P-38F Lightning

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

pippip #1 Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 128 battles
Hey guys, I just got the p38f, and am really liking it.  Just today I upgraded the guns to the 2nd tier (not the 37mm but the one before that, don't remember what it is).  I was wondering if you guys had any tips for this plane, or what tactics you use with it.  I know its more of a boom and zoom fighter, and I'm getting used to that  When I first started with it I tried turn fighting too much and died a lot.  And as far as upgrades go, what should I go for next: airframe, engine, or 37mm guns?

losttwo #2 Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:24 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 10126 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Great plane, for me I use it as fly by shooter, kind of like a drive by shooter.

Find an air target that lines up with a ground target. swoop in shooting the fighter, if you do not kill it then shoot the ground target. swoop past at a 30 or 45 degree nose up then turn and go for an air target again. Rinse and repeat. I also carry rockets 50 % of the time.

Never take this plane vertical to escape an enemy. the best thing to do is a barrel rolling evasion in a slight downward angle. the speed will save you.

When you get far enough away ( around 4000 ft ) then turn and re- engage the target.

This thing handles completely different when the rocket pods are not equipped so try it in both configurations.

Best of luck

oldkye #3 Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

The P-38 is the ultimate heavy hunter in exchange for lower firepower you fly higher, faster, and turn better then just about anything else the trick is avoiding the head on with other heavies(you can use the lovely 12 rockets to make up for that but general rule avoid the head on.)

Once you get the 37mm the plane is a completely different beast the gun is very derpy only being effective within 600 meters(400 meters for max damage) however like all 30mm+ guns it can and will one shot planes by breaking off wings and tail on top of your normal heavy and GA hunting you can then dive at light aircraft wait until you are withing 500 meters or so and often kill them in a single hit at that point as long as you play smart nothing can beat you 1v1 your either faster or turn better.

Edited by oldkye, 13 June 2014 - 09:35 AM.

Shepbur #4 Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

Get the top engine ASAP, you can ignore the big cannons for a while... but grab the engine's and airframe... then buy her some aircraft polish, and 120gasoline... then troll people at 3000m by flying past them at 600km/h in a shallow dive :P

The other way to fly the 38's is to load 6 rockets onto them (yes, i mean 6, not 12!) and go into short head-to-heads against other heavy fighters, firing 2 rockets at them at ~600m range then pulling away :) They don't know what hit them :D Although personally, i prefer the BnZ method with the 38's... they're built to be crazy fast... so fly them crazy fast :D

It doesn't take skill to fly, it takes skill to not make mistakes.

Lego1157 #5 Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
I loved the P38 F it was probably my favorite fighter in the line. I would go for guns first. Its VERY fast even stock so the engines and air frame can wait. Trust me it gets a lot better when you are firing that big 37mm.:playing:
Lego1157 salutes you! u[-_-]

CrashTailspin #6 Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

Squadron Lead / Wargaming Stunt Pilot

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 689 battles

This is what a fully upgraded P-38F can do in a Tier 3-5 match:

You must not question "The Forum Laws".  Any questioning of "The Forum Laws" results in automatic removal and / or locking of any post, regardless of the level of constructiveness or thought provocation.

HZero #7 Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 1009 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostCrashTailspin, on 13 June 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

This is what a fully upgraded P-38F can do in a Tier 3-5 match:

The loop recovery was more impressive than the kills, especially since you had Dreamer sitting off your right shoulder for a good chunk of the match (-;  Great game though!

Edited by HZero, 13 June 2014 - 04:31 PM.

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

pippip #8 Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 128 battles
Thanks guys.  This really helped.  That video's sweet as well.  Can't wait for the 37mm guns.

Pogo68 #9 Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Got the P-38F a few days ago.

Initial observations.

Someone switched the P-38's climb speed performance with that of the Me-410.

The in game P-38F can't seem to out climb either 110, 210 and 410.

In real life those German heavy fighters could only dream about attaining the P-38's climb rate.

The 410's climb rate to 6km was 9.3 m/sec, and the 210's was 8m/sec, in comparison, the P-38F had a scorching 17.2m/sec.

There is no mach tuck problems, something that was a major problem in the real plane.

So flying the P-38 in this game requires one to forget almost everything that one knows about the real P-38 and fly it like a fast diving brick.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

oldkye #10 Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostPogo68, on 16 June 2014 - 04:16 AM, said:

Got the P-38F a few days ago.

Initial observations.

Someone switched the P-38's climb speed performance with that of the Me-410.

The in game P-38F can't seem to out climb either 110, 210 and 410.

In real life those German heavy fighters could only dream about attaining the P-38's climb rate.

The 410's climb rate to 6km was 9.3 m/sec, and the 210's was 8m/sec, in comparison, the P-38F had a scorching 17.2m/sec.

There is no mach tuck problems, something that was a major problem in the real plane.

So flying the P-38 in this game requires one to forget almost everything that one knows about the real P-38 and fly it like a fast diving brick.

To be frank I have no idea what you are complaining about.

Both beat the 210 in climbing and the 410 is only .7 better then the P-38J which beats it in everything else but firepower, optimal altitude, speed, energy retention, turn rate, dive speed, ect.......

So even with that .7 better climb it will still fall out of the air first and it can neither out speed or out turn the P-38 in fact one would think the P-38 was put in the game just to hunt Me 410's down which it does with flying colors.

Did you load it with bombs and rockets and forget the engine? lol.

Pogo68 #11 Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View Postoldkye, on 16 June 2014 - 04:24 AM, said:

To be frank I have no idea what you are complaining about.

So even with that .7 better climb it will still fall out of the air first and it can neither out speed or out turn the P-38 in fact one would think the P-38 was put in the game just to hunt Me 410's down which it does with flying colors.

Did you load it with bombs and rockets and forget the engine? lol.

Flying clean, guns only.

Watched as a Me-410 turn inside me and struggled to gain distance in a shallow climb at full boost

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

oldkye #12 Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostPogo68, on 16 June 2014 - 04:30 AM, said:

Flying clean, guns only.

Watched as a Me-410 turn inside me and struggled to gain distance in a shallow climb at full boost

Were you 10 feet off the ground? lol it has a very big loss in performance and really low altitudes, and was your plane damaged or you pilot not 100%? tail, wings, fuselage, hurt pilot all these things slow turn rate in my last game the IL-10 vastly out turns the IL-8 and day of the week but with a hurt pilot and a damaged tail I was being out turned.

And are you using flaps? 

Edited by oldkye, 16 June 2014 - 03:33 AM.

SkyWolf__WM #13 Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:10 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14474 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
All of the P38's are stupid and the fact that you have to go to "fantasy" cannons to compete annoys the crap out of me.
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

Shepbur #14 Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

• 0 battles

View PostSkyWolf__WM, on 16 June 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

All of the P38's are stupid and the fact that you have to go to "fantasy" cannons to compete annoys the crap out of me.

You mean i can't possible get say... 61%WR, with 48% Survival, 3.7KDR, 600DpB, and 473xppB... without using the 23 and 37mm cannons? O.O oh dear... i think i broke the game...

CrashTailspin #15 Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

Squadron Lead / Wargaming Stunt Pilot

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 689 battles

View PostSkyWolf__WM, on 15 June 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

I would suggest you do a bit more research before calling out "fantasy" cannons on the P-38.

During the initial design phase (before the aircraft even had a name), the initial armament configuration was:

"unusually heavy for the period and comprised four 23 millimeter cannon and four .50 caliber machine guns mounted in the nose." 1  

Once the aircraft had reached experimental production models (YP-38) the armament had changed again:

The YP-38 was similar to the X-model, but there were numerous changed made in the design.  A pair of radiators were carried in each boom, rather than the single one in the XP-38.  The rotation of the props was changed and armament was reduced to a single 37 millimeter cannon, two .30 caliber machine guns and two .50 caliber guns. 2

The aircraft had limited armor protection for the pilot, and its armament consisted of four 0.50-in. machine guns and one M9 37mm cannon (the YP-38 had been armed with two 0.50-in. and two 0.30-in. machine guns and a 37mm Oldsmobile M9 cannon). 3

However, this armament complement would not last.  The P-38D (some say P-38E) saw a change in armament AGAIN:

Aside from aerodynamic refinements and self-sealing fuel tanks, the P-38D differed little from the service test models.  Armament had, however, been changed again - this time to four .50 caliber machine guns as companion pieces to the 37 millimeter cannon. 4

The P-38E was a major step forward in the development of me Lightning.  More than 2,000 modifications were made to the airframe between the D and E versions. Many were minor, but one of the major changes was in armament, where a Hispano M1 20rnm cannon replaced the 37mm gun. This gave the Lightning a faster rate of fire, carried more ammunition (150 rounds) and was considered more effective in combat than the heavier 37mm gun. 5

Then, FINALLY, the P-38F saw the armament change to what we typically consider the Lightning's standard armament:

In August 1940, still a month before the first flight of the YP-38, the Air Corps placed an order with Lockheed for 210 of this variant and a further order for 75 P-38Fs.  The 37mm cannon of the earlier models gave way to the more reliable 20mm cannon. 6

As you can see, different publications list the changes in armament as occurring on different P-38 models.  This is because there were so many modifications on the P-38 happening at the same time before the aircraft were even leaving the production line that model and block types were often confused.  However, none of the armament on ANY P-38 model in-game is fantasy - they all occurred at some point on the Lightning. 

Honestly, I thought they could have started the P-38F with the twin .30 cal, twin .50 cal, & 37mm armament, then work up to quad .50cal AN/M2 - 20mm armament as an upgrade.  Oh well.  I like my P-38F just the way it is (fully upgraded, 120 octane, 37mm HE ammunition, 12.7mm API ammunition).  Works just fine.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

REFERENCES

You must not question "The Forum Laws".  Any questioning of "The Forum Laws" results in automatic removal and / or locking of any post, regardless of the level of constructiveness or thought provocation.

SkyWolf__WM #16 Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:19 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14474 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

I've done more research than most people you know.

Not they way they were equipped for combat.

Standard Armament was 4 x 50's and 1 x 20mm.

oldkye #17 Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostSkyWolf__WM, on 17 June 2014 - 03:19 AM, said:

I've done more research than most people you know.

Not they way they were equipped for combat.

Standard Armament was 4 x 50's and 1 x 20mm.

A very fair point but if "not used in combat" was enough to keep things out of this game we would lose half our planes lol many things we fly were nothing more then blueprints and 90% of tier 9 and 10 planes would be gone lol.

Edited by oldkye, 17 June 2014 - 05:18 AM.

SkyWolf__WM #18 Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:30 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14474 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
Regardless.... a 20mm cannon in this game is a pea shooter. And with no convergence in the game it negates one of the 38's strengths.

Shepbur #19 Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

• 0 battles

View PostSkyWolf__WM, on 17 June 2014 - 05:30 AM, said:

Regardless.... a 20mm cannon in this game is a pea shooter. And with no convergence in the game it negates one of the 38's strengths.

The 20mm is fine... and does plenty of damage... I've found that the upgrades just make it a little more OP on the BnZ side...

HZero #20 Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 1009 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
I think I actually prefer the 20mm.  While the damage is only half that of the 37, the rate of fire is so much greater (4x more!).  I think if the 37 actually had a negative impact on the planes flight characteristics, people would just stick with the 20.  Think about the Buffalo - if those 20mm wing guns didn't negatively impact its performance, everyone would go with them without even thinking about it.

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users