Jump to content


Got My Spitfire 1!


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Ralph_Vargr #1 Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 290 battles
  • 314
  • Member since:
    05-26-2014
Got the 4 0.303's, and the 2 20 mm cannons.

Toggle #2 Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Alpha tester
  • 4699 battles
  • 2,434
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    02-14-2012
I actually prefer the 8 303's on the Spit I instead.  Especially when the pilot is not fully qualified.

Ralph_Vargr #3 Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:10 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 290 battles
  • 314
  • Member since:
    05-26-2014
I feel a tremor in the Force...my pilot is about 92%. 400 gold, or build him up?

Toggle #4 Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Alpha tester
  • 4699 battles
  • 2,434
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    02-14-2012
I normally use the creds to get them to 75% then work them from there.  You can have a fully experienced pilot in no time at all.  You will want to use an experienced pilot in the higher tiers, VI and up.  So be ready for the retraining fees to move some of your skilled pilots to the new airplanes.  

oldkye #5 Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:39 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 1,477
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

I go back and forth between the 20mm's the 8 MG's are better for dog fighting but the 20mm's if used right add some ability to reach out and touch people making taking down fleeing fast aircraft much much easier.

If I could pick by tier the MG's seem best in tier and the 20mm's when your at the bottom.



Ralph_Vargr #6 Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 290 battles
  • 314
  • Member since:
    05-26-2014

View PostToggle, on 09 June 2014 - 02:31 AM, said:

I normally use the creds to get them to 75% then work them from there.  You can have a fully experienced pilot in no time at all.  You will want to use an experienced pilot in the higher tiers, VI and up.  So be ready for the retraining fees to move some of your skilled pilots to the new airplanes.  

Been doing that. The 40000 XP is a 100 gold investment for the upped experience, vs 400 gold for 100%. I just have been spreading out my gameplay time between different aircraft, and pilots, so I have not concentrated all my experience in one crew. I've been getting 80-90% experienced crews by doing so. I don't want to get fixed on one airplane or style, or tier. Keeps the game from getting stale.

 

Also, ah duun can't be 'cused of being no seal-clubber, by cre-ating ONE uber-pilot. :teethhappy:



Ralph_Vargr #7 Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 290 battles
  • 314
  • Member since:
    05-26-2014

View Postoldkye, on 09 June 2014 - 02:39 AM, said:

I go back and forth between the 20mm's the 8 MG's are better for dog fighting but the 20mm's if used right add some ability to reach out and touch people making taking down fleeing fast aircraft much much easier.

If I could pick by tier the MG's seem best in tier and the 20mm's when your at the bottom.

I need the 20's for range, and hitting power. Same problem the RAF had in RL.



Shepbur #8 Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 576
  • Member since:
    06-08-2014

View PostRalph_Vargr, on 09 June 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

I need the 20's for range, and hitting power. Same problem the RAF had in RL.

 

Honestly, take the cannons off... and don't you dare even think about them with the Spit V either... They make it slow and unresponsive. However, when you get up to the Spitfire IX, you're going to want to get the upgraded cannons asap.

 

Although to play a fair argument... for the V at least, i did this research back in 1.1.0 i think...

http://forum.worldof...340#entry293340

I honestly have to say, as the person with the most experience in spitfires... That the 8 MG's are worth it.(and use incendiary ammo btw)


Edited by Shepbur, 09 June 2014 - 12:15 PM.

It doesn't take skill to fly, it takes skill to not make mistakes.


Aurabird #9 Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 3 battles
  • 1,116
  • Member since:
    07-23-2012

View PostShepbur, on 09 June 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

 

Honestly, take the cannons off... and don't you dare even think about them with the Spit V either... They make it slow and unresponsive. However, when you get up to the Spitfire IX, you're going to want to get the upgraded cannons asap.

 

Although to play a fair argument... for the V at least, i did this research back in 1.1.0 i think...

http://forum.worldof...340#entry293340

I honestly have to say, as the person with the most experience in spitfires... That the 8 MG's are worth it.(and use incendiary ammo btw)

 
I'd beg to differ about the 20mms, I fly with them always and have great success with them!

I take short bursts with them if I'm sniping (I don't start firing the moment they get in range, I'm conscious of the max 600m range of the smaller guns) and let loose when I get close. I fly it like a shotgun and the 20mms help taking out modules. I've even had lucky long range kills by taking peoples wings/tails off!

As for making it too sluggish, the only 'problem' I come across when flying with cannons is spitfires that don't carry them and even then, allies, AA and out smarting the enemy quickly get them off my tail. Also, if I get the first shots in I have a chance to damage a module on their plane. Spitfires do have big and wide wings after all



trottenhelm #10 Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 242
  • Member since:
    07-21-2012
I got the advice of using the 20's from somebody ingame. I believe it was Aurabird. Anyway, my performance immediately improved. Then with the "Winds" missions, I flew the Spits quite a bit. Yes they lose some maneuverability but gain in range an damage. It all depends on your style. Trade offs don't you know. The La-5 and Spit V are my current favorites, thanks to that advice.

Shepbur #11 Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 576
  • Member since:
    06-08-2014

View PostAurabird, on 09 June 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

As for making it too sluggish, the only 'problem' I come across when flying with cannons is spitfires that don't carry them and even then, allies, AA and out smarting the enemy quickly get them off my tail. Also, if I get the first shots in I have a chance to damage a module on their plane. Spitfires do have big and wide wings after all

That may be, however throwing reinforced covering onto the spitfires pretty much stops anything short of a 37mm shell hitting it from doing any significant damage... As most people will realise, once the Spit's wing is gone it's pretty much useless... However i do have to say that it's alot easier to do pretty much everything with the MG's over cannons... Especially at t5. As for the increased range with the cannons... it means you can hurt people at 600-700m as opposed to 400-500m... a difference which is relatively rare in the spitfire's case... And as a result i prefer the MG's :P

 

But, i did that research to at least people see both sides of the fence... I was surprised at the altitude and speed data of the spitfires with cannon as i had always assumed it basically nerfed it in every respect... To the point at which i actually triple checked all of my data to make sure i hadn't done anything wrong :P


It doesn't take skill to fly, it takes skill to not make mistakes.


Aurabird #12 Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 3 battles
  • 1,116
  • Member since:
    07-23-2012

View PostShepbur, on 10 June 2014 - 12:35 AM, said:

That may be, however throwing reinforced covering onto the spitfires pretty much stops anything short of a 37mm shell hitting it from doing any significant damage... As most people will realise, once the Spit's wing is gone it's pretty much useless... However i do have to say that it's alot easier to do pretty much everything with the MG's over cannons... Especially at t5. As for the increased range with the cannons... it means you can hurt people at 600-700m as opposed to 400-500m... a difference which is relatively rare in the spitfire's case... And as a result i prefer the MG's :P

 

But, i did that research to at least people see both sides of the fence... I was surprised at the altitude and speed data of the spitfires with cannon as i had always assumed it basically nerfed it in every respect... To the point at which i actually triple checked all of my data to make sure i hadn't done anything wrong :P

 
Most people (casuals, people looking for higher tiers, those who don't consider tier 5 worth buying equipment for, etc) won't get coverings for the wings. If they did i'd have a much harder time peppering them :tongue:

I'm convinced its a play style thing, since "tinking" people with tiny little pebbles doesn't interest me nor do I feel it gives me the desired outcome in a fight. That's why I prefer the cannons! They do more damage (per bullet) than the smaller ones so when they hit I know and so does the enemy! And there's a great joy to be felt when you see a limb of a plane be lobbed off by those awesome cannons! :playing: (I feel like they give more burst damage up close too, hence, shotgun!).

But I just prefer big guns lol. Since its only a 4% drop (last time I took notice) in speed an manuverability for CANNONS, naturally I prefer them because they don't hamper me as much as a BF-109s outboard wing cannons (which I loathe on them, they hamper BF-109s SOOO much).

For 4% of a difference in stats and extra reach for a tiny snipe here and there, I'm happy to have the cannons and duno what all the fuss is about between which is better when its clearly a play style thing :popcorn:



Shepbur #13 Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 576
  • Member since:
    06-08-2014

View PostAurabird, on 09 June 2014 - 07:33 PM, said:

 Most people (casuals, people looking for higher tiers, those who don't consider tier 5 worth buying equipment for, etc) won't get coverings for the wings. If they did i'd have a much harder time peppering them :tongue:

I'm convinced its a play style thing, since "tinking" people with tiny little pebbles doesn't interest me nor do I feel it gives me the desired outcome in a fight. That's why I prefer the cannons! They do more damage (per bullet) than the smaller ones so when they hit I know and so does the enemy! And there's a great joy to be felt when you see a limb of a plane be lobbed off by those awesome cannons! :playing: (I feel like they give more burst damage up close too, hence, shotgun!).

 

Fair enough, however you forget that MG's hit at ~twice the rate of the cannons... that's twice the chance of fire per gun (with 1 cannon replacing 2 MG's that brings it up to 4x the chance of fire, making 8x for the whole plane)... and with 8 mg's that means ALOT of extra damage ;)

 

Anyway, i've given up with screaming at anyone i see flying the V with cannons because there are so many of them... i just dismiss them as an easy kill and go off after the russians first >.>

 

Edit: also, never use WG's  "manoeuvrability" for an argument... it's disturbingly wrong in all respects, and the more you think about it the more you'll notice it :P However i understand that there is only a small loss in manoeuvrability... But IMO, it's still not offset by the firepower (also another made-up stat which has no meaning, just like a gun's DPS! XD) :P


Edited by Shepbur, 09 June 2014 - 06:47 PM.

It doesn't take skill to fly, it takes skill to not make mistakes.


oldkye #14 Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 1,477
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostShepbur, on 09 June 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

 

Fair enough, however you forget that MG's hit at ~twice the rate of the cannons... that's twice the chance of fire per gun (with 1 cannon replacing 2 MG's that brings it up to 4x the chance of fire, making 8x for the whole plane)... and with 8 mg's that means ALOT of extra damage ;)

 

Anyway, i've given up with screaming at anyone i see flying the V with cannons because there are so many of them... i just dismiss them as an easy kill and go off after the russians first >.>

 

That's actually not true sadly in fact for fire cannons have the advantage(as long as they are not over heated) as WG has said "The chance of fire is the chance when all shots hit over a 1 second burst" this means in one second of hits the chance is exactly the same however because cannons shoot much slower each shot has a much higher chance of fire some really slow ones up to 5% per shot with HEI rounds.

 

Since MG's tend to miss a lot of their bullets and can only use API rounds with 15% and cannons can use HEI with 30% cannons reign supreme for starting fires.


Edited by oldkye, 09 June 2014 - 06:49 PM.


Wolfrum #15 Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:54 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 651
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    10-20-2011

View PostShepbur, on 09 June 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

 

Honestly, take the cannons off... and don't you dare even think about them with the Spit V either... They make it slow and unresponsive. However, when you get up to the Spitfire IX, you're going to want to get the upgraded cannons asap.

 

Although to play a fair argument... for the V at least, i did this research back in 1.1.0 i think...

http://forum.worldof...340#entry293340

I honestly have to say, as the person with the most experience in spitfires... That the 8 MG's are worth it.(and use incendiary ammo btw)

 

For tier 5 I will agree. I run the Spitfire 1 with a strict 8 spread of 303's on board.

It works at that tier for tangling with almost anything. However for myself running up against the higher IL's in Tier 6 and up (especially when drawing T7's and 8's into the mix) I need the cannons to both hit and hurt the IL's more as well as getting those long range shots at fleeing BnZ'ers. Sometimes all you have is a second, and the cannons reach helps.

Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with running both 5 and 6 as machine gun boats but cannons can make some planes.

 

-Wolf

 


A veteran is someone who at some point wrote a cheque to their country that was 'up to and including my life'

MagusGerhardt #16 Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:19 AM

    Horten Test Pilot

  • -Community Ace-
  • 870 battles
  • 5,548
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

Have loved my own Spitfire Mk I since I obtained it during and for the Summer Wind event.  I run her with an all MG setup with fire-starting ammo for close-in knifefighting, a playing style I do not get to use often in my usual American and German planes.  The "Spitty" will never leave my hangar.  In fact, my 4 skill at release British pilot now calls it home.

 

Of note; I do have the "Messerfire" tier VI premium as well and do appreciate how effective the dual Hispano 20mm cannon can be.  Both gun setups on the Spitfire are valid; it all comes down to pilot preference.

 

Good hunting, and congratulations on your Spitfire!  :honoring:


 

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787


Ralph_Vargr #17 Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 290 battles
  • 314
  • Member since:
    05-26-2014

Thanks for the advice.

 

I've tried running both combo's, and my playstyle favors the cannons. I love the airplane, regardless. I'm keeping it, even when I grind up.



Ralph_Vargr #18 Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:40 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 290 battles
  • 314
  • Member since:
    05-26-2014

Her name's Demelza:

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk...n_feature.shtml



Ralph_Vargr #19 Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:41 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 290 battles
  • 314
  • Member since:
    05-26-2014
Kept it, even after researching the Spitfire V. Cue Ron Goodwin's "Battle Of Britain" theme...

Navis_Nobilite #20 Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:52 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1 battle
  • 853
  • Member since:
    04-25-2014
While still unlocking everything, I preferred the machine guns. Once I got everything unlocked, I think the Spit works better with the Hispanos.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users