Tech Tip – Port Forwarding and other items

Network enhancement

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

Captain

• 25 battles

*** Mods please pin for forum referral ***

I just finished my discussion with WG tech support on my network issues in playing WoWP. I thought I would pass on a few tips to the WoWP community in what was discussed. What will be posted is not a “cure all” for WoWP network problems, but rather it will reduce the amount of headaches you get as a result of game play.

Pre-game procedures

Spoiler

Tracking your network problem results using Pingplotter software

Spoiler

Now we are into the interesting part of port forwarding.  What is port forwarding? These videos can explain.

We need to have the following ports open for Worldofwarplanes.exe and WowpLauncher.exe in your antivirus/firewall/router settings:

UDP Range: 20014 and 32801-32825

TCP Range: 53, 80, 443, 3128, 8081, 8088, 20000-25000, 32801, and 32803

Voice Chat: UDP 3478, 3479, 5060, 5062, 5222, and 12000-29999

To configure your router for port forwarding, you might want to use

PortForward.com link

As a reference, it contains detailed info on how to set up ports on almost any router. It takes about 15 minutes to do if you are new to the process.

For the Antivirus, you want to check to see if the WoWP applications are in your AV exclusion list. If not then you want to add them. Below is my AV exclusion setup:

Spoiler

The firewall setup will vary according to which firewall software you are using.  For my firewall I have these settings setup for the WoWP applications.

Spoiler

Choose your Windows Operating System and select the link below for more information on Windows Firewall software:

Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308127

Windows Vista: http://windows.micro...indows-Firewall

Windows 7: http://windows.micro...indows-Firewall

Pingplotter Results Before Port Forwarding

Spoiler

Pingplotter Results After Port Forwarding

Spoiler

Now my network issues have not been totally resolved, however there is a marked improvement since I have activated the port forwarding. My ping rate with Verizon FIOS in WoT is down 10 points and my WoWP ping rate is down 20 points.

I use to get the following in WoWP:

Old setup ping 45ms to 80ms

I now get

New Setup ping 23ms to 38ms

These procedures will not relieve instantaneously any cures headache, neuralagia, toothache, earache, backache, swellings, sprains, sore chest, swelling of the throat, contracted cords, and muscle stiff joints, wrenches,  dislocations, cuts and bruises.  No-furbearing animals were harmed during the creation of this article. Reading this article does not constitute any legal advice.

This post is not a cure for everything that is computer related with WoWP. End user results will vary.  However this post will help lessen your frustrations with WoWP and make it more enjoyable for you in playing the game. See you in the sky.

Edit: portforward link

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 23 July 2014 - 05:21 PM.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

Fuzzybrainlizard #2 Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN
This should also be made available through the main homepage!   Nice write up FlakValleyExpress

ColdBackHAND #3 Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 5 battles
Why do people insist in saying "my ping or my ping rate" instead of latency. You read that and your looking around going wtf fuck is "my tool is better".

Edited by ColdBackHAND, 23 July 2014 - 05:38 PM.

Daeima #4 Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostColdBackHAND, on 23 July 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

Why do people insist in saying "my ping or my ping rate" instead of latency. You read that and your looking around going wtf fuck is "my tool is better".

Ping is the time it takes to get to a place one way, latency is the round trip time. Not really worth getting worked-up over which term is used.

To the OP:

Great info, thanks for posting this. :great:

FlakValleyExpress #5 Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Captain

• 25 battles

View PostColdBackHAND, on 23 July 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

You are correct in the nomenclature of the latency, however I wrote it very simple that way on purpose.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

losttwo #6 Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

latency/ping.......kind of like the argument around recovered/ recovering alcoholic.

nothing more than semantics.

In the upper left hand corner of the game is " FPS#### PING##### "

Far easier to just use what people are familiar with rather than multiple words to confuse a novice.

Thanks Flak for this write up it is extremely helpful. I have just gone through the entire process from support pages, contacted support and they had me rinse and repeat.

Problem still not solved.

At this point I am going to try to reboot my laptop and see what happens.

A quote from http://www.pingplotter.com/gsg/howitworks.html

"The performance of a network target (i.e.: web site, service or similar) can be measured by sending a ping packet. Your computer sends a "packet" of data (sometimes called an "echo request") to a remote computer or router. When this remote computer or router receives this data, it responds back (sometimes called an "echo reply"). If we measure the time it takes for the packet to get to that site, and then return to you, we call this the ping time or latency. In general, the lower this is, the better your connection to a site. Usually this time is specified in milliseconds (1/1000 of a second). The abbreviation for milliseconds is ms. "

Edited by losttwo, 23 July 2014 - 08:29 PM.

ColdBackHAND #7 Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 5 battles
I'm in a piss poor mood due to quitting smokeless tobacco. Two days so far.   And it's taking great restraint not to respond any further to the above posts. 

Verishady #8 Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1 battle
Nice write up Flak, will follow for reference. +1

ArrowZ_ #9 Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:24 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 947 battles

You know, I think this might just have fixed my latency issue. Thanks! :great:

Excuse the necro, oops :trollface:

Edited by ArrowZ_, 16 August 2014 - 03:32 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

Tuesdaysgone #10 Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles

Wow hope it works, Thanks Flak!  Oh how often is this needed?

"Virgil Caine is my name, and I served on the Danville train"
Not Scared to play SOLO!

Also tagged with Network, enhancement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users