Advanced Keyboard & Mouse Settings. Can anyone explain?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

x2_Weekends #1 Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

Hello,

Veteran WoT player coming in to check out WoWP for the past month.  I've got just over 100 battles under my belt and am sort of enjoying WoWP but I feel like I'm struggling at times.

So far I'm doing really well with the Japanese planes.  Their mobility for TnB I can do easily.  I'm doing ok with heavy fighters.  I get a few ground targets and a few planes each battle with those.  I only have one ground attack aircraft and do ok with that -still figuring it out though.  But I am struggling mightily at the BnZ planes, especially the German ones. 

I use keyboard and mouse to play and was tinkering around with the game settings when I came across the Advanced Keyboard and Mouse settings.  There are several presets in there but I'm not sure I'm understanding how they would affect my gameplay or whether I should bother choosing one.

There are: Standard, Vector, Free, and Hybrid. 

Has anyone tried them? Is one better for new players than the others? Can anyone break those down and explain their pros and cons? Do they offer any advantages or do they simply put information overload on the player?

Lastly, should I have the Automatic Flaps and the Limit Bank Angles checked?

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice and I'll see you in the sky!

SOGRick_Cranium #2 Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7 battles

Anthronole,

There are quite a few threads on Settings for us KB/Mouse users and some really good videos that explain what each setting does.  I would recommend checking out this video as it helped me refine my settings:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me6G7owHMlU

Then go into a training room and fly a bit, tinker with the settings, fly a bit... rinse and repeat until you get comfortable with the new controls... 

Also on the subject of BnZ, there is tons of info on the forum... read, read, read.... Here's where I would start:  All The Important Threads - Release Version! - http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/25367-all-the-important-threads-release-version/

Good Luck and Good Hunting!

DH

CrashTailspin #3 Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

Squadron Lead / Wargaming Stunt Pilot

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 518 battles

Welcome to World of Warplanes, Anthronole!  I think you'll find this as a new and different type of combat which you'll definitely enjoy.

I'll try my best to break down the controls that I use, so you can get a better idea of how each mouse type works.  BE ADVISED:  I haven't used all of them, so I cannot speak to all of the different mouse movement styles.  However, this info should shed some light on the various mouse settings.

Different Mouse Control Types

Mouse Control Checkboxes

Here's what I use for my personal setup - I use a customized version of Standard.  The items I tweaked are:  (yes, I know I could go into the .xml files to see just how much I tweaked these, but I'm not that smart)

Yaw / Pitch - Effective Zone Size:  Just slightly below 100%

Roll - Level off Rate:  Just slightly below 100%

Roll - Level off Zone Size:  about 33%

Roll Acceleration:  About 90%

Split S Height: About 40-45%

Yes to Automatic Flaps

I also tweaked my key commands as well.  This setup helps me maneuver faster than the Standard mouse setup allows:

Roll Left / Right:  A / D

Pitch Up / Down:  S / W

Engine Boost:  Left Shift

Apply Air Brake:  Left Ctrl

Switch to Strafing Mode:  Z

Fire with Weapons Group 1 / 2 / 3:  LMB / then side mouse buttons, as I have two per side.  This allows me to use just cannons for targets outside of machine gun range (no overheat)

So there you go.  Hopefully this helps!

You must not question "The Forum Laws".  Any questioning of "The Forum Laws" results in automatic removal and / or locking of any post, regardless of the level of constructiveness or thought provocation.

An_Average_Jho #4 Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD

I've been using a custom setup of Vector/Hybrid, so maybe I can help explain what the strengths and weaknesses of the scheme is.

Reiterating what CrashTailspin already mentioned, the vector/hybrid is kind of like setting a course for a ship. You tell the plane which direction to go (where the mouse cursor is from the nose) and with what 'intensity' (how far away the cursor is from the nose), and the plane will keep going that course. The Vector scheme will not have the cursor recenter, but the Hybrid scheme will have the cursor recenter & have the plane level off (albeit, very slowly compared to the Standard/Free schemes).

Starting with the only downside I can think of for the Vector/Hybrid schemes compared to the Standard/Free schemes: it's harder to track a target. With the schemes that have you control the camera, you can always keep an eye on your prey without much extra work. With the Vector/Hybrid schemes (as well as players using joysticks), you have to make use of the "snap to target" key as well as other camera commands. This can probably screw you over if you have trouble managing your key bindings.

A thing I have to mention, before I forget, is that the Vector/Hybrid schemes are quite dumb. What I mean is that the Standard/Free control schemes have an AI that help with maneuvers, while the Vector/Hybrid do not. Standard/Free mouse control has a way of min-maxing, since the AI will always try to take the shortest or most efficient route to where your cursor is pointing. The Vector/Hybrid control schemes do exactly what you tell them to do, and that can be a good thing or a bad thing. It somewhat allows you more freedom, but it also gives you more opportunities to screw up.

Otherwise, the Vector/Hybrid schemes are really good for movement. The way you control the aircraft allows you to be extremely precise in all kind of maneuvers. Your mouse controls both yaw, pitch and roll so that you are always using all that your aircraft has to offer. You could forgo the use of A/D key for roll, but I would not advise it. Smaller movements and straight-line flying takes a bit to get used to, because keeping the cursor near the nose of the aircraft can make most minute maneuvers twitchy. I use a very low sensitivity to counteract that.

Everything tastes better if it tries to eat you before you eat it

I named my airplane Iosef because it kept on Stalin

"Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat"

x2_Weekends #5 Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

Thank you guys VERY much!  Awesomely informative response and very friendly as well.

+1's to all!

losttwo #6 Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 8258 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I am a left handed mouse user 90% of the time the other is with joystick.

I have the standard mouse configuration with key bindings on the number pad area of the keyboard.

Flaps, boost, brake roll are all bound to keys for my control.

I also have the sliders adjusted to my liking.

The advanced setting are something you will have to experiment with.

You will eventually find that sweet spot that improves your game 100%

If you want to know more about my personal settings then just send me a message and I will share them with you.

Nihtwaco #7 Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:41 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 695 battles
  • [DSA] DSA

Anthronole This starts from standard mouse and is saved as Personal.

Here is my Custom mouse setup going from left to right down each column. Set up then adjust mouse sensitivity to where you are

not overshooting target on small movements.

Lock camera to Horizon  Yes

Camera Inertia:  Far Left

Camera Alignment zone:  Far Right

Camera Roll Rate:  Far Right

Camera Alignment Time:  Far Left

Yaw/Pitch 1/6 to 1/7 across to right from left end.

Roll Controls

Level Off Rate:  Far Right  // Changed to Far Left for no Auto Roll

Level Off Zone:  Just Off Left End // Changed to Far Left for no Auto Roll

~~These two settings above on Left only were in effect when inverted. To right of // no Auto Roll.

Roll Acceleration:  Far Right

Split S Height:  Far Right

Auto Flaps On: Yes

Limit Bank Angles at Low Altitude: Yes This kicks in below 150 Meters

Other Controls Modified

Roll:  on A & D Keys A to Roll Left D to Roll Right

Flaps:  R Toggle for down or up

Rudder: on Q left E right

Level Off:  L

Rear View:  F

Rockets:  on Mouse button 4

Bombs:  on Space Bar

Throttle up:  ,  Throttle Down: .    Those are < and >   They can be reached with left thumb. Throttle is in 20% shifts down

from normal 100% without boost.

Lock Target Center Screen: B

Engaging Target: F3 or T

Graph

Five points from left to Right 5 Square spacing from left edge to right edge.

Height from Bottom in Squares on Grid

9,     5,     3,     1.3,     1/2

Retuned to be more responsive

5,     3,     1.75,   .75,     0

This is a very fast and twitchy setup your left hand handles staying level and Initiating banks into turns, Boost and Speed

Brake, Full Flaps when needed. Auto Flap can be turned off if you Prefer.

No split S unless You roll over and move mouse as to climb. Plane will hang most of time at any angle you end up at until your

left hand levels you off.

I also map consumables to 4 5 6 to match my setup in World of Tanks. Fire Ext. on 4, Restart Bottle on 5 and Med Kit on 6.

This setup has been refined since start of Open Beta through all the shifts made to Game engine control setups. It takes

practice to get good with this, it does have the answer to most peoples problems but during violent vertical maneuvers it can

tumble the camera. Just as in real combat the Artificial Horizon and Gyro Gun sights could be tumbled. Only skill and altitude

can then prevent you from becoming a Lawn Dart.

I hope this helps a few folks figure out a setup they can control

If the plane is rolling when you push the nose down the Auto Split S function is active or you are moving the nose off to one

side a little which starts the roll. With the Setup I posted above I can do loops or push the nose straight down to point at

ground roll 180 and pull out in opposite direction from initial facing. All rolls are either from mouse movement while

maneuvering or from the A & D Keys if I am running straight ahead.

HairlesMonkyBoy #8 Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

Did you see my thread?  http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?act=findpost&pid=350701

I'd like to think I did a decent job explaining all the settings, including what I feel are the pros and cons to vector vs standard.

Hope this helps.

Verishady #9 Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:42 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

View PostNihtwaco, on 29 June 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

Anthronole This starts from standard mouse and is saved as Personal.

Here is my Custom mouse setup going from left to right down each column. Set up then adjust mouse sensitivity to where you are

not overshooting target on small movements.

Lock camera to Horizon  Yes

Camera Inertia:  Far Left

Camera Alignment zone:  Far Right

Camera Roll Rate:  Far Right

Camera Alignment Time:  Far Left

Yaw/Pitch 1/6 to 1/7 across to right from left end.

Roll Controls

Level Off Rate:  Far Right  // Changed to Far Left for no Auto Roll

Level Off Zone:  Just Off Left End // Changed to Far Left for no Auto Roll

~~These two settings above on Left only were in effect when inverted. To right of // no Auto Roll.

Roll Acceleration:  Far Right

Split S Height:  Far Right

Auto Flaps On: Yes

Limit Bank Angles at Low Altitude: Yes This kicks in below 150 Meters

Other Controls Modified

Roll:  on A & D Keys A to Roll Left D to Roll Right

Flaps:  R Toggle for down or up

Rudder: on Q left E right

Level Off:  L

Rear View:  F

Rockets:  on Mouse button 4

Bombs:  on Space Bar

Throttle up:  ,  Throttle Down: .    Those are < and >   They can be reached with left thumb. Throttle is in 20% shifts down

from normal 100% without boost.

Lock Target Center Screen: B

Engaging Target: F3 or T

Graph

Five points from left to Right 5 Square spacing from left edge to right edge.

Height from Bottom in Squares on Grid

9,     5,     3,     1.3,     1/2

Retuned to be more responsive

5,     3,     1.75,   .75,     0

This is a very fast and twitchy setup your left hand handles staying level and Initiating banks into turns, Boost and Speed

Brake, Full Flaps when needed. Auto Flap can be turned off if you Prefer.

No split S unless You roll over and move mouse as to climb. Plane will hang most of time at any angle you end up at until your

left hand levels you off.

I also map consumables to 4 5 6 to match my setup in World of Tanks. Fire Ext. on 4, Restart Bottle on 5 and Med Kit on 6.

This setup has been refined since start of Open Beta through all the shifts made to Game engine control setups. It takes

practice to get good with this, it does have the answer to most peoples problems but during violent vertical maneuvers it can

tumble the camera. Just as in real combat the Artificial Horizon and Gyro Gun sights could be tumbled. Only skill and altitude

can then prevent you from becoming a Lawn Dart.

I hope this helps a few folks figure out a setup they can control

If the plane is rolling when you push the nose down the Auto Split S function is active or you are moving the nose off to one

side a little which starts the roll. With the Setup I posted above I can do loops or push the nose straight down to point at

ground roll 180 and pull out in opposite direction from initial facing. All rolls are either from mouse movement while

maneuvering or from the A & D Keys if I am running straight ahead.

Maybe map fire ext. to the space bar...just a thought.

SCoURgE76 #10 Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:06 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 145 battles
  • [S_S_G] S_S_G
so is there any way to get rid of the cursor... .. . using mouse settings... .. .went and looked didn't see anything... .. .?

MrPsychic #11 Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:21 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 186 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS
I use a potent mix of standard flying and swearing. It gets me by.

An_Average_Jho #12 Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD

View PostSCoURgE76, on 26 August 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

so is there any way to get rid of the cursor... .. . using mouse settings... .. .went and looked didn't see anything... .. .?

By cursor, do you mean the 'pointer' when using the standard mouse controls and/or the 'carrot' when using the vector/hybrid controls?

The only way not to have these things is to buy a joystick or a gamepad. There is no way to control your plane like you would in, say, Battlefield.

Everything tastes better if it tries to eat you before you eat it

I named my airplane Iosef because it kept on Stalin

"Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users