Thoughts on the Ki-88?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

False_Fable #1 Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

Master Sergeant

• 4 battles
  • [YAWN] YAWN
I'm a little disappointed that the Ki-88 does not appear to be a turnfighter in the tradition of the zeroes. I've seen a few of these in the air thanks to the mission - does anyone have a review? I'm thinking of buying one, but if one of the other new premiums is better in a furball, I may got for that instead...

SkywhaleExpress #2 Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
It can maneuver quite well.... better than most aircraft that also sport 2x20mm and 1x37mm... oh wait.. it's the ONLY aircraft that carries that much derp power.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

pyantoryng #3 Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2801 battles

View PostRocketSpammer1, on 03 June 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

It can maneuver quite well.... better than most aircraft that also sport 2x20mm and 1x37mm... oh wait.. it's the ONLY aircraft that carries that much derp power.

...what about Yak-9/9U and their 45mm cannons?

I don't like Mustang's playstyle that comes with it personally, but when it do manage to hit it hits really hard...and I can run gold ammo with no problem because the 20mm's gold ammo is only 3 gold/belt for better performance than guns with comparable gold ammo price.

It certainly can farm credits...just keep in mind that for a dedicated Japanese plane player it feels like playing an American plane with derp gun.

Edited by pyantoryng, 03 June 2014 - 11:52 AM.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

SkywhaleExpress #4 Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postpyantoryng, on 03 June 2014 - 06:52 AM, said:

...what about Yak-9/9U and their 45mm cannons?

I don't like Mustang's playstyle that comes with it personally, but when it do manage to hit it hits really hard...and I can run gold ammo with no problem because the 20mm's gold ammo is only 3 gold/belt for better performance than guns with comparable gold ammo price.

It certainly can farm credits...just keep in mind that for a dedicated Japanese plane player it feels like playing an American plane with derp gun.

The Yak's don't have 2x20mm AND 1x37. The 9 has a 12.7mm (aka 50 cal) and a 45mm.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

CrashTailspin #5 Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

Squadron Lead / Wargaming Stunt Pilot

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 518 battles

View PostRocketSpammer1, on 03 June 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

While it is true that the Ki-88 is the only Tier 6 aircraft which mounts twin 20mm cannon along with a 37mm cannon, I disagree that it packs the largest derp power (in other words, maximum alpha damage, or "one-shot kill ability") at Tier 6.  There's several factors that come into play here, and I apologize if the lines get a little muddy at times, since certain factors contribute to both "derp factor" and overall firepower.

Aircraft Comparison Data (Each aircraft has top modules.  Cannons are highlighted by gray background.)

Yes, I understand that's a lot of data to digest, but let's take a look at some of the more pertinent numbers to make some sense of it.

First, let's look at the Ki-88.  Yes, it's got 3 cannons.  Yes, they're pretty big.  But caliber alone doesn't fully determine it's killing ability.  Take a look at the rate of fire and muzzle velocity of its 20mm and 37mm cannon.  They're paltry at best compared to the cannons of other light fighters.  Even the Ki-88's 20mm cannon are only marginally better than the XP-50's or Yak-1M / Yak-9's 12.7mm machine guns in terms of Damage per Second and Alpha damage, but their rate of fire and muzzle velocity still fall short.  Even the Yak-1M's single 20mm cannon boasts twice the rate of fire of the twin 20mm cannon on the Ki-88.

Now let's examine the quintessential "derp gun" of the Ki-88 - the big 37mm HO-203.  At first, it looks menacing, and it should be - at close range it does crazy damage.  However, let's look closer at this vs. the Yak-9's 45mm:

• 37mm HO-203:  Rate of Fire: 120. Muzzle Velocity: 570. Damage / Second: 160. Alpha Damage: 96-160.
  • 45mm NS-45:   Rate of Fire: 270. Muzzle Velocity: 780. Damage / Second: 374. Alpha Damage: 224.4 - 374.

You'd think that a smaller-caliber weapon would have a faster rate of fire and greater muzzle velocity.  Well, not in this case.  While the Ki-88's 37mm will do considerable damage, it fires at less than half the rate the 45mm does, with less muzzle velocity, doing less than half the damage.  If you're looking for a serious one-shot kill ability, the Yak-9 is the definite choice for Tier 6 light fighters.

Let's look at this from another perspective.  Say you're engaging a target that you can't down with one shot.  Now we're looking at a sustained-fire (or whatever you want to call it) kill - where you just lay on the trigger and let the mass of lead flying out of your gun barrels do the job.  When going for a sustained-fire kill, you want as many rounds downrange as possible as fast as possible.  This is where rate of fire and muzzle velocity come into play as well. How does the Ki-88 hold up to that?  Let's take a look at it vs. the La-5 and Yak-1M:

Aircraft Comparison Stats

While the stats don't let the Ki-88 down too much, the rate of fire of its combined weapons package lets it down in comparison to other Tier 6 dogfighters.  To extend this concept further, if you get into a close-in dogfight, the "hammer down until he's dead" theory doesn't necessarily work like it would with an American fighter or one with a considerably better rate of fire, like the La-5 or Yak-1M, where a massive wall of lead just streams from your aircraft.  Also, unless your target is moving in a predictable path, the Ki-88's low total muzzle velocity makes it difficult to pick off a moving target at range.  This makes it a difficult aircraft to master for people with medium to high pingrates.

All in all, the Ki-88 is a very peculiar aircraft.  It doesn't quite fly like a heavy fighter, yet it's not a lightweight, nimble dogfighter, either.  What appears to be a powerful weapons package is, in fact, somewhat "fluffy".  Wait until after Update 1.4 has been out for a while before choosing a good Tier 6 dogfighting Premium.  There's more than just the Ki-88 rolling out (think Mustang 1, Spitfire V DB605, etc. from what I've seen the [WG] guys playing around with).

Edited by CrashTailspin, 03 June 2014 - 06:32 PM.

You must not question "The Forum Laws".  Any questioning of "The Forum Laws" results in automatic removal and / or locking of any post, regardless of the level of constructiveness or thought provocation.

pyantoryng #6 Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2801 battles

I believe Ki-88 gains extra 20 HP on top of the current 200 for 1.4, too.

Not that it matter much - this plane still is as flimsy as an A6M5.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Zen_Reaper #7 Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles

Honestly I haven't had much interest in playing it...

But it seems to me that the Ki-88 is an answer to the P-51 for those that enjoy the Japanese line.

In other words, a departure from the Zero, for those that wish to play Japanese planes.

That's what it feels like to me,

- Zen

Zen Reaper

False_Fable #8 Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Master Sergeant

• 4 battles
  • [YAWN] YAWN
Thanks. I was afraid of that. The cannons don't bother me - that might be fun. But if I wanted a Mustang I would play one.

J311yfish #9 Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4158 battles
  • [343] 343
Thank you Crash for the detailed comparison.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

Kiwiav8r #10 Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 608 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
Remember that this is a premium fighter, so you need to compare apples with apples.  If the Ki-88 was clearly superior in every respect to the Yak-9 there would be a lot of complaints.  As for my impressions of the plane, it's about where I would expect a tier VI premium fighter to be within its tier, good without being great, but a real danger when flown correctly in the right hands.

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

Zen_Reaper #11 Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles

View PostKiwiav8r, on 03 June 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Remember that this is a premium fighter, so you need to compare apples with apples.  If the Ki-88 was clearly superior in every respect to the Yak-9 there would be a lot of complaints.  As for my impressions of the plane, it's about where I would expect a tier VI premium fighter to be within its tier, good without being great, but a real danger when flown correctly in the right hands.

I think this is a fair assessment.

In context to what the plane should represent in its tier.

Thanks,

- Zen

Zen Reaper

J311yfish #12 Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4158 battles
  • [343] 343

I do not often deviate from the Japanese turn-based fighters, but when I do it is nice to be able to throw the same experienced pilot into the Ki-88 without penalty.  If I had to compare it to one aircraft (that I have tried thus far), I would consider its flights characteristics and strategy to resemble the P-40.  That is, keep the altitude high and be selective about when you drop altitude.  It is perhaps a hidden advantage in the low rate of fire in that it does not provide as many tracers to indicate your direction of attack.  I like to keep the guns cool and fire selectively so that the firepower is really there when you need it.  I also find that (for me) the diminished turn rate makes me rely more on my teammates to clear my tail (while I barrel up and away), rather than resorting to usual tactics.

If you are dead-set on getting a turn-burn premium and don't mind waiting, the Ki-43 (Japanese aircraft captured by Chinese) at tier IV could be exactly what you are looking for.  If the leaked stats are still accurate, the turn rate is to be between A5M and A6M1.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

StoptheViolins #13 Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2182 battles
Paperwise it looks like it can out-turn and out punch a brit Mustang.  I'd definitely play it like a 400 but keep the 37mm on a separate trigger - get range with the 20mm's then nose up a pinch for the 37mm.

oldkye #14 Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

This plane is very good but one of the most finicky your sporting pure derp no MG's and they overheat quickly shooting at the air will cost you your kill when you can get a hit and though the Ki-88 is a very high flying and fast plane for a Japanese fighter it doesn't beat much else and it's climb is nothing spectacular.

This means two things should always be on your mind.

1. Manage energy.

2. Manage gun heat.

If you are able to do that it is a amazing play it turns faster then most Germans and a few other fighters and it's harder for them to "stall out" then other planes they also can't handle shots flying away from it straight up very well either.

Unlike other Japanese fighters that can only take on a heavy if you can pull them way way way down and cost them all their energy(aka "they" have to mess up) the Ki-88 well still unable to climb or keep up with them it has enough Altitude and turn ability to "joust" with them and out turn them should they lose energy you are nimble enough to give them pains trying to kill you in one pass and your cannon needs few hits to make them pay for it.

For everything else pick your battles wisely it is fast enough to get away from a zero but not without damage what you lack in ability to turn with people you make up for in raw punch and OHKO ability light fighters either lose a wing or die in a few short hits it's a rough gruff plane but very enjoyable.(just don't think your a zero it has almost nothing in common with one other then it's Japanese lol.)

Edited by oldkye, 06 June 2014 - 10:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users