US Heavies

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

xQuietx #1 Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

I am currently on the pancake... and as much as I love heavies, and love the US line of planes, I am seriously unimpressed with the US heavy line so far. All of the below is from the point of view of fully upgraded. Stock these are some of the worst planes I know, and that says quite a bit.

P38F - wow what a piece of junk.

P38J - not so bad upgraded. Passable.

F7F - big, easy target much like the Mosquito.

Pancake - big, easy target, slow

They all suffer from the idea that heavy should be medium to low maneuverable, good guns, and fast... except...

They are not fast. Most do not have very good guns. And they have no escape method. Much like the Brit line, they are fragile and easily killed. German can at least run away and have armor. The Pancake takes this to a new level of slow. It is a SLOW heavy fighter. Translation - it is a big round target - and the guns are not strong enough to single shot kill a 1v1 (and of course we should be in a group - so guess which target can't get away and will be dead after the first pass.)

Good news - they carry bombs and rockets. So they get the opportuntity to take GTs away from the GAs, making us loved by everyone.

(OK - this is a rant - but someone tell me it gets better - or please WG - the Pancake during beta was better than this thing - it could at least climb like a bat out of hell... but with the altitude squish and the aiming fixes, this is no longer good enough.)

[SF]xQuietx -- World of Warplanes Division -- xquietx@team-sf.com

IPlayWithAppleTree #2 Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 348 battles
Tiny Tim....... Psychotic laughter*

TwistedKestrel #3 Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 286 battles
  • [KAIJU] KAIJU
I enjoyed the P-38F more than the P-38J, possibly because it's easier to deal with tier 5 fighters than tier 6s. I never really had a good time flying either of them heavy, instead the best times were had just diving on people from altitude. That's really the strength of the P-38, the crazy speed & acceleration it has in a dive, and you really have to leverage that to get the most out of them.

vryce #4 Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

I only have the P-38F so far and not even fully upgraded but I love it and do pretty well. I love heavies, and I love the fast American fighters - so if you fly this plane like a hybrid of the two you do well. This means keep your speed up and your speed in your mind at all times, making sure it is there when needed. Normally in my heavy I get away from fighters by flying up and away like most people, this heavy lets me leave them horizontally as well. It almost seems like cheating. This heavy out turns other heavies so heavy vs heavy you have a fighters advantage and the speed to make sure they do not get away. I kind of expect this plane to be nerfed by the nerf monsters at WG eventually.

P-38F gets my seal of approval. It is my goto tier V heavy now. I expect to hate the pancake but will have a ton of fun trying to figure out how to excel with it. Tier VIII is always tricky so that should be fun.

What I like about the new American heavy line is how different they all are. There is no one style for the line and each plan will demand to be flown entirely differently to succeed.

Well done WG.

-Vryce

StrawStock #5 Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2 battles
XF-90 is super fast and big guns. It will take a F7U or a 262'3 to chase it down...but your right about its predecessors, lacking in many ways. 

Navis_Nobilite #6 Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1 battle
I love my P-38F. Maybe it's just not suited to your playstyle. I suspect you love the German planes, which can just barge straight ahead with little to worry about.

xQuietx #7 Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

So far I have Tier 10 German Heavy, German Light, US Carrier, US Light, LA. (So pretty much a mix)

The Brit heavies took some getting used to - though I like the Hornet much better than the Mosq.

The P38 wasn't fast enough to get out of trouble, definitely not enough guns, climbing wasn't too bad if you only wanted to do this once, and wasn't a great horizontal BnZ (The FW which isn't a heavy does it better). The 38J wasn't a bad plane, wasn't a great plane - which is fine - a bit under but as I said passable. The ability to maneuver puts it above the 109Z which I did hate, but it isn't much (it is still a heavy) so this just means when jumping in I can keep target centered longer - which is good - but guns not really good enough even for that. (US guns like close range - at that range not enough maneuver)

The F7F was big... reminded me of the T9 Brit heavy. Felt big, slow... but wasn't too bad (ok stock was horrible) But... I never felt useful except as someone to bait the enemy. I have many opportunities to shoot planes in my other planes... and F7F is one of the easiest for me to shoot down. It can't run, can't turn, big target, and not many hps. Usually I see the F7F get one target and then I smoke it.

The P38's - I just don't fly those tiers that often, but when I did I never had a problem killing one. Never.

Ok pancake - almost every one I have met has been an easy target. I am good at avoiding being shot, and I can't in this plane. Again I usually see it try to kill one target then get someone from tier 6 killing it. (Yes - it is that easy)

I just free-xp'ed thru the second half of the grind up to the F2H. Even stock (well weapon upgrade I got for free) it is a nice plane. Perfect? No. But it is useful, effective. Again the main benefit is the ability to climb - it climbs nice. But... WG has decided that everything is below 9000' so, only so far you can climb. Not complaining - just pointing out this plane would be much better with the altitude bands stretched. I know when I get the engines upgraded it will be even better.

So - P38's - underwhelming, and do not match history (common theme with US fighters with WG)

F7F - needs some minor tweeks

Pancake - Needs major overhaul

F2H - looking good in 3 flights. Will know better as I get more experience with it.

Here is the thing - people rightfully complain about the brit heavy line. The US line is worse until you get to the F2H.

[SF]xQuietx -- World of Warplanes Division -- xquietx@team-sf.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users