View Postlosttwo, on 27 September 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

good to go, I enjoy your posts

and yeah I can follow that line of thinking

o7

Edited by J311yfish, 27 September 2014 - 10:34 PM.

MrPsychic #6 Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3232 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS
Looking good, I'm also looking forward to an expanded Japanese line.

xXCanineXx #7 Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:46 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 81 battles
Extended Jap line would be awesome.

Rarearth #8 Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:41 AM

• 39183 battles
  • [JE] JE

Edited by Rarearth, 17 October 2014 - 08:07 AM.

CrazyZouave #9 Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:14 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12393 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Love the creativity, the whole concept. First time I've seen anyone suggest float planes.   Nice.

Lego1157 #10 Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6376 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Great post J311y! Makes a lot of sense keep it up!:honoring:

Lego1157 salutes you! u[-_-]

J311yfish #11 Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 17870 battles
  • [343] 343
Retrospective:  World of Warplanes First Year in Review

Raindrops #12 Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:13 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2989 battles
  • [EDF] EDF
...tell the truth, the "retrospective" video isn't that impressive. Bit of a buff to the effects and a bloom layer. ...Woohoo..? They also should have showed off more of the newer maps, instead of cruising Bay the whole time.

I never said I was good.

USA needs GA too.

J311yfish #13 Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17870 battles
  • [343] 343

About 11 months ago I started this thread to get an idea of what might be around the corner.  It's time for an update.

United States

The American tech tree is approximately 50% implemented.  What's missing?

• Boeing/Seversky/Republic -- Boeing P-26, Seversky P-35, Republic P-43, Republic P-47, Republic F-84, Republic F-84F
  • Northrop, Curtiss, Douglas, Martin, others -- primary attack lines -- see Raindrops
  • Consolidated/Vultee/Convair -- secondary attack line for export market -- Consolidated A-11, Vultee V-11, Vultee V-12, Vultee Vengeance, and experimental models if continued.
  • Bell -- P-39, P-63, etc.  Robert Woods designs began at Lockheed, then Consolidated A-11, then to Bell which was an offshoot of Consolidated, so perhaps the Bell line might branch from there.
  • many premium opportunities

U.S.S.R.

The Soviet tech tree appears to be far along.  What's missing?

• Sukhoi
  • Tupolev
  • Petlyakov
  • premium opportunities

Germany

The German tech tree appears to be far along.  What's missing?

• Dornier
  • Heinkel
  • rocket-powered aircraft
  • premium opportunities

Japan

The Japanese tech tree is only 10-20% complete.  What's missing?

• Aichi / Kusho / Kugisho dive bombers
  • Nakajima fighters
  • Nakajima point interceptors
  • Kawasaki fighters
  • Kawasaki heavy fighters
  • premium opportunities

United Kingdom

The British tech tree is approximately 30-50% complete.  What's missing?

• Hawker
  • Gloster / Westland
  • Fairey
  • De Havilland jets
  • England abroad -- Australia, India, etc.

China

The Chinese tech tree has many premium opportunities.  Unless there is clear indication from developers, the aircraft known to have been used there may reside instead with their native countries.  Otherwise there is the potential for duplication of aircraft and supposed "cannibalization" of native progression, primarily American and Soviet.

France

The French tech tree has been announced, but not yet implemented.  What's missing?

• Morane-Saulnier / Arsenal / SNCASO
  • Bloch / Dassault
  • Dewoitine / SNCASE
  • Caudron, Breguet, Potez, SNCAC

Italy

The Italian tech tree has not been implemented.  What's missing?

• Fiat
  • Macchi / Aermacchi
  • Reggiane / Aerfer
  • Breda
  • premium opportunities

Sweden

The Swedish tech tree has not been implemented.  Relied upon British and American development early-on.

Finland

The Finnish tech tree has not been implemented.  Heroic history.  Breaks the rules.

Brazil

The Brazilian tech tree has not been implemented.  Like China above, this might be regarded as United States by proxy.  It might be that aircraft here show up as premiums or paint schemes for their native countries.

Summary

The potential growth for the game remains enormous.  The aircraft currently in game represent a fraction of what could be implemented, even before the consideration of floatplanes, bombers, etc.

Edited by J311yfish, 30 August 2015 - 03:21 PM.

Kegbane #14 Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1810 battles
  • [V1KNG] V1KNG
Don't forget the Polish tree! As long as you don't mind a couple locally manufactured Russian clones at top tiers.

J311yfish #15 Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17870 battles
  • [343] 343

View PostKegbane, on 30 August 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

Don't forget the Polish tree! As long as you don't mind a couple locally manufactured Russian clones at top tiers.

It has been a long while since I have looked at Polish aircraft in detail, but I remember several complications:

1) native aircraft development termination at around Tier III-IV.

2) scattered Polish pilots flying foreign aircraft in mid tiers

3) Soviet aircraft in later tiers

4) challenge of accurate tier placement due to Hispano-Suiza engines.

There may be a way to make meaningful progression out of #1-3 but it will involve, like China and Finland, a reliance on "operational" progression rather than "developmental" progression.

#4 would be aided by waiting for French tree to go live.

It would be fun to investigate further but given real-life commitments I cannot afford to poor my guts into that kind of project.  Hopefully a fan of Polish aircraft will step up to the plate and deliver a grand slam.  Nudge nudge, wink wink.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users