Flight Plan to the IL-8 & IL-10

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Content_WG #1 Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Developer
  • 0 battles
Enjoy Credit discounts on select Soviet attack aircraft to reach not just one, but both the IL-8 and IL-10!

Full news text

KampfKopf #2 Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3078 battles

OBJECTIVE- use ground attack planes as fighters to kill aircraft in a promotion for ground attack aircraft.

:facepalm:

Ralph_Vargr #3 Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2440 battles
Anytime I get into a Tier 6 aircraft, the IL-10's, etc, kill me. You'll need an A-10 to face them. :sad:

BrushWolf #4 Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3886 battles

View PostKampfKopf, on 06 July 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

OBJECTIVE- use ground attack planes as fighters to kill aircraft in a promotion for ground attack aircraft.

This bothers me too. We have enough trouble getting the new players to not do stupid things and now there is a mission telling them to play out of role which more often than not for the new player is a huge mistake.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

raulv04 #5 Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:07 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 11469 battles

View PostBrushWolf, on 06 July 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

This bothers me too. We have enough trouble getting the new players to not do stupid things and now there is a mission telling them to play out of role which more often than not for the new player is a huge mistake.

I totally agree. On these lines, next mission might be using fighters to destroy ground targets and you get a prize. This is tactically incorrect. GA aircraft were never designed to dogfight. I've seen all types of GA aircraft in a furball and they're easily shot down, or worse yet, I've seen them hanging back at the base to wait for the fool(s) who are rushing the base instead of doing their work. Only when there's a target of opportunity, or when the map is wiped out, should the GA aircraft help, JUST HELP in shooting other aircraft down. These are special circumstances, of course. A GA aircraft should NEVER, EVER, be used to dogfight. That's giving up at least one point to the other team.

Chief Commanding Officer, FALO

DJChrisRock #6 Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2530 battles
While I would agree it takes special skill to go air to air in an Attack Aircraft, I wouldn't use the absolute that they should never dogfight as I just got a six kill Ace in my LBSh the other night.  My question is why no discount on the IL40? I thought the idea was to get as many people to the top tiers as possible.

"Go in close, and then when you think you are too close, go on in closer."
Major Thomas B. "Tommy" McGuire, USAAF - Second Leading U.S. Ace, WW-II

Ralph_Vargr #7 Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2440 battles

View PostDJChrisRock, on 06 July 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

I thought the idea was to get as many people to the top tiers as possible.

One of the funniest things I've seen posted. Bravo!

Falls_USMC #8 Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

Master Sergeant

• 4658 battles
Yeah, because it totally makes sense to reward using an aircraft improperly. Why the hell would they not reward destroying 10 ground targets? This is asinine. I mean, promote tech tree progression yes, but have the missions fit the aircrafts designed role. 
Gorovets medals: P-40 Warhawk, BF-110C6, Spitfire I

IPlayWithAppleTree #9 Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1921 battles
GA fighter mode activated.

"Do a barrel roll!"

Wrong. It's an aileron roll.:facepalm:

Quesnel #10 Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 10485 battles

View PostFalls_USMC, on 06 July 2014 - 11:21 PM, said:

Yeah, because it totally makes sense to reward using an aircraft improperly. Why the hell would they not reward destroying 10 ground targets? This is asinine. I mean, promote tech tree progression yes, but have the missions fit the aircrafts designed role. 

Normally I would agree with this. However, failing to adapt to the changing environment as battle unfolds, with the equipment you have at the time.................

..........can be the difference between victory or defeat. Although this is from a very long time ago now, it should be somewhat obvious I didn't go into that particular match with the sole intention of going air to air in a GA. Especially that one.

Falls_USMC #11 Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

Master Sergeant

• 4658 battles
Quenel, I absolutely agree that when the winds shift then GAs can make or break a game by wading into the aerial fray. I'm just afraid this current mission is going to have GA pilots going into battle with the objective of doing nothing but destroying enemy planes, instead of doing what the planes are designed to do: make things on the ground blow up real, real good. 
Gorovets medals: P-40 Warhawk, BF-110C6, Spitfire I

Quesnel #12 Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:59 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 10485 battles

View PostFalls_USMC, on 07 July 2014 - 12:55 AM, said:

Quenel, I absolutely agree that when the winds shift then GAs can make or break a game by wading into the aerial fray. I'm just afraid this current mission is going to have GA pilots going into battle with the objective of doing nothing but destroying enemy planes, instead of doing what the planes are designed to do: make things on the ground blow up real, real good. 

Yes, sadly this has been going on long before this Mission came along. Now, it will just justify their actions. On the flip side, if I am flying my GA's and they decide to do this, more ground targets for me (seriously, that's the way I am looking at it).

BigWaveSurfer #13 Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:00 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1300 battles

ok glad I'm not the only one thinking that was an odd mission to put up.

any chance of a rethink on this one WG?

Joe42666 #14 Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:17 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5110 battles

I think the WG staff were abducted and replaced by aliens.....

Time to put on my tinfoil hat

Fly fast, Fly smart, Fly to kill.

Silvin #15 Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:43 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3634 battles

Destroy 3 planes with GAs? Is this just a bad cut and paste job?

If not is really shows that the ones coming up with these missions have NEVER played that game.

Please fix that idiotic mission.

Edited by Silvin, 07 July 2014 - 03:44 AM.

CrashTailspin #16 Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:44 AM

Squadron Lead / Wargaming Stunt Pilot

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 3597 battles

View PostKampfKopf, on 06 July 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

This was my initial thought as well.  Rather than emphasizing the more accepted (and arguably more effective) use of Ground Attack aircraft, Wargaming has chosen to reward players to take said GA aircraft and place it into a role for which it was never meant.  This mission has the potential of skewing any potential wins that could have came from superiority to laughable losses, with IL-2s being mercilessly butchered at medium altitude.

In my opinion, this mission is indirectly training any blundering new World of Warplanes player into believing that every type of aircraft is meant to dogfight as their primary objective, and that ground targets are just there for show.  If WG wanted to reward an effective Ground Attack Aircraft pilot, they'd give bonuses for players who helped gain a win for their team via supremacy.  Instead, we get to see Joe LawnDart attempt to dogfight in a fat tub of an aircraft, then rage about how his IL-2 is crap because it can't turn well.

I see many :facepalm:s in the future.

You must not question "The Forum Laws".  Any questioning of "The Forum Laws" results in automatic removal and / or locking of any post, regardless of the level of constructiveness or thought provocation.

Zen_Reaper #17 Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 7571 battles

I doubt many players will seriously buy a new plane in a line they do not like...

...and then seriously attempt to kill 3 planes in a battle for:

x2 Crew XP multiplier

This is the only "prize" awarded for this Mission.

x2 Crew XP multiplier

I mean... I'll take that bonus in the times that I end up destroying 3 planes in a battle...

...but it is not some grand incentive for most players.

The credit discounts will get more people playing GAA, I'm sure...

...but it won't take long for most to realize how minimal the Prize is, considering the effort and skill (or luck) it takes to complete the Mission.

I don't see any glaring downside to this Mission in the practical sense.

Free kill points for Fighters to get, when John Q. Noob tries to engage them in his shiny new GAA.

A few quick trips back to the Hanger early and not racking up diddly for points in a match will discourage abuse.

On the other hand... Sounds like Open Season on a Killing Spree for the experienced GAA Pilots.

Better watch your asses, players like Autolycus, vuuduu, DJChrisRock and others...

...will be x2 training their crews this week. On your Dime... or ass.

And yeah, I'll be getting in on some of that myself.

jus' sayin'

Zen Reaper

raulv04 #18 Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:46 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 11469 battles
Actively attacking enemy aircraft with a GAA is just simply idiotic. But I have to agree to what Quesnel said... sometimes the winds change and you have to adapt to the situation, or maybe I'm in my IL-2 (or whatever Ilyushin) and I see a smoking aircraft coming right directly to me. Of course I'll raise my nose and shoot him down, no doubt about it, or if a lone fighter tries to attack a squad of two or three GAA's of course we'll all attack. What this mission is doing is to take away the tactical value a GAA has. I've won some battles in which the amount of ground targets destroyed by the GAA's actually made a difference, and we lost a memorable because some idiotic GAA pilot went actively to attack enemy planes and only got 2 and 1 ground target, being the only GAA in our team, Go figure. We lost that battle like 20 to 16, or something like that. If that stupid pilot had done his job, the result might have been other. That's the problem: actively dogfighting aircraft.

Chief Commanding Officer, FALO

BigWaveSurfer #19 Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:54 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1300 battles
like your crew need more training in that TSh-2 Zen_Reaper. already 4 perks up aren't they :tongue:

Zen_Reaper #20 Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 7571 battles

Maybe.

I haven't played the TSh-2 in so long...

...I had fun, but the population supports Tier 5 and 6... and even higher pretty good now.

So I generally play 5 and 6.

I like tier 7 and 8... but I think it's best to support the mid tiers right now.

I kinda miss playing my IL-8, that's a great aircraft.

I miss the TSh-2 as well... it taught me how to play this game.

Now though... that 4-skill crew...almost 5...

...is in my.... well... that crew is *somewhere*... right?

:izmena:

Zen Reaper

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users