XP-50 Firepower, etc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Navis_Nobilite #1 Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1 battle
I was thinking of picking up the XP-50, but comparing it to Tier 6 fighters, it's kind of bad. The Fw 190A5 and the Yak9 both have more firepower than it. The Yak is also more maneuverable. It seems the XP-50s real advantage is mainly speed and altitude and hit points. Is it really worth messing with, considering it appears to be more of a "medium" fighter than a heavy?

IPlayWithAppleTree #2 Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 348 battles
Yeah it is worth messing with because it can outmaneuver every Heavy Fighter out there all tiers lightest configuration. So hunt heavy fighters.

AtrumDeus #3 Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles
This aircraft is a dedicated heavy hunter. It is more manueverable than even the P-38J, and is faster, too. It is a little light on armor, so don't stick around in a furball. And it benefits greatly from premium ammo. Cull a heavy fighter from the group, and chase it down to kill it. If you are lucky, then you will be out of the fight at that point, free to take a scan of the map and see where you can do the most good, and head back in. It may feel like you can turn with a fighter, but do not try it. Take long, sweeping passes if you must engage with fighters, and then get out.
"There are three things absolutely useless to a pilot; Air above you, runway behind you, and ammo still on the ground."

CrashTailspin #4 Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:38 AM

Squadron Lead / Wargaming Stunt Pilot

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 689 battles

View PostAtrumDeus, on 06 July 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

This aircraft is a dedicated heavy hunter. It is more manueverable than even the P-38J, and is faster, too. It is a little light on armor, so don't stick around in a furball. And it benefits greatly from premium ammo. Cull a heavy fighter from the group, and chase it down to kill it. If you are lucky, then you will be out of the fight at that point, free to take a scan of the map and see where you can do the most good, and head back in. It may feel like you can turn with a fighter, but do not try it. Take long, sweeping passes if you must engage with fighters, and then get out.

AtrumDeus hit the nail squarely on the head.  The XP-50 is a solid Tier 6 Premium heavy fighter.  I use this to hunt down P-38s, 410s, Mosquitoes, and Fw.190A-5s with reckless abandon.  Why those specific aircraft?  Because the XP-50 will outmaneuver any and all of those aircraft, and has the best top speed of any of those aircraft as well.  Sucker any of those into a 1 v 1, and with any luck, you'll be able to out-fox it in a maneuvering engagement.

As far as firepower is concerned - yeah, it's lighter than most heavies at Tier 6.  However, this can easily be made up for with High Explosive rounds for the cannons and Armor-Piercing Incendiary rounds for the .50 caliber guns.  Also, by waiting until you're within 600m / 1,800ft before opening fire, you'll do more damage per hit.  The combination of these two items will quickly chew up any light fighter, and put a serious hurt on heavy fighters / ground attack aircraft.

To reference specifically the OP's listed aircraft (Fw.190A-5 and Yak-9):

Aircraft Comparisons

I earned my XP-50 and Ki-88 via the Summer Wind event.  It took about 30 seconds to realize how much I loved it (boost climb to 10,000ft in less time than it took the P-38J to do it, with enough firepower to chew up a 410 in no time).  Yes, please. 

The XP-50 will have a seat on the front shelf right next to my P-38s, Mossie, 190A-5, and a few others.  It's a definite keeper.

You must not question "The Forum Laws".  Any questioning of "The Forum Laws" results in automatic removal and / or locking of any post, regardless of the level of constructiveness or thought provocation.

AtrumDeus #5 Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:59 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles

Crash:

Got Mine during that event as well, and I love flying it. Though I do occasionally fall prey to tunnel vision like any other pilot, trying to turn with something just a tad more maneuverable. Love this plane, and it is fantastic for training P-38 pilots.

"There are three things absolutely useless to a pilot; Air above you, runway behind you, and ammo still on the ground."

Goose_6 #6 Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:45 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 24 battles
  • [_CIA_] _CIA_

one of the most fun planes in my hangar.  yes the guns are a little light but as stated above...make up for it with ammo.  the thing I like the most about the plane...it climbs like a cat up a tree in climbing gear!   just doesn't seem to slow down much in a climb and as far as turn goes....not a heavy anywhere can compete.  even fighting T7 and T8 its noteworthy and has a decent chance.  highly recommended plane to anyone who likes heavies.  you will be amazed.

:medal:

GiN_nTonic #7 Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

Captain

• 2473 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
The XP-50 is a great plane.  The guns don't have a good rating, but the plane as a whole is just really solid.  You aren't going to go head-to-head with anyone like many HF, but you can also turn on your enemy planes almost as well as a LF.   Speed in this plane is just awesome.

Zen_Reaper #8 Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles

I'm not into the Heavies so much... but even I enjoy this plane.

It looks cool for starters... and it plays very well.

It was worth the Summer Wind grind to get this one into my hanger.

As far as Premium planes go, I think they really did us justice with this one.

- Zen

Zen Reaper

count_baracca #9 Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Master Sergeant

• 24 battles

View PostCrashTailspin, on 06 July 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

AtrumDeus hit the nail squarely on the head.  The XP-50 is a solid Tier 6 Premium heavy fighter.  I use this to hunt down P-38s, 410s, Mosquitoes, and Fw.190A-5s with reckless abandon.  Why those specific aircraft?  Because the XP-50 will outmaneuver any and all of those aircraft, and has the best top speed of any of those aircraft as well.  Sucker any of those into a 1 v 1, and with any luck, you'll be able to out-fox it in a maneuvering engagement.

As far as firepower is concerned - yeah, it's lighter than most heavies at Tier 6.  However, this can easily be made up for with High Explosive rounds for the cannons and Armor-Piercing Incendiary rounds for the .50 caliber guns.  Also, by waiting until you're within 600m / 1,800ft before opening fire, you'll do more damage per hit.  The combination of these two items will quickly chew up any light fighter, and put a serious hurt on heavy fighters / ground attack aircraft.

This is a lot of great information, thanks! 

I'm having a hard time getting my head around gun range and best ammo to use as some of the information out there is contradictory. One thing I've been working on is getting much closer to target before firing. 600m seems to be a good max distance as its's inside the .50s max range and only 100m outside effective.

What I find confusing is choosing the right ammo. While everything I've read supports API for MGs, advice on cannons is mixed. Yesterday, I fell victim to a XP-50 OHKO. Afterwards, I asked what he was using. He swore by API MGs and AP cannon. I've seen API recommended. I think HE is recommended most. Then I went back and read this heavily referenced post again. It says "Less damage on short distances" for HE. So if we're setting, in ideal circumstances, a max distance of 600m, is HE a hindrance relative to another ammo type? If so, what's going to be optimal at 600m in?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users