Pilots, prepare for a competition unlike any other in World of Warplanes as dexterity replaces firepower and speed trumps supremacy! Put down the weapons, grab your cans of octane, and plot your maps: the Air Race Grand Prix is here!
The Air Race Grand Prix is an event where individual players will compete with each other in a series of harrowing races through winding chasms, under bridges, and across vast expanses of ice, sand, and wilderness! Players will compete in "Cups"--races across a group of maps--to earn prizes; top speedsters will move forward into further Cups for chances at even bigger rewards!
Registration for the Air Race Grand Prix is now open! Interested players, please post in this thread and let us know if you wish to compete. Registration ends at 23:59 Pacific Friday, July 11! You have one week to toss your hat into the ring!
We will assign brackets for the race by no later than Sunday, July 13.
Races will begin Monday, July 14! (See below)
We will be providing a link to the modded maps later this week for players to download and check out prior to the race.
Races are divided into cups, each with three maps:
Sand Cup - Fly over desert mesas, blistering hot deserts, and sandy beaches with the fastest time! This is the entry-level cup.
Wood Cup - Dense woodland areas and scenic forests are your racetracks in this intermediate cup!
Ice Cup - The final cup in the first Air Race Grand Prix, only the top racers will make it to this stage!
Cups will be played live during War Academy each Monday at 17:00 Pacific beginning July 14. Up to 14 players may compete in a single race, with two WG observers present. (One on each team) Players will be competing on the same team. Depending on the number of players who enter into the Grand Prix, the number of races and groups that we run may vary.
Pilots will be scored using a series of points based on their lap times: 1st place receives 10 points; 2nd 9 points; 3rd 8 points; 4th 7 points; 5th 6 points; 6th 5 points; 7th 4 points; 8th 3 points; 9th 2 points; and 10th 1 point. Players coming in lower than 10th place are awarded no points. The top 3 pilots with the highest point scores in a cup will be eligible to move on to the next up, with bigger and better rewards!
Plane and Tier Restrictions
During the Sand Cup, players will be restricted to the following Tier III fighters:
- Hawk 75M
- I-16 (e.)
- Ar 80
- Bristol 133
- For our first foray into racing, we're going to keep the rules clean and simple: this is a contest of speed and maneuverability, not weaponry! During the race players are prohibited from firing upon teammates, using bombs or rockets, or intentionally ramming other players. Any player who willfully attacks their fellow racers will be disqualified from the Grand Prix.
- To preserve tension and make the race more frantic, we will be imposing a height limit of no more than 100 meters above ground level.
- The course must be completed in its entirety. Players are not allowed to stray from the track, skip obstacles, or otherwise deviate from the course.
- Pilots will begin the race 1 minute after the round begins, to allow all players a fair starting point. (This is done so that spawn position doesn't affect pole position) Pilots who start early may be docked points, disqualified from the race, or even the cup!
- Pilots must be present on the days they are scheduled to race! Missing any race will result in 0 points earned!
During the Sand Cup, the first cup players will run, you will be competing for the following prizes:
- 1st place - 2500 gold
- 2nd place - 2000 gold
- 3rd place - 1500 gold
- 4th place - 1000 gold
- 5th place - 500 gold
Prizes for the Wood Cup and the Ice Cup will be revealed at a later date!
Be sure to register, and good luck, Pilots!
--Ghostprime was here!