CT 1.5 feedback: Controls

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

gunlion #1 Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

Community Manager

• 1284 battles

Lots of control changes in this Update. The controls have undergone a lot of adjustment to increased accuracy and responsiveness for mouse and joystick, and gamepads have been completely reworked. Please give us your detailed thoughts on how these control changes feel for you compared to the current controls on the live servers. Are they better? Worse? Are there things you'd like to see kept and other things removed or reverted? 

The full list of changes is here:

Mouse

• Increased accuracy and responsiveness in all modes. Changed roll-mechanics, simplified target-tracking when turning
  • Refined camera, improved camera behaviour in "On horizon" mode
  • Mouse settings screen was reworked and simplified. For fine tuning all templates now have auxiliary parameters which can be toggled on by unchecking the option "Basic settings only"
  • New option "Pointer speed adjustment". When it's turned on -- the control system evaluates the displacement speed of the mouse cursor from the center of the screen and helps to track the target when turning
  • The option "Level-Off Zone Size" was removed. Now it will be automatically adjusted based on the plane's characteristics if levelling-off was turned on (slider "Level-Off Rate" set to any position other than the leftmost)
  • The option "Split S Height" was replaced with "Diving turn". If turned on, the value will be adjusted automatically based on the plane's characteristics

Joystick

• Increased accuracy and responsiveness in all modes
  • Refined camera
  • Settings screen completely reworked
  • New option to adjust the camera lag effect
  • New option to adjust the sensitivity of the sniper mode
  • New option to adjust the camera rotation speed when using mini-joystick ("hat button")
  • Improved mini-joystick in discrete mode
  • Introduced smooth overview mode when using the mini-joystick ("hat button")
  • New option of using additional axes to look around (control the view)
  • New filter for axes noises added
  • Added option to change, adjust the axes threshold

Gamepad

• Completely reworked gamepad controls
  • Settings screen added

Keyboard

• Separate control scheme "Keyboard" was removed. For full emulation of this scheme, you can use the joystick profile (but you need to delete the axes settings first)

F16SkyPilot #2 Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 19506 battles

Because I exclusively use JS, my opinion is favored in that respect.

I found the accuracy and responsiveness of the JS settings to be much better, but would still like to see reticule in camera mode.

Not sure what benefits 'filter for axes noises' contribute.

Top-hat camera viewing is much better, although I have seldom used it in the past because of its' limitation.

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself."

Phrap #3 Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 4037 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
I've heard that the gamepad rework makes it basically emulate the mouse-driven camera cursor style of gameplay. One person I know that saw this hates it, and now has to try and emulate the current (live) gamepad behavior by using the joystick control setup.

Chuck_norris10 #4 Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:19 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20983 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

Ya know I spent close to 6 months tweaking my 3d joystick in so I could fly straight and get hits and now i'm flying like a drunken sailor with your "fix".

I tried everything,going back to default settings,checking and unchecking pov and still.....my joystick has never been worse,I cant even get a hit because my plane is floating around like Mick Jagger on acid.

Looks like you incorporated more theatrics then a real fix IMO. 

I only flew two battles after a week away at work before I typed this and I dont even think I want to fly tonight and I was looking forward to a weekend of flying.

Some planes seem ok but my pega and tsh are all over the place.

I'll try a few more but if my 30 planes all behave like this on one of my 2 joysticks,I will not be playing anymore.

Knight44 #5 Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5709 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
I had the same problem as Chuck at first, but then cleared out my cache and reset the Joystick. Found that I could make my planes flight more smooth and stable by setting the slider for axis noise to ~25% for pitch, yaw, and roll. Set a small dead zone and left everything else alone. Will try tweaking the control axis curves as before to see if I can get more control over some of the more responsive aircraft. It will take some experimentation, but the added capabilities look like they will provide the capability to better fine tune joystick control.

woofman34 #6 Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 6650 battles
  • [SG] SG
I enjoyed my flight time this morning on the test server , I had know problem getting 3 or 4 kills in a battle ...Very maneuverable

paintballfreaks #7 Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:29 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12724 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Are these changes the same as in iteration 1? Or have they completely re-worked them again in the 2nd iteration?

Edited by paintballfreaks, 10 August 2014 - 12:29 AM.

Ens #8 Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:48 AM

Master Sergeant

• 9399 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Loving the changes to these points! finally feel like using a mouse in a dive isn't tying my hands behind my back :)

• Increased accuracy and responsiveness in all modes. Changed roll-mechanics, simplified target-tracking when turning
  • Refined camera, improved camera behaviour in "On horizon" mode

The_Brett #9 Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

Senior Airman

• 8347 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
I've been having rudder problems in the test. The rudder does not seem anywhere near as responsive as it does in 1.4

Ens #10 Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

Master Sergeant

• 9399 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
I recently got a Joystick - Logitech 3D Pro - and i still don't have it tuned in for live but i'm not finding it any easier to get it to a point where i could use it in combat on CT. I just cant seem to get 'fine' control when i want to make small accurate movements - hitting the new ground targets is near impossible for me with the joystick. I'll keep trying - all i'm saying is that the Joystick changes aren't magical yet ;)

Carl_the_Cuttlefish #11 Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3930 battles
THANK THE LORD THAT A AND D ARE NOW DEFAULT ROLL KEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"It's about to get real inky in here!!!"

- Carl the Cuttlefish, the artist formerly known as S01836775, now in an all new user friendly format.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining in my posts 

And why do we balance???

KaptaynAmeryka #12 Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:03 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4902 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

What's the deal with changing the gamepad controls? I know I'm not the only one who uses one to fly. Why change something that wasn't broken at all? As it stands now, the gamepad is now like flying with the mouse. You move your sticks to move the camera to move the cursor to aim... Seriously? It's ridiculous! The gamepad was perfect. Now, however, it's difficult to even fly around.

A stop-gap solution exists though: Switching to "joystick" schema and configuring to fly under that. I did it on the live server and I even adjusted my axis to what I feel comfortable with. However, on the test server, things are different. The camera is too snapping - even after playing with the sensitivities for it - and the axis curves aren't affected the control input like they should.

So, again I ask: Why in the hell would you change something that has been working perfectly since before launch? Seriously, Wargaming, please give it up and leave the damn controls alone.

holakc #13 Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7273 battles

i allways use "wot mouse" controls since closed beta, i use it on default settings with only a few changes on keys.

with this patch i have to re-learn to fly....

no please, no, dont change the mouse!!!  i dont mean the options i mean the way it moves.

its the MAIN control for most of the players and you should not change it when is working. you can add aditional settings, you can remap keys or add more binded keys. but please dont touch the mouse movement. please

Edited by holakc, 15 August 2014 - 10:52 AM.

www.hitbox.tv/holakc

WoWp clan (currently not allowed to have a diferent from my WoT clan) //// WoT clan = [ACA] "Argentina Compañía Acorazada"

ArrowZ_ #14 Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:01 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 9554 battles
I kinda like the new mouse changes. More responsive. At least that's what the patch note said :veryhappy:

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

Carl_the_Cuttlefish #15 Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3930 battles
I didn't have a problem with the new mouse controls

"It's about to get real inky in here!!!"

- Carl the Cuttlefish, the artist formerly known as S01836775, now in an all new user friendly format.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining in my posts 

And why do we balance???

TheHuffpuff #16 Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4456 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

I don't have much problem with new mouse controls. Rudder seems less effective.

mackie69 #17 Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Airman Basic

• 3152 battles
tweakbz-" leave the damn controls alone"   I second this comment, my Xbox 360 windows controller (gamepad) is pretty much freaking useless, bring back the old gamepad controls, the old gamepad contols worked flawlessly, this new pos control scheme you can't do anything, and that annoying camera follow crap, makes it near impossible to fly. Please bring back the old gamepad control scheme.

poopyplane #18 Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:30 AM

Airman Basic

• 58 battles
They ruined this and on xbox controller. Playing wowp with xbox controller is now like playing call of duty with a joystick. They should have just taken away the option to use a controller if this was there plan then I wouldn't have spent hours trying to figure out how to fix it. 

SCoURgE76 #19 Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 9824 battles
I am strictly a keyboard user no mouse use other than before/after battle.... .I was able to get my center cursor to stay centered on plane somehow with explanation of joystick settings I believe... .. . but I have no throttle anymore while I noticed other settings still do?... .. .you need to be a rocket scientist to be able to figure out settings... .. .and when I finally got a playable version I have no throttle ( while others do )  and basically fly around at the same speed with just boost to speed me up ?

Bob_The_magician #20 Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

Airman Basic

• 481 battles

Hello, Bob The Magician here long time listener first time caller.

I didn't get to play the game for a long time before the patch went live, but what I experienced when using an Xbox 360 controller was sharp and fluid. Then the patch went live, now it feels like an eagle flying a blimp. The new controller setup is pretty hard to get used to, going from flying the plane to pointing the camera and letting the computer fly for you. That having been said I can find no real advantages to having the controller setup in this way. I don't like to to nit pick (but I am going to nit pick).

Firstly it seems that the developers think that the majority of people who use controllers are left handed having the controls setup southpaw from the start.

The "sensitivity" controls the time it takes the plane to react to camera, and no matter low you set it there is still a split second for the plane to react.

all of the camera options don't really do much.

There are some options in the controls menu that can't be mapped to certain buttons, and some options that can't be mapped at all.

you can't lock the camera behind the plane.

you can't map the triggers at all.

My biggest nit pick is that the developers assumed that people were going to love the changes and didn't bother keeping old setup around as a safety net.

Of course I could be very wrong and they are working very hard to fix the game pad portion of the options.

other than that I like the changes that came with the patch, although they could have kept the headquarters and made them bigger and more bad [edited].

Edited by Bob_The_magician, 27 August 2014 - 12:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users