KI-88 – The nightmare for IL’s and Heavy Fighters

KI-88

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

Block Quote

Designed for the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force as a heavily armed interceptor. Development was discontinued during the prototype stage.

I did not purchase this aircraft, Instead I had earned it from the WG’s WoWP Summer Wind event.

http://worldofwarplanes.com/en/news/18/summer-wind/

Now there may be some pilots out there that say this aircraft is not all up to what it should be, however when played correctly as an interceptor, this plane rocks.  When the close range of the 37mm HE sweetness opens up on the enemy, a smile will naturally break on your face.

The plane should not be played as a scout, GAA, or a lead fighter. It is an interceptor or at the edge of the furball picking off the wounded. It is a support aircraft for fighters and Heavy fighters when they maneuver the enemy aircraft down to your gun range.  You are the one that the hounds are chasing the game to.

Now the downside of the aircraft is when you are matched with tier 8 level of aircraft or keyed on by the enemy team by their massive overload of fighters.  There is nothing you can do in those cases. And yes there are aircraft out there that will have better turn capability for a turn war.  In those cases you can only get some much bite from the plane versus the enemy.

However, I would like to point out this aircraft is no miracle worker. It is an aircraft that is designed for teamwork through and through.  It will make IL’s into paper and heavy fighters regret ever coming down to low altitude. This is an aircraft I am keeping forever. I would recommend it to others to fly and have in their hanger. And all I can say let us be thankful this aircraft never made it into production in WWII.

My KI-88 Stats:

Aircraft Battles Victories Max. Aircraft KO Max. GTs KO
 VI Kawasaki Ki-88  43 47% 5 2

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 20 June 2014 - 01:40 PM.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

danbuter #2 Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
That plane seems awesome to me. I hate having to face it. It's killed me several times. From my perception, it's the best of the new Premium Tier 6s.

Zapperguy #3 Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

This planes does indeed seem to be a nightmare, when other people fly it. I can't do squat in mine & I like most of the other IJN planes. I appreciate your suggestions for using it effectively, flak. I'll be sure to focus on doing as you recommend the next time I have mine out. I will admit that the guns are evil on this plane. I just can't seem to get mine pointed at other planes before I die.

:honoring:

Wolfrum #4 Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 20 June 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

I did not purchase this aircraft, Instead I had earned it from the WG’s WoWP Summer Wind event.

http://worldofwarplanes.com/en/news/18/summer-wind/

Now there may be some pilots out there that say this aircraft is not all up to what it should be, however when played correctly as an interceptor, this plane rocks.  When the close range of the 37mm HE sweetness opens up on the enemy, a smile will naturally break on your face.

The plane should not be played as a scout, GAA, or a lead fighter. It is an interceptor or at the edge of the furball picking off the wounded. It is a support aircraft for fighters and Heavy fighters when they maneuver the enemy aircraft down to your gun range.  You are the one that the hounds are chasing the game to.

Now the downside of the aircraft is when you are matched with tier 8 level of aircraft or keyed on by the enemy team by their massive overload of fighters.  There is nothing you can do in those cases. And yes there are aircraft out there that will have better turn capability for a turn war.  In those cases you can only get some much bite from the plane versus the enemy.

However, I would like to point out this aircraft is no miracle worker. It is an aircraft that is designed for teamwork through and through.  It will make IL’s into paper and heavy fighters regret ever coming down to low altitude. This is an aircraft I am keeping forever. I would recommend it to others to fly and have in their hanger. And all I can say let us be thankful this aircraft never made it into production in WWII.

My KI-88 Stats:

Aircraft Battles Victories Max. Aircraft KO Max. GTs KO
 VI Kawasaki Ki-88  43 47% 5 2

You've got a pretty good understanding of this Aircraft Flak.

One thing I want to add about the Ki-88 that you omitted , is this plane demands good gun control. You have to be very careful on when you actually start to open up on the aircraft you intend to shoot down as the guns all overheat very quickly. But, when you do close that range, it will shred the enemy plane in seconds.

Preserving boost is also key, I like to do a 'natural climb' at the start of the match and save my boost for the nose up belly shots on aircraft as that gives the best angle and most surface area of a plane to hit, as well where ever the 'pip' is for your lead indicator, try and aim offset beside it. You have a better chance of your big shells causing a critical hit to the enemies wing. It takes some practice but is very rewarding.

-Wolf

A veteran is someone who at some point wrote a cheque to their country that was 'up to and including my life'

redtalon92 #5 Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
The Ki-88 is my favorite Japanese plane, because it can actually roll, unlike the A6M's, which makes me rage. I play it like the Fw 190, be stealthy by being in the blob and picking off unsuspecting/distracted enemies. Almost as good as the 190 with the guns (range, velocity loss vs. module damage w/37mm), but worse off in every other category. It is a really difficult plane to learn, as well as team and advantage dependent. I have only played a handful of games in it and I am looking forward to really learning the plane. Something about the engine being behind the pilot and big guns I really like for some reason...

Also tagged with KI-88

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users