8 replies to this topic

Tophatfire #1 Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:20 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Screenshot of what I have found to be the best settings for me:

Explanation of my choices:

Basic settings only: UNCHECKED  CRITICAL  This is fairly critical and I didn't even figure it out at first, but if you leave this box checked none of the settings you make below will even apply.  This is a bit of a flaw in the UI design here as the settings only "gray out" slightly and can still be changed but the changes won't actually apply, and not all the settings even gray out like they ought to so the user might think they're still effective.  I bet this UI flaw accounts for at least some of the frustration many players are having with control settings because they feel like they can't influence the controls because the setting isn't obvious.  I only even noticed it because my Vertical Inversion setting wouldn't stick without this box unchecked, but I can be stupid that way sometimes.

Camera - Free  I found that this minimizes annoying and disorienting situations where the camera gets momentarily "locked" in an inverted state when dogfighting and such, and to just be a ton easier to put up with than the other options in a mouse environment.

Camera Inertia: 0%  I found that this maximizes the responsiveness of the camera.  It might feel a little bit jerky, but I find that it increases my situational awareness in dogfights.  And situational awareness is OP in this game. ;)

Camera Alignment Zone: 0%  Just found this to be the best and most workable

Camera Roll Rate: 78%  Actually I didn't find that this setting made one bit of difference one way or the other, at least not with Free Camera and the above settings.  I know players who play with it at 0% and players who swear by 100%, but honestly I couldn't see a difference in any of my training room scenarios

Camera Alignment Time: 0%  I guess some people might want the camera to be a little bit sticky when making a temporary juke move or such, but to my way of thinking camera lag is bad and I trust my eyeballs more than I trust WG's algorithm

Target tracking adjustment: UNCHECKED  This is another one that I couldn't tell mattered very much at least with my other selections, but between unchecking this and unchecking Automatically roll in turns I found that most of my control and aiming headaches since 1.5 went away and I could fly again.  Again, I trust myself more than WG's algorithm here and I don't want WG flying my plane for me any more than they already do.

Level-Off Rate: 6%  This affects the rate at which the plane's wings return to level after completing a turn.  The problem is if you're making a long banking turn or trying to stay on the tail of a less maneuverable aircraft, the game will constantly be trying to level your wings when you don't want them to, effectively overriding your turn.  Setting it here levels my wings a little but doesn't compete with me so much for control of the aircraft in dogfighting.

Roll Acceleration: 100%  Because why the heck not?  I can't imagine any situation when "make my aircraft less maneuverable for me please" could even possibly be advantageous to a player with any experience.  

Automatically roll in turns: UNCHECKED (IMPORTANT)  I can't tell that this setting actually did anything at all except make my plane want to dip the nose when making a turn, totally screw up my aim in dogfighting and make my plane a general pain the neck to fly.  With this option checked I felt like I wasn't flying my plane so much as arguing with it.  I'm not sure what the purpose of this option is (perhaps it's just a poor description translation from Russian?) because the plane still automatically rolls when the mouse cursor is moved anyway even with the option unchecked.  Again, I trust myself more than the algorithms here.  (UPDATE: from the 1.6 CT server it seems like this is a continuation of the old "Split S" setting) 

Automatic flaps:UNCHECKED (IMPORTANT) This is some training wheels nonsense and you shouldn't be playing with it past tier 3 or so.  I can see how it might be helpful for brand new players at low tiers, but otherwise it should be thought of as an "automatic bleed off my energy and slow my plane down whenever I turn" option.  It's not even a good option for turnfighters as it will tend to slow them below their optimums over time where they actually become less maneuverable.  Learn to use your flaps button in tight turns and it becomes entirely superfluous, and you get to choose when you spend that energy and enjoy a better performing plane in the great majority of situations.

Vertical Inversion: CHECKED (Completely Optional)  Every flight game I've ever played to this point going back to F-19 Stealth Fighter on the Commodore 64 just has my brain wired this way, just use whatever works for you.

Limit bank angles at low altitude: UNCHECKED  More training wheels nonsense meant to keep noobs from dipping a wing into the ground in a turn I guess.  It's of very little benefit because the flight model in this game doesn't even cause you to lose altitude in turns.  I trust myself more than the algorithm and I'd rather retain my maneuverability.

Comments, corrections and suggestions eagerly encouraged.

Edited by Rock18, 19 October 2014 - 05:46 PM.

Svensohn #2 Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
Nice thorough post, I've been struggling quite a bit with mouse settings since 1.5. Any chance you could post your Yaw and Pitch graph?

FlakValleyExpress #3 Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

Thanks OP on your notes, however I would like to remind everyone test your new settings in a Bot battle first to see what happens with the mouse changes. I clicked on something that I should not have done and lost control in a pub match. Luckily I was able to correct my mistake quickly to regain control again. You don't want to adjust your settings while fighting in the middle of a match. :ohmy:

Update: It makes my I-16 (e.) playable now.

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 19 September 2014 - 01:53 PM.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

Tophatfire #4 Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:34 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostSvensohn, on 19 September 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

Nice thorough post, I've been struggling quite a bit with mouse settings since 1.5. Any chance you could post your Yaw and Pitch graph?

Explained in the video, sorry.  I experimented with a slight parabola with the left and right pulled down a little, but I didn't find an advantage. If anything it felt like it made the plane's movements unpredictable so I went back to flat straight across the top.

Edited by Rock18, 19 September 2014 - 06:38 PM.

_Garfong_ #5 Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:01 AM

Airman Basic

• 7 battles
Thank you for the guide OP.

Svensohn #6 Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:26 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostRock18, on 19 September 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Explained in the video, sorry.  I experimented with a slight parabola with the left and right pulled down a little, but I didn't find an advantage. If anything it felt like it made the plane's movements unpredictable so I went back to flat straight across the top.

Okay, that's what I've been using. Thanks so much!

StephenHopkins #7 Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:42 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
Thank you for this!

pink_baron #8 Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

oh my goodness. this could be our life saver.

I had my  Automatically roll in turns  and  Target tracking adjustment, checked. okay, we should uncheck both.

The rest are similar(free camera lover here). but your line setting in the graph... i'll try and report in a few days.

THANKS mate:honoring:

update9/30/2014: i just drop by and say , thank you very much Ace Rock18 for your tutorial. It's working very well. (but i use different line settings in the advanced, yaw and pitch section). My planes still got shot down alot, but i can stay on my target and turn way better. WoWP should get this pinned.

Edited by pink_baron, 30 September 2014 - 06:44 PM.

Dirt_Knapp #9 Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:44 PM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
Amazing thank you.

Also tagged with mouse, controls

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users