La-160 - OP?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Wesrin #1 Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 304 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

After finally getting a tier IX a couple of weeks ago, I've been seeing this aircraft crop up more and more. Not only that, its cropping up in droves and flights and doing incredibly well. It's gone through a number of subtle buffs and augmentations that seemed to mostly go unnoticed until recent, where I see it consistently outperforming other tier IX's in terms of maneuverability, speed, and climb rate.

I'd like to hear from some 160 jockeys as well as those who have faced them on what they think of the aircraft. Coming from someone who doesn't have one, and only faced them in what could also be called an 'OP platform' (HG II), I find these buggers to be one of my most dangerous opponents. They can climb after me, have hard-hitting 30mm guns, etc.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Tips, tactics for both using the aircraft and fighting it?

Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

Cuesta_Rey #2 Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

This will be an interesting read, as I acquired my La-9 today and am on my way to the La-160 next. Hope like heck it doesn't go the way of the P-51's and get nerfed.

Zen35 #3 Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

Aerial Ninjitsu

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postdoublespook, on 08 June 2014 - 04:01 PM, said:

This will be an interesting read, as I acquired my La-9 today and am on my way to the La-160 next. Hope like heck it doesn't go the way of the P-51's and get nerfed.

Give it time..... it will happen....

If you see the Tracers...............It's too late

FastAttack #4 Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

The LA-160 at the moment against the FJ-1 and attacker are pretty balanced. 1098 is not really in the picture and the Ta-183 can't even touch it.

I wouldn't say its OP , but like other aircraft given to the right pilot it can be deadly.  

StrawStock #5 Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2 battles
No its not OP--- I feel its slightly better than a Yak-19, but marginally..  Both planes still can hit an altitude wall and stall and be very vulnerable, sometimes at a lower altitude than you would think.. Pilot skill and decent MM can make the plane seem OP. I fly the LA-9 now as I am gunning for a LA-160 myself but it may change if and when WoWP adds the MIG-Fighter line.. I have seen many Tier 8 prop-planes take out  LA-160's on the test servers over and over again. Some people forget that most of the lower tier prop-planes can out-turn there shiny new jet.

SweepTheLeg #6 Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:36 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View Postdoublespook, on 08 June 2014 - 08:01 PM, said:

I also just got my La-9 today and am focusing on getting the La-160.  With about 300K more XP to go for a fully equipped La-160, I sure hope it doesn't get nerfed.  I already have the Me 262 and decided to switch and go for the La-160 IX instead of Me 262 HG.  The La-9 is a nice plane but seems like an antique compared to VIII's jets.  I'll probably be getting most of my XP in a Yak-7 and La-5 since they compete better than the La-9 in their tiers IMO.  So, I'll be spending money to convert a lot of that XP...would suck to invest and get hit with the nerf bat right after. I did the same for the Me 262 as I didn't initially fare too well in the 109z.

I didn't rush to Jets.  I've worked my way up 5 different tech lines to VII over the past month and a half since starting. I decided on the La-160 for IX instead of the easier path to 262 HG because it seems rarer than all the 262's and maybe less pursued due to the La-9 not being one of the better VIIIs to get through on the way there.

Carl_the_Cuttlefish #7 Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20 battles
I've heard that every tier IX plane is the best at one point or another. Mr R will tell you its the Ta 183, someone else the p.228...

"It's about to get real inky in here!!!"

- Carl the Cuttlefish, the artist formerly known as S01836775, now in an all new user friendly format.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining in my posts 

And why do we balance???

MagusGerhardt #8 Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:45 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 870 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Stupidly ridiculous airplane.  It turns, it goes vertical, it apparently has boost for days.

Only two guns but they're accurate as hell and do wicked stupid damage for a light fighter.

As bad as I feel for myself having to dogfight these things...I feel worse for the pilots who went up the Yakovlev line to get the Yak-19 at the same tier.

You guys must feel like a bunch of chumps when you encounter this thing.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

jamesriley #9 Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:01 AM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

Really thinking about the la 160 I to can move one tier to level 9, HG2 or start  toward the 1098.But the la 160 has caught my eye.The yak15 also looks good but if the yak 19 is a let down?It seems to me you get a bad one before a good one. I don't know what tier ten has in store yet.I have a JW72 tier 9 [ not tricked out] yet and so far it fallows all the other Japanese planes,you really have to be upgraded to be at your best and sometimes that is not enough to compet with your tier.We need more peeps in this game to really get same tier flights in order to make a accurate assessment.I two hope the Nerf bug doesn't hit the la 160 .

Cuesta_Rey #10 Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

After the 5x free experience over the past few days, I got my La-160, fully upgraded. First thoughts after flying it just once in combat is: gonna really like this airplane. Does everything it needs to do except go as high as some other airplanes in its tier.

Next question is: should I go for the La-15 next at tier 10? I am only 80,000 experience points away from acquiring it now. Decisions, decisions.

Am very tempted to try going the tier 8 Japanese route with the J7W1.

I was very impressed with the Yak-15 on the test server, but much less so with the Yak-19. Didn't seem like very much bang for the buck at tier 9. 

Edited by doublespook, 14 June 2014 - 02:56 AM.

HZero #11 Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 1009 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postdoublespook, on 13 June 2014 - 09:56 PM, said:

Next question is: should I go for the La-15 next at tier 10? I am only 80,000 experience points away from acquiring it now. Decisions, decisions.

The La-15 is still one of my favorite tier 10's from the Test server.  It just seems to handle really well and do whatever you need it to do (much like the entire line).  Plus is has the sweet polished metal "paint job" option...

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users