Miles M20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

tyy #1 Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8 battles
  • [BLIST] BLIST
If you look at the numbers this plane looks pretty bland...oddly enough though I am having a good run of success in it...like the Skua it should get shot out of the sky yet it always finds a way  to the next kill...maybe it is surprise....maybe the fact that it is steady as a rock when aiming and shooting..i don't know but it seems to work

HZero #2 Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 2 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
You'll have to teach me, I am abysmal with it.   I think I've had one good match.

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

Tonzzo #3 Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

Captain

• 702 battles

View PostHZero, on 01 August 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:

You'll have to teach me, I am abysmal with it.   I think I've had one good match.

YUP!!!!  I hate, hate, hate the M20!!!!!!  Only Premium Aircraft out of all of them I feel I want my money back on! :angry:

Teach us the ways of the M20 PLEASE :great:

I NEED LOTS OF HELP! 

tyy #4 Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:17 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8 battles
  • [BLIST] BLIST
well the first thing to realize (this is after only 30 battles so take it with a grain of salt) is that with fixed landing gear you are a late thirties fighter....don't mix it up with anything above you in tier unless they are low and out of energy or a heavy you can out turn....other than that be an opportunist.....guys busy with other planes will turn right into my line of fire and then I have eight guns to blast them with on a very steady gun platform...its worked so far....also i think the 303 agility rating is misleading....the M20's turn is quite tight....oh....and never ever ever engage a Yak 1M or Spitfire IX...run from them like plague....

J311yfish #5 Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2670 battles
  • [343] 343

I don't have the plane but I have been thinking about getting it.  Here is a comparison to a max'ed out Spitfire and A6M2:

I only chose Spitfire and A6M2 because they are familiar to me, but I think it is a worthy comparison in any case.

M.20 turns like a Spitfire.  It may have a tighter turn radius due to lower speed, and may out-turn a Spitfire if it can bring that Spitfire down away from its optimal altitude.

M.20 in the straightaway otherwise performs like an A6M2 with greater resilience and guns that do not overheat as quickly.

This is just a paper analysis but might be a fair place to start.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

Aurabird #6 Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 3 battles
I loved the M.20 in the beta, it's such a tiny little underdog/killing machine! 8 guns is nothing to joke about either! Though I will say that back then I felt like I was the only person doing well in it. Right now though, I don't have one but it seems like so many people do badly with it.

Maybe it's just one of those little niche planes to fly

tyy #7 Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:01 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8 battles
  • [BLIST] BLIST
i love the underdog ugly duckling factor too...I must admit

Darcel_Jones #8 Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
The Rodney Dangerfield of Tier 5 premiums,it gets no respect,but in the right conditions it can be a beast. 

J311yfish #9 Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2670 battles
  • [343] 343

One of the details not accounted for in the stats above is the fact that it has a bubble canopy for all-around visibility.  It is described as "providing a far better field of view than that possessed by any fighter of the time" (referring to Spitfire and Hurricane).

It is also described as being all-wood construction and having double the ammo and fuel of other fighters (made possible by fixed landing gear), which might make it more prone to catching fire.

Anyway, some things to look for.

It was designed in just over 9 weeks, as a contingency in case there was a shortage of Spitfires and Hurricanes.

Source: Miles Aircraft Since 1925, by Don L. Brown (1970 Putnam)

Edited by J311yfish, 02 August 2014 - 05:14 PM.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

HZero #10 Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 2 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

The biggest problem for me is that it bleeds speed horrendously and accelerates slowly.  So whatever you move you are using on your opponent, you'd better make sure you pull it off and the the .303's do their job, or you are going to be a sitting duck afterwards.

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

J311yfish #11 Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2670 battles
  • [343] 343

View Posttyy, on 01 August 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

i don't know but it seems to work

View PostDarcel_Jones, on 02 August 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

The Rodney Dangerfield of Tier 5 premiums

^ those are both excellent ways of describing it.

Based on the Spitfire/A6M comparison above, and the realization that I won't be getting Meteor this month (out of town for week #3 event), I went ahead and got the Miles M.20 yesterday and geared it up like this:

To amplify strengths:

Reinforced Covering II

Incendiary Ammo*

Improved Reflector Sight

To mitigate weaknesses:

Aircraft Polish I

120-octane gasoline

Automatic Fire Extinguisher

* I am assuming that the the % chance to cause a fire is modified by both the number of machine guns and rate of fire.  If that is truly the case then 8x7.7mm should be one of the best cases in the game for the use of incendiary ammo.

I have only flown about 20 battles so far but it is certainly a blast!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users