Saitek - X55 Rhino ~ Pro Flight HOTAS - Review

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

Breezy1 #1 Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:07 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 5 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_

I've recently purchased two of these Saitek - Rhino X55s Pro Flight HOTAS for my hubby and I as early releases. These things are awesome! 

http://saitek.com/uk/prod/x55.html

Spoiler

For any flight sim, they are TOP SHELF for the $250.00 you will spend on each set. The capability of changing springs easily is fantastic on the stick! The options available within the newly re-skinned H.U.D. software around key bindings and Axis fine tuning are really quite excellent. Using with WoWP really requires very little in-game Axis curve jockeying, as all can be done within the H.U.D. It does take many hours to get the stick X & Y Axis flying touch lightened (dampened down) enough for this client. WoWP has a really bad set of joystick Axis support algorithms, plain and simple. Real flights sims are truly what the X55 is designed for; not so much for arcadish hybrids such as WoWP. The thing is, the X55 can be readily dampened down enough to fly quite well in this client, but still suffers a bit when it comes to getting that fine feathered aiming (especially on T&B planes) required to rival mouse aim here. 

At the end of the day, the X55 is undoubtedly excellent flying equipment. It is well worth the money, especially if you are interested in trying modern combat simulations like D.C.S. To invest in a set solely for WoWP use might not be the most prudent investment, as it must basically be dumbed down to the level of WG software for all around fly-ability within this client. Don't get me wrong; I can fly like a drunken monkey with the X55 in WoWP. The issue comes in getting the same, or better, damage/kill numbers I can get with a mouse. I suppose with around 1000 hours of stick time, I could rival my mouse numbers. To be completely honest, I seem to struggle more with the locked in frontal view in stick mode than anything else, as it really suppresses my peripheral vision. The slewing hat views are a bit wonky in WoWP and do not allow any targeting data within them as you slew around (not helpful at all). It is just somewhat difficult to get comfortable with and fly confidently within WoWP. 

Hope this sheds some light on these new to market HOTAS, as they might relate to WoWP.

~ Breezy ~ 

Edited by Breezy1, 20 June 2014 - 05:33 AM.

DrSinister #2 Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 121 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
I am buying this later this Fall for my Star Citizen setup and will use it for WoWp.  I already have my Rudder Pedals I bought earlier this year.  Now to convince the wife in letting me build a "sim pit."  LOL

Edited by DrSinister, 20 June 2014 - 04:42 PM.

Breezy1 #3 Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 5 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
We really like them. I fly DCS sometimes and they are perfect for that. I am sure that they will rock on Star Citizen too...:)

Zapperguy #4 Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Good review, Breezy. Now you just need to use my 1st person-only mod for full immersion.

:honoring:

Breezy1 #5 Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 5 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_

View PostZapperguy, on 21 June 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

Good review, Breezy. Now you just need to use my 1st person-only mod for full immersion.

Does it really help? I use Hooterez right now, as I feel I really need the wide angle view to see as much as is possible facing front. The pictures I see of yours seem to reduce that peripheral vision quite a bit... 

Zapperguy #6 Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

It has a 110 degree FOV. The big difference is that you don't have the very arcadey, unrealistic 3rd person omniscient view that the game promotes. It requires acute situational awareness as it can make colliding with an ally very easy since you will likely hear them before you see them. I like that added challenge and the fact that my forward vision is not blocked by a plane model. Since you already use Hootorez' cam mod, it is only a matter of swapping out a single file, aircraft_camera_presets.xml, to try a diff cam mod. You can even leave his in the same folder if you rename it. If you don't like mine, delete it & just rename his back to the original - easy peasy.

Edited by Zapperguy, 21 June 2014 - 08:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users