Brit Heavy Fighters, how to turn their weaknesses into advantages.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Carl_the_Cuttlefish #1 Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20 battles

I would freely say that this line is the hardest line to pick up and get good at, but it's not impossible and they aren't underpowered. Here's some tricks I've figured out:

Size: They are HUGE. Planes like big butts too, so expect everyone to be on yours. With this in mind, make sure you always are ready to dive into friendlies so they can shoot them off your tail. You can run away many times (not always), but it's better if you get your follower killed by a friendly.

Altitude: Who flies at mid altitude? No one and everyone. The disadvantage of the brit HF line is there's no run away zone like the German HF's can and there's no place of advantage really. Everywhere feels like the away field. The advantage though brit HF's can perform reasonably well at any level, so they are the best HF's for taking out IL's and they can climb to take out high flying 262's as well. The other advantage is you can pull high flyers into low altitude and low flyers into high altitude, where you can outperform them.

Maneuverability: The Brit HF's have the best pitch rate of all heavy fighters in the game. This means that you can almost always beat other HF's in a one on one battle by out turning them. However, their roll or yaw rate isn't that good, so it's really hard to stay locked on to targets.

If you guys have any more complaints or solutions, post them here.

"It's about to get real inky in here!!!"

- Carl the Cuttlefish, the artist formerly known as S01836775, now in an all new user friendly format.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining in my posts 

And why do we balance???

WEBEUS #2 Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 76 battles
I'm a huge fan of my Beau. I'm an average player and will most likely not get any better, but it is one aircraft I will hold onto for the duration. it's a great feeling when my tail gunner takes out a bad guy. Loading up with rockets also helps with the occasional GT.

11thACRColdsteel #3 Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [11_TH] 11_TH

View PostPop57, on 27 May 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

I'm a huge fan of my Beau. I'm an average player and will most likely not get any better, but it is one aircraft I will hold onto for the duration. it's a great feeling when my tail gunner takes out a bad guy. Loading up with rockets also helps with the occasional GT.

Ditto.  My Beau is one of my favorites.  I live in the Western US and so my ping is fairly high (130-150).  This makes light fighters difficult to play well, and turn and burn planes almost impossible to play well.  (or perhaps it's my declining hand eye coordination as I get older????  LOL)   I have found that heavy fighters are workable, even at this ping level.  The primary attribute of the Beau is insane fire power.  I like playing it especially when I'm flighted up with another pilot or two as they can sweep my 6 when necessary.  Great plane.   It's especially effective in the shallow dive...

Mackunaima #4 Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

View Post11thACRColdsteel, on 27 May 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Ditto.  My Beau is one of my favorites.  I live in the Western US and so my ping is fairly high (130-150).  This makes light fighters difficult to play well, and turn and burn planes almost impossible to play well.  (or perhaps it's my declining hand eye coordination as I get older????  LOL)

lol

I live in Brazil and I've never had a ping lower than 120ms.

Could that explain a lot?
  :sceptic:

BTW, I don't like any HF. I like to pursuit and kill, stay close and messing with everyone. :trollface:

or be a GA and walk through the backyard harvesting blueberries, apples and grapes

Edited by Mackunaima, 27 May 2014 - 04:46 PM.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

pyantoryng #5 Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2801 battles

View PostMackunaima, on 27 May 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

lol

I live in Brazil and I've never had a ping lower than 120ms.

Could that explain a lot?
  :sceptic:

BTW, I don't like any HF. I like to pursuit and kill, stay close and messing with everyone. :trollface:

My ping is never lower than 300...because I am on the other side of the world from America :unsure:

...and I play mostly TnB planes...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Mackunaima #6 Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 27 May 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

My ping is never lower than 300...because I am on the other side of the world from America :unsure:

...and I play mostly TnB planes...

I think you end up getting a spider sense. =D

Another thing is that you end up compensating for this delay ping and always shooting where you expected to be the target.

Regards,
Mack

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

trottenhelm #7 Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
I love my Beau and just picked up the Mosquito. Even stock I think its great. Ripped 2 P38Js to pieces in it and burned away several A62Ms. As I get more experience and upgrades it has got to get better. I know if you pick up a few trailers early you are probably finished. Playing it in a similar to Fw190 mode really seems to fit. The downside is you need a decent team (I mean one that understands at least the basics) if you pick up those trailers. You have some speed but there are a lot of LFs out there that can easily keep up if they have the energy. I pick an edge and try to slash through concentrating on 1 target and then boost away. GAAs are fairly easy targets if you have unimpeded access to strafing them. They are cool.

Kiwiav8r #8 Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 608 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_

I've ground all the way to tier X in the Brit heavies.  Its been some time since I flew the Hornet, P1056 and P228 because I had to sell them to climb the ladder to the Javelin.  I endorse what S01836775 said, and here's few things you may not know:

The Brit heavies (generally speaking) are faster than the Germans at low level and accelerate better. 

My tactics in the Tier IV-VI planes when taking on German heavies is to evade the head on pass and get on their tail.  Once you are on their tail their only resort is to dive away, and you should be able to stay with them long enough to get a good burst into them.  Aim at their engines so you deny them their speed advantage and they're dead meat.

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

Carl_the_Cuttlefish #9 Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20 battles

View PostKiwiav8r, on 27 May 2014 - 10:48 PM, said:

I've ground all the way to tier X in the Brit heavies.  Its been some time since I flew the Hornet, P1056 and P228 because I had to sell them to climb the ladder to the Javelin.  I endorse what S01836775 said, and here's few things you may not know:

The Brit heavies (generally speaking) are faster than the Germans at low level and accelerate better. 

My tactics in the Tier IV-VI planes when taking on German heavies is to evade the head on pass and get on their tail.  Once you are on their tail their only resort is to dive away, and you should be able to stay with them long enough to get a good burst into them.  Aim at their engines so you deny them their speed advantage and they're dead meat.

I do the same thing with german HF's. Dodge the head on, to avoid rams and losing lots of HP, then turn and get on their tails and they can't shake you very well. But like you said, germans are bad in the low altitudes, and that's the best way to get those nasty german or us fighters off your butt, a steep dive, 60-90 degrees down. If there are friendlies down there, then they can die while chasing you. Do the opposite for Yaks and Japanese.

It's funny though cause the beau was probably my least favorite in the line. I bought it back though and I'll play it some more. I really liked the Blenheim and Hornet. I'll have the p.1056 here soon after I get the guts to spend a little (20000) free XP.

Edited by S01836775, 28 May 2014 - 12:46 AM.

- Carl the Cuttlefish, the artist formerly known as S01836775, now in an all new user friendly format.

And why do we balance???

Carl_the_Cuttlefish #10 Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20 battles

View Posttrottenhelm, on 27 May 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

I love my Beau and just picked up the Mosquito. Even stock I think its great. Ripped 2 P38Js to pieces in it and burned away several A62Ms. As I get more experience and upgrades it has got to get better. I know if you pick up a few trailers early you are probably finished. Playing it in a similar to Fw190 mode really seems to fit. The downside is you need a decent team (I mean one that understands at least the basics) if you pick up those trailers. You have some speed but there are a lot of LFs out there that can easily keep up if they have the energy. I pick an edge and try to slash through concentrating on 1 target and then boost away. GAAs are fairly easy targets if you have unimpeded access to strafing them. They are cool.

Sometimes playing like FW's leaves you smelling like a rose. I've gotten a few aces that way. However, more often than not you get some fighter stuck on your butt and you can't lolroll away like you can in a FW. You just watch yourself press W and die. That's why the oblique angles are needed, almost like L shaped attacks instead of slight V or line attacks, like Fw's do. Planes don't like to leave their altitude band.

And why do we balance???

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users