D-Day Weekend Event

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

Content_WG #1 Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Developer
  • 0 battles
It's been 70 years since Allied troops stormed the beaches of Normandy.

Full news text

cyberd1 #2 Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3399 battles
Heavy sigh, I had hopped that pointing out how WOT had gotten 4 days of premium for winning just one battle  would have at least have had WG reduce the requirements for WOWP but alas they have stuck with shoot down 360 aircraft to get the same 4 days.....
"You can run but you'll only Die Tired"

NTaker #3 Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 651 battles

Could have been worse like the Pearl Harbor facepalm event.

Still though this is a joke right?....Complete the Allied or Axis Missions a total of 12 times.

Wesrin #4 Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5254 battles
This event is disappointing and pretty lackluster. The requirements are a bit too extreme for a weekend. 

Fighters attacking ground targets? HERESY!

BrushWolf #5 Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4139 battles

View PostWesrin, on 05 June 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

This event is disappointing and pretty lackluster. The requirements are a bit too extreme for a weekend. 

Yeah, the top players will finish this with ease but the average player will have to grind to do this. The events more and more are feeling like they are designed with the very top players in mind which in turn becomes a big middle finger for the rest.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

Start2 #6 Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3764 battles

Just a suggestion..the camo in your picture in the header for the DDay event shows the Mustang in a DDay configuration........You should make that available, according to the theme of your specials, a special camo, maybe only for looks, maybe only for the period of the special, but available for the planes you are highlighting. A very nice way to commemorate the event AND remember those that fought for freedom. Many config/style are available even if you make it merit based...win x battles or such to achieve it, to keep it forever, otherwise just "adjust" the standard base for the month of June to the "special"  DDay camo.

A different look for each month for certain planes.

GiNnTonic #7 Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 8430 battles
I dont understand why people would be disappointed in 3x weekend - not to mention the discounts off ammo etc.  3x is great for a non-holiday based weekend.

doglip #8 Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

Airman Basic

• 6050 battles
If you're flying a tier 4, does it count if you shoot down a tier 3?

Zen_Reaper #9 Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 7571 battles

D-Day was not an Easy Mission.

Not at all.

It demanded sacrifice and risk and hard work.

Let's not forget that.

While I'm not overly thrilled or impressed with this weekend's Mission requirements and rewards...

...I would feel sort of silly in complaining about it.

If my GranPappy were still alive... I wonder what he would say...

...about a bunch of "gamers" complaining about some digital content as compared to the D-Day invasion.

I'm pretty sure it would get a moderator edit for colorful language. Or maybe not...

Here's my suggestion... For Everyone...

Just play your game man.

Grind your aircraft progression, join your buddies in Flights.

Go kill some bad guys. And then, re-queue and kill some more.

If by chance and by just playing your game...

...you end up finishing parts or all of these Missions...

Good onya.

If not... Good onya anyway.

Just go Play.

Play and Play.

Raise some hell.

And don't forget... the significance of the real D-Day Invasion.

Cheers and Happy Hunting,

- Zen 

Zen Reaper

Zen_Reaper #10 Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 7571 battles

View PostStart2, on 05 June 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Just a suggestion..the camo in your picture in the header for the DDay event shows the Mustang in a DDay configuration........You should make that available, according to the theme of your specials, a special camo, maybe only for looks, maybe only for the period of the special, but available for the planes you are highlighting. A very nice way to commemorate the event AND remember those that fought for freedom. Many config/style are available even if you make it merit based...win x battles or such to achieve it, to keep it forever, otherwise just "adjust" the standard base for the month of June to the "special"  DDay camo.

A different look for each month for certain planes.

That's a nifty idea.

Or some variation of the above suggestion.

Just a nifty idea WG... I hope this gets passed along.

- Zen

Zen Reaper

Zen_Reaper #11 Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 7571 battles

View Postdoglip, on 05 June 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

If you're flying a tier 4, does it count if you shoot down a tier 3?

Yes of course it does.

A kill is a kill.

It won't grant you many points on the score board... and I don't suggest queueing for tier 4 just to hunt tier 3's...

...that's sort of silly.

But sure, any kill is tabulated as a kill, right?

- Zen

Zen Reaper

Chryses #12 Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 974 battles

The x3 is kinda nice. But that mission.... It's Mission: Impossible!

Edited by Chryses, 05 June 2014 - 11:05 PM.

BrushWolf #13 Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:35 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4139 battles

View PostGiNnTonic, on 05 June 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

I dont understand why people would be disappointed in 3x weekend - not to mention the discounts off ammo etc.  3x is great for a non-holiday based weekend.

It isn't the 3X that we are disappointed in it is the mostly impossible for average players weekend mission(s).

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

cyberd1 #14 Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3399 battles

View PostZen_Reaper, on 05 June 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

D-Day was not an Easy Mission.

Not at all.

If my GranPappy were still alive... I wonder what he would say...

...about a bunch of "gamers" complaining about some digital content as compared to the D-Day invasion.

I'm pretty sure it would get a moderator edit for colorful language. Or maybe not...

I am sure that my father (who served in WW2) would agree with your grandfather about the triviality for game play vs real life.  But he was also fond of saying what is good for the goose is good for the gander and the difficulty of World of Warplanes mission has nothing to do with how difficult D-Day was. If the difficulty had something to do with D-Day then World of Tanks D-Day missions would also be hard but they are not, not even close.

Not only do you need to be able to shoot down 120 planes a day but you have to be in the required aircraft and shoot down the required nationalities aircraft, so far I have flown 12 sorties in U.S. aircraft and have yet to shoot down 1 German aircraft, shot down a lot  others but not a German aircraft. 

As other people have stated for an average this is an impossible mission and compared to last months  World of Tanks mission where you just had to win one battle for 4 free days of premium, this is just adding insult to injury.

cyberd1 #15 Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3399 battles

I do not want to be all negative without offering possible solutions, so for the moment lets ignore the difference of effort vs reward between WOWP vs WOT.

What made this weekend mission imposable was not only the 360 planes in 3 days and the fact that everyone is competing for a limited resource the Axis had twice as many chances as the Allied to complete its missions.

Solutions:

1. If you were to keep the same requirements this should have been a month long mission.
2. The number of Allied kills should be half that of the Axis i.e  the Axis (aka the Germans)  has to shoot down 2 airplanes to the Allie's  (aka the U.S. and G.B)  1. This is based on my experience over this weekend and not a arbitrary ratio.
3. If you wanted to be just a weekend event then keeping roughly to the ratio 6 Axis and 4 the Allies 12 times would be reasonable, which works out to be 40 planes a day. Which on the surface sounds easy but you need to remember you have to be in the right plane and shoot down the right aircraft. Now since the numbers have been reduced the reward for going getting one completion would need to be reduced from 50k to 15-20k per touch and go.

Also just as a FYI I ended up paying full price for the F4F I bought for this weekend.

holakc #16 Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:29 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6107 battles

did anyone (besides the 20 players of the server that play the most amounts of battles each day) completted this mission?

IMHO this mission needs to be extended for some more days... or lowered the requirements

Edited by holakc, 09 June 2014 - 06:57 AM.

WoWp clan = [FALO] "Fuerza Aerea Latina Organizada" / WoT clan = [ACA] "Argentina Compañía Acorazada"

cyberd1 #17 Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3399 battles
Well I had about 130+ kills this weekend and didn't even finish 1 go around let alone the 12 of each required. Either I was in the wrong nation or there were only 1 or 2 of the required aircraft on the opposite team or the one I had taken down to 10 hp was shot down by someone else wanting the kill.

WEBEUS #18 Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2304 battles
I may have played one or two battles this weekend. The weather was just too good to stay inside and sit in front of the computer. This game is waning for me. perhaps I'll play more again this winter.

raulv04 #19 Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 11818 battles
That mission is wrong in the mission panel, IMO. It clearly states 0/2 and when completed it states 2/2. The requirement below it doesn't match (complete the missions a total of 12 times), so the counter on top should be 2/12. I only completed the mission once and ignored it. Utterly IMPOSSIBLE. The requirements are more irrational and impossible than the month-long mission to get the premium aircraft in May. This mission depends on many variables, the most important of which is player choice and most of them chose to fly Allied aircraft. The German planes were almost non-existent (an average of three or four in a 15-player team during a given battle). Consequently, the Axis part of the mission was easier to complete (only ONCE). So, with practically non-existent German planes and an irrational requirement, I just brushed it off and it's a black eye for the people at WG.

Chief Commanding Officer, FALO

danbuter #20 Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2709 battles
Did anyone actually complete the Axis and Allies missions enough times to get the free Premium days? Seriously, I played a LOT and I only completed each one time.