• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Traurig_Yoda #21 Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:18 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 2 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostShepbur, on 07 June 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

I would assume this is based mostly on experience since release :P Pretty much everything i've seen looks good, however from what i've found...

The easiest way to gain experience in the game (and so increase your WR) is to fly with experienced players... They'll teach you the basics and probably give you a hell of alot of tips while you fly with them, practising it as you go along, so you actually learn and remember everything. This might take a few weeks, but it's by FAR the best way to learn anything... Eventually, if you push yourself hard enough, you'll get to the same level as them, at which point you can push yourself further, determining what the mistakes you made in the battle were, what you should have done, and why YOU lost the game.

Even in games were you win, you can look back and try and work out what you could have done better. From this you can try and focus on recurring problems and try and fix them, however there will always be something which you can improve on. Yes, you can have really good games, where everything goes right for you, and you get loads of kills, however i would bet on it that you can never have a perfect game.

You can be the judge of performance who is the harshest, but most realistic. And what's more, you're going to listen to yourself alot more often than you are of some random guys raging in the ingame chat :P

As my signature says... It doesn't take skill to fly, it takes skill to not make mistakes...

And have you ever heard of a person who's never made a mistake? :)

this ^^ exactly, there is no magic MM scenario that helps you win, team work in a flight and communication is the key, although some call communications within a flight cheating.

Shepbur #22 Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostTraurig_Yoda, on 12 June 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

this ^^ exactly, there is no magic MM scenario that helps you win, team work in a flight and communication is the key, although some call communications within a flight cheating.

Communication does help, but it can sometimes be easier for you to learn without constant vocal input about the current situation in a battle. It's more about having the basics of the game drilled into your head so you never forget them.

When i first started playing, i was a "reasonable" player... I think after a month or so i had a WR of 52% maybe 53%... Coming from WoT, i thought that was bloody good (as i was pretty bad at WoT with something like 47%WR) I saw a clan who wanted a few members from the beta so they'd have skilled players at release, and i joined them, with the majority of their members having flown since Alpha or CB, WR's of 60%+ and KDR's of 2+ (mine was ~1 at the time) i thought they were all amazingly good players. I joined them on TS and flew for about a month with them everyday in flights... They were "older" guys (40's+ (compared to me at 19)) and they liked to repeat themselves... even if they weren't aware of it... So i'd hear the same thing over and over again day in day out for about a month... By which time i couldn't forget what they'd been saying because they said it so bloody often! :P

It really helped though, It gave me the basics which i hadn't really learnt by flying on my own, and allowed me to watch what they were doing alot more easily, So i managed to learn bits and peices from them... By the end of OB i was pushing my WR up to 57% overall (averaging ~60%+ with ~2KDR). I'd learnt alot about all the aircraft types (apart from GAA's) and was alot more competent at flying them. When the game was released, i had some pretty bad runs with teams etc. However my WR was still at 60% because of what i'd learnt, and from there it increased slightly to what it's stabilised at now(64%), I also learnt some basics about flying GAA's from a very well known GAA pilot over on the EU server, and took it to heart... From what i've seen i've gained alot of skill from flying my GAA's and they're now my 2nd favourite aircraft (I have something stupid like 73%WR, 3KDR in my Bsh-2 over 250 battles).

So as i was saying, personally (because everyone's different) i find it easiest to learn by doing something in the field. I don't have to be talked through everything as i do it, but give me some basic guidelines, a battle and something to fly, and i'll learn it pretty quickly. Guides can help, but i generally can't really take too much away from them in one pass unless they really interest me. And as for being constantly told what's going on in the battle i'm flying... it can really annoy me sometimes (the guys i'm usually flying with constantly say "190 HERE" "HELP MEEE!!!" etc.), Where as on the other end of the scale, and probably one of the best clans on the EU server, DFA, fly around while all in TS together. You barely hear anything about the game itself, apart from the occasional "he's over at F3" or something... They just sit chatting about life, It's a completely different atmosphere, but you can do just as well in it. It just depends on what works for YOU.

Some people like the guy ingame which tells you if you're on fire etc. Personally, i hate the bugger. He annoys the crap out of me saying "don't hit your allies" every 3 seconds when i'm in a dogfight... or "Gain altitude!", So i've turned him off... The ingame music also gets a bit repetitive, so i turned that off too... for a long time i flew with no music at all... although recently i'm listening to stuff from the 00's, 80's and 40's while flying... it keeps me calm and stops me from overthinking stuff too much ingame... Resulting in more fun gameplay... and better results.

Threads like these which tell you how to get a better WR etc. are completely nonsensical and useless to the vast majority of players, however at least it does give them an idea about how to sort it out to find out what's best for them. It's the same with control preferences. I happily give out my control scheme (or at least an edited one) for everyone, however i tell them what they can do to tweak it for different playstyles, as well as the reasons behind why my controls are how they are.

Remember, your main aim in life, is to make yourself redundant! :D

Edited by Shepbur, 12 June 2014 - 11:41 AM.

It doesn't take skill to fly, it takes skill to not make mistakes.

losttwo #23 Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostShepbur, on 07 June 2014 - 11:39 PM, said:

I would assume this is based mostly on experience since release :P Pretty much everything i've seen looks good, however from what i've found...

As my signature says... It doesn't take skill to fly, it takes skill to not make mistakes...

And have you ever heard of a person who's never made a mistake? :)

View PostShepbur, on 12 June 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

Communication does help, but it can sometimes be easier for you to learn without constant vocal input about the current situation in a battle. It's more about having the basics of the game drilled into your head so you never forget them.

Threads like these which tell you how to get a better WR etc. are completely nonsensical and useless to the vast majority of players, however at least it does give them an idea about how to sort it out to find out what's best for them. It's the same with control preferences. I happily give out my control scheme (or at least an edited one) for everyone, however i tell them what they can do to tweak it for different playstyles, as well as the reasons behind why my controls are how they are.

Remember, your main aim in life, is to make yourself redundant! :D

As the title suggests this is based upon my own experience. It is a suggested approach of what works for me.

It is in sharing these experiences that we help others to improve.

Each persons experience is of course different, what works for some may not work for others.

Experience shared is never useless.

However, if one states this is the only way then it becomes useless.

There are many SOLO pilots out there that chose not to use communication or flights.

Even if one person attempts what I have shared in my experience and it works for them, then how can it be nonsense ?

I do of course flight up with people about 10% of the time, do I learn from it ? of course I do. 1 more learning tool.

Is it what increases my win rate, it adds to it, depending of course on the team.

I have had to drop out of flights because of tier jumping.

It is in making yourself redundant that improvements, providing you look at what you did right or wrong, that improves anything.

Like a person once told me long ago " LEARN ONE, DO ONE, TEACH ONE "

Shepbur #24 Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View Postlosttwo, on 12 June 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

Even if one person attempts what I have shared in my experience and it works for them, then how can it be nonsense ?

Sorry :P that comment wasn't a personal attack on this thread, however it was just a general statement, that people shouldn't be reading this thread, doing everything on it, then thinking if it's not working then they're just crap as they're doing everything right. (A few people can think that way >.>) Alot of the stuff which is on here is helpful, and there's alot of similar stuff here about what i've tried and personally done in the past... But people shouldn't be prepared to find 1 way of doing something, then stopping and saying "yeah that'l do..." They should be constantly trying to push themselves harder to improve...

As some people say... you can't learn everything from reading books... Why else do you have to do a practical test to get a driving license? :P

I would try and add more... but it will probably just end up making it sound horrible again >.<

It doesn't take skill to fly, it takes skill to not make mistakes.

losttwo #25 Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostShepbur, on 12 June 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

Sorry :P that comment wasn't a personal attack on this thread, however it was just a general statement, that people shouldn't be reading this thread, doing everything on it, then thinking if it's not working then they're just crap as they're doing everything right. (A few people can think that way >.>) Alot of the stuff which is on here is helpful, and there's alot of similar stuff here about what i've tried and personally done in the past... But people shouldn't be prepared to find 1 way of doing something, then stopping and saying "yeah that'l do..." They should be constantly trying to push themselves harder to improve...

As some people say... you can't learn everything from reading books... Why else do you have to do a practical test to get a driving license? :P

I would try and add more... but it will probably just end up making it sound horrible again >.<

AGREED, doing the same thing expecting different results is futile.

A Jaywalker is a good example:

"He gets a thrill out of skipping in front of fast-moving vehicles. He enjoys himself for a few years in spite of friendly warnings. Up to this point you would label him as a foolish chap having queer ideas of fun. Luck then deserts him and he is slightly injured several times in succession. You would expect him, if he were normal, to cut it out. Presently he is hit again and this time has a fractured skull. Within a week after leaving the hospital a fast-moving trolley car breaks his arm. He tells you he has decided to stop jay-walking for good, but in a few weeks he breaks both legs."

"On through the years this conduct continues, accompanied by his continual promises to be careful or to keep off the streets altogether. Finally, he can no longer work, his wife gets a divorce and he is held up to ridicule. He tries every known means to get the jaywalking idea out of his head. He shuts himself up in an asylum, hoping to mend his ways. But the day he comes out he races in front of a fire engine, which breaks his back. Such a man would be crazy, wouldn't he?"

"You may think our illustration is too ridiculous. But is it?" ~ from the Big Book of AA

Also tagged with stats, win, loss, ratio

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users