Keeper planes -- is the La-7 in that class?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Binestar #1 Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 71 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3

As many likely know, I have every tree unlocked and purchased through tier 7 at this point, with the Yak-15, Me262 and P-51H unlocked and purchased at tier 8.  (Barring the IL-8 since I have the IL-10 and dislike GAA in general).  I've come across a few planes on my way up that I consider keepers.

The first was the Ao192, I played that extensively through the release (and rarely since) but purchsed it, gave it it's own crew and camo.  I highly doubt I'll sell it (since plane slots are cheap).

The second I decided was a keeper was the Bf 109b, a plane I really enjoy, but actually don't pull out much to play any more.  The plane is iconic, well balanced and fun to play when I do use it.

The third was the P-51A and F4U-1 at tier 6.  I love the balance of speed, altitude and I actually prefer the .50's on them.

My other keeper is actually the Yak-9 at tier 6.  The 45mm cannon is just fun to play.

So now I'm at tier 7.  The P-51D is of course going to stay in my garage, that wasn't a suprise to me giving it's current strength level, and unfortunately the Yak-9U just wasn't nearly as fun at tier 7 as the Yak-9 is at tier 6.  But I'm very slowly coming to the conclusion that the La-7 is a keeper.  I didn't enjoy the La-5 all that much at tier 6, and the grind for the modules on the La-7 was something I dreaded, but now that I've got my plane maxed out, while I find the guns overheat too quickly (an issue I know is my fault that I need to fix in my general play if I want to move forward with my skill level), I find that the plane itself does everything I want at tier 7.  It can get to 8000 feet and dogfight there, it can turn inside the Brits, German and Americans, while having the range on the cannons to get shots in as they leave, but it can also outclimb and damage the Japanese planes.  Energy retention is actually rather good.

Have I stumbled upon a sleeper at tier 7?

https://dl.dropboxus...teau.wowpreplay

Spoiler

Spoiler

My highest XP match ever (Which is nice that it was also an x3.)

hawkeyededic #2 Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Whether or not a plane is a keeper is as much a personal preference as anything, but based on the performance you got outta it, I would say yes it is a keeper for you.

I am hoping to see that battle on a video, looks like it may have been worthy. I mean one of your edited videos, not just a replay, but I think I can put that replay to good use as well, just have to find the right plane....

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

SkywhaleExpress #3 Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
I love the La5 and La-7. They do better than the IJN planes in my opinion.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

Cuesta_Rey #4 Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

The only thing I don't like about my La-7 is how quickly the guns will over heat. Fast, maneuverable, powerful guns, good health point pool. Learning to manage the gun over heating is a personal issue for me, not a particular fault of the aircraft.

Edit: I should have added; the La-160 at tier 9, perhaps makes the grind up the La ladder very much worth it. Don't know about the La-15 as I haven't reached it yet.

Edited by doublespook, 21 June 2014 - 04:52 PM.

xQuietx #5 Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
I will simply say - I love the LA line. But... I like good turn fighters so for me they are keepers.

[SF]xQuietx -- World of Warplanes Division -- xquietx@team-sf.com

SOGRick_Cranium #6 Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7 battles

Bine,

I actually like my LA-5, a lot.  It's the I16(e) of tier 6 IMHO.  I am about to get the LA-7 and really look forward to it because of the LA-5.  Totally agree about the 51's and 109b, I'll never sell mine, they will have to pry them from my cold dead hands... 

DH

Mechadius #7 Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1195 battles
Definitely a keeper. I have the I-15 thru the La-7 and I love them all. They are great all around fighters and I definitely have no plans on selling any of them. Not a big fan of the I-17 but the Russian line can be a very dominating line all the way through.

Edited by Mechadius, 21 June 2014 - 07:11 PM.

Vode an

trottenhelm #8 Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
After reaching the 3 cannons on the La-5, I loved it, still have it. Right from the start the La-7 is wonderful even if it isn't fully researched. Sure it can be outclassed but it turns and climbs so well. The La-7 can only get better I believe. The Spitfires and La's have been the most enjoyable for me. Pilot style determines which you would keep and it sounds like the "7" is a keeper.

Carl_the_Cuttlefish #9 Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20 battles

View PostxQuietx, on 21 June 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

I will simply say - I love the LA line. But... I like good turn fighters so for me they are keepers.

Ditto.

Edited by S01836775, 22 June 2014 - 02:49 PM.

"It's about to get real inky in here!!!"

- Carl the Cuttlefish, the artist formerly known as S01836775, now in an all new user friendly format.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining in my posts 

And why do we balance???

Toggle #10 Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 4699 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
At my hangar, she's a keeper! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users