Curtiss Model 81A-1 - Changes needed?

Curtiss_Model_ 81A-1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

I am grateful for having to earn this aircraft from the “Summer Wind” event. However, after flying this plane for a while I'm noticing this plane is an under-performer when compared to the XF4U-1. For one the accuracy is horrible. The second the gunnery is worthless. Even with a 3 skill set pilot with crackshot this plane is not making the mark in air combat performance. I have a few questions to ask our experienced alphas and betas:

Should this plane be dropped a tier with its current configuration?

or

Should this plane either have another pair of guns either 12.7 (total 4) or twin .30 cals like the XF4U-1?

The rest of the plane parameters I can live with. Is there any plane data that is showing if the Curtiss Model 81A-1 is at the mark that WG wants it to be?

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 04 July 2014 - 10:13 PM.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

Wesrin #2 Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 304 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

I feel the aircraft is fine as it is. It is a Tier IV P-40 that is nearly just as fast and more maneuverable. Additionally it is quite rugged with good hit points and armor plating. The downside to these is, as you put it, it's firepower. However it is far from inaccurate. Given that they are cowling mounted, I am struggling to see where the 'accuracy' part of your concern is valid. Leading your target sufficiently will see you landing solid hits. However, to bring down anything thats not a fighter requires extended on-target time; forget about Ground Attack unless thats all you have left to shoot at.

This aircraft is a harasser, a horizontal boom n' zoomer that works best against other fighters.

Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

hawkeyededic #3 Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

For starters I have not flown this plane since beta, so I will not really comment much on how to use it.

Now that said, this plane really benefits from premium ammo, and with only 2 guns it is not that expensive to use. You also MUST be in effective range before firing with the, I find .50 cal machine guns are best used at under 1000 feet, not sure how far that is in meters off the top of my head. Also with the guns mounted in the nose you can actually aim your fire more so then you can with wing mounted guns. Practice getting a solid bead before firing, and only fire in short bursts not long sustained  streams, that way you don't overheat those guns so fast, with just 2 guns overheating has a much larger effect then it does with multiple guns. This is all general information for any plane with a limited number of guns, regardless of tier.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

SkywhaleExpress #4 Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:18 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

How are you comparing a tier 4 premium with a tier 5 anything?

Also, if you can handle flying an F3F, you'll enjoy the better durability and actual BnZ capability of this plane. Honestly two nose mounted 50 cals beats two wig 50s and 2 nose 30s... Just saying.

I kill tier 5-7 aircraft in the lil tier 3 Grumman... With the 81A-1, I am slightly lighter and more maneuverable than a P-40, and so can easily compete with tier 6s... Even if my firepower is rather light.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

pyantoryng #5 Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2992 battles

View PostRocketSpammer1, on 05 July 2014 - 12:18 AM, said:

How are you comparing a tier 4 premium with a tier 5 anything?

Also, if you can handle flying an F3F, you'll enjoy the better durability and actual BnZ capability of this plane. Honestly two nose mounted 50 cals beats two wig 50s and 2 nose 30s... Just saying.

I kill tier 5-7 aircraft in the lil tier 3 Grumman... With the 81A-1, I am slightly lighter and more maneuverable than a P-40, and so can easily compete with tier 6s... Even if my firepower is rather light.

Familiarity with the F3F goes to show that x2 nose (synchronized) 50cal is actually okay...

Would rather have that over a derp gun any day, personally.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

HZero #6 Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 1009 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

I think its fine.  Its already better than many of the tier 4's performance wise, and the hit point pool is crazy good as well.  The only real weaknesses of the plane are the lack of boost and the low firepower, and buffing either of those would put it in t5 territory I think.

But I'm biased.  I love the little bugger, its become one of my favorites to fly. 

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

FlakValleyExpress #7 Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Captain

• 64 battles

I guess going after HFs and GAAs with this aircraft does make it frustrating in taking down those aircraft. I really did not have a base to go in understanding what this plane (Curtiss Model 81A-1). With your feedback I understand the plane more. Thanks all for the discussion.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

SkyWolf__WM #8 Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:33 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14489 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

This is a ridiculous airplane THAT shouldn't even be in the game.

Instead there should be a P40 B/C with 4 303's in the wings and 2 50's in the NOSE COWLINGS that are now retardedly left empty in the "Early" P40.

It's dumb, historically it's bullshi Inaccurate, it's dumb, and it's @#$%^& dumb.

And I HATE it that WG doesn't care that the P40 flies around with EMPTY GUN COWLINGS. Do people wear empty HOLSTERS?

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

Wesrin #9 Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 304 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostSkyWolf__WM, on 06 July 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

This is a ridiculous airplane THAT shouldn't even be in the game.

Instead there should be a P40 B/C with 4 303's in the wings and 2 50's in the NOSE COWLINGS that are now retardedly left empty in the "Early" P40.

It's dumb, historically it's bullshi Inaccurate, it's dumb, and it's @#$%^& dumb.

And I HATE it that WG doesn't care that the P40 flies around with EMPTY GUN COWLINGS. Do people wear empty HOLSTERS?

With armament like that, it would have to be a premium Tier VI, maybe a V. It has the reduced armament for gameplay purposes despite the fact of historical inconsistency (a WG hallmark) and performance.

Breathe, Wolf. It'll be fine.

Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users