XP-50

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Jarod997 #1 Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:21 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 79 battles
  • [CS7-E] CS7-E
So the XP-50 Heavy Fighter has a wonderful roll rate, and great engine power - but when the game says great maneuverability, that really needs to include pitch agility. This thing has trouble turning - I don't find it much better than any other heavy. And with the lack of armour and firepower on this "heavy", I think the pitch agility could use some beefing up.

Currently enjoying: Beaufighter

Cuesta_Rey #2 Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

Seriously? The XP-50 will out-turn any other heavy in it's tier and will give a good fight with actual turn fighters of the light fighter variety. The only thing lacking a smidgen but not uncommon to Premium planes is the firepower is less than other heavies in its tier.

Have you tried more of vertical turns and loops rather just strictly trying to turn in the horizontal?

Jarod997 #3 Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:03 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 79 battles
  • [CS7-E] CS7-E

View Postdoublespook, on 05 June 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

Seriously? The XP-50 will out-turn any other heavy in it's tier and will give a good fight with actual turn fighters of the light fighter variety. The only thing lacking a smidgen but not uncommon to Premium planes is the firepower is less than other heavies in its tier.

Have you tried more of vertical turns and loops rather just strictly trying to turn in the horizontal?

Getting there - it's still new for me. I think in my last battle I started to figure that out.

Meh, maybe I rant too soon. ;) I'm still trying to get past "Skin like paper". (And btw, that's an old EQ reference =8o) )

Currently enjoying: Beaufighter

Cuesta_Rey #4 Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

View PostJarod997, on 05 June 2014 - 11:03 PM, said:

Getting there - it's still new for me. I think in my last battle I started to figure that out.

Meh, maybe I rant too soon. ;) I'm still trying to get past "Skin like paper". (And btw, that's an old EQ reference =8o) )

I know what you mean about figuring out a new plane. Every one of them have strengths and weaknesses that must be exploited and avoided. I am still trying to learn to play to the XP-50's strengths; choose my targets wisely and have an escape plan where I can take advantage of the aircraft's outstanding speed.

MagusGerhardt #5 Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:17 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 787 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

My general strategy with the XP-50

1.  Don't mount the 2x100lb bombs.  They will drag you down as long as you carry them, their damage output is paltry (it takes both to eliminate a single AA gun), and finally your entire battle strategy is predicated on being at high altitude from the start of the match, so going for an early easy GT kill hampers your possible game performance for the rest of the match.

2.  As stated above, climb climb climb.  The XP-50 hunts like any other heavy, 109, or Mustang.  Attack the enemy from the top layer down, never moving down into the next lowest altitude band until the one you are at is clear.

3.  Focus on other aircraft that fight as you do first.  You will outperform all of them in at least one flight aspect; maneuverability or speed.  Outturn the 110s, 410s and other heavies you will encounter.  Outrun everything else.  Only after these threats are eliminated do you move on to engaging the turnfighters in the battle below you.

4.  When engaging the mid to lowest levels of the furball remember the Boom and Zoomer's motto:  "I will only attack from a position of superior energy.  I will only press the attack when a successful hit on my first pass is guaranteed."

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

StoptheViolins #6 Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2179 battles
For some odd reason I thought this aircraft was the 2nd prototype in the XF5F series...

WEBEUS #7 Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 72 battles
As much as I like flying heavies, I may pass on this. They only made 1 and then it was kaput. I prefer aircraft that have a bit of a history.

oldkye #8 Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

I love this plane it plays like a FW 190 that can climb whats not to love? sure it lack a little in fire power but it more then makes up for it in all other performance characteristics.

I use my F7F pilot in it and switching between the two is very smooth as well they play almost the same with the F7F having much more firepower and the XP-50 having more agility.

MagusGerhardt #9 Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:26 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 787 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postwhirabomber, on 06 June 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

For some odd reason I thought this aircraft was the 2nd prototype in the XF5F series...

It was.  The XF5F Skyrocket was a taildragger with a snubnose, with the wing's leading edge projecting ahead of the nose of the fuselage.

The XP-50 was the version generated for the Army Air Corps to consider.  The nose was extended to rebalance the aircraft and change it from a then conventional taildragger to tricycle landing gear.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Also tagged with XP-50

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users