Spitfire Mk I, a love affair

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Jiggiwatt #1 Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

I have to throw out some serious love for this aircraft. Not only is it the prettiest thing in the sky, but if I'm not getting at least 2 kills per battle it's because I didn't bother trying. On the first run through on my way to the Mk V I ran it with the Hispanos, but after leaving it in my hanger for awhile and then coming back to it I found that running with the 8 x .303s to be the much better option. In that configuration:

-Airspeed is on par with everything else in it's tier

-Manoeuvrability is better than everything outside of the Zekes (and even that is a close contest)

-If you hold fire until you're inside 400 yards, you can usually shred anything else in the same tier in a single pass

Why I don't run into more Spits day to day, I have no idea.

Nos morituri te salutamus

pyantoryng #2 Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2992 battles

Spit pilots either goes all the way up to Attacker...or they got tired of the 146 before making it to Spitfire.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Wing_Commander_Zero #3 Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS
I liked them but then i found the p-40 much more enjoyable. It can get higher. The spitfire is a jack of all trades but master of none.

Lithiumninja #4 Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:02 PM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [REGAL] REGAL

Despite the fact that I average higher exp per battle with this plane than anything else in my hangar (surprising given it's relatively low firepower for its tier), my winrate with it is middling. 

But I am rather fond of the thing. In T4-5 matches, you can usually get in pretty close and when you do, the .303s shred targets surprisingly quickly. The high volume of fire also helps set stuff on fire, and API ammo is pretty cheap in this calibre. And they fire for a long time before overheating. 

Mercsn #5 Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2993 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

The Spit I makes up for its short range firepower with great controlability and smooth flight model.  It just behaves very well.  

I think more players don't work this line because, as pyantoryng mentions, the planes before it at tier III and IV give no hint of how good the Spit I is.  Then, everything after it until tier IX is just a "bad" Spit I in each successive aircraft's own tier.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Jiggiwatt #6 Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

I found the Spitfire Mk V and IX to be mediocre. My biggest gripe with the latter is that I am routinely stuck in tier IX matches (oh irony, you bitch) where I can usually flit about well enough so that I live however contribute little in terms of damage.

View PostWing_Commander_Zero, on 26 May 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

I liked them but then i found the p-40 much more enjoyable. It can get higher. The spitfire is a jack of all trades but master of none.

You're right, but it's so CLOSE to being a master in all categories (outside of firepower) that it ends up being very forgiving. 

Topsight #7 Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:40 AM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-
The spit is more of a love affair, I have the entire line to X. If you start the line...keep moving up until at least tier IX (Attacker); it is an awesome aircraft and better than the Swift (Tier X), in my opinion. At tier VII (Spit IX) things begin to look much brighter for the Spitfire.

Aurabird #8 Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 3 battles
I take my spits with cannons and fly them like shotguns. sure I'm a bit slower and sluggish than other spitfires, but if I get the chance i'll burst them out of the sky! the 20mms just make tearing wings/tails off just that more fun and easier :tongue: (I also snipe with them when I chase guys running away)

The V isn't that great in my opinion (its top moduled version looks the exact same as the 1s top module version!), but the IX and XIV were great fun for me. The attacker is just awesome and has been treating me very well lately. I always take rockets on it too :teethhappy:

Edited by Aurabird, 27 May 2014 - 12:22 PM.

Topsight #9 Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-
Last night just after my post I took the Spit I out for a spin and shot down four; the Hispano is standard equipment or my spit.

Jiggiwatt #10 Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

I suppose the weapons are going to be dependent on your preferred play style. Personally, I like to get close enough to make eye contact. I was thinking of trying out the rest of the line on the test server, but I've decided to keep it a surprise.

Edited by Jiggiwatt, 27 May 2014 - 02:42 PM.

_Algy #11 Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 27 May 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

Spit pilots either goes all the way up to Attacker...or they got tired of the 146 before making it to Spitfire.

Think of The Bristol 146 as a missile.

If you see me flying at you in a Tsh-2, make sure your my ally, or prepare for a face-full of incendiary bullets.

BigWaveSurfer #12 Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 30 battles
I'm still waiting on my beloved Hurricane :tongue:
Alpha/Super Tester World of Warships/Closed Beta Tester World of Warplanes/Beta Tester World of Tanks

Shepbur #13 Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View Post_Algy, on 14 June 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

Think of The Bristol 146 as a missile.

I managed to get the nickname "Bristol Brick" to stick over on the EU servers after i complained so much about the 146 after release :P

Everyone i know has really good stats in the brick... but i don't know anyone who actually likes it as an aircraft (a few like it just to annoy me >.>). It's a great turn-fighter, with the top guns it's got some amazing firepower for a TnB t4 aircraft... but it just lacks the ability to get into the turnfights... That and at t4 there are alot of planes which can turn with it easily... or out-run it in a climb.

On the other hand, after grinding the 146 to the spitfire, she feels like an angel :P Much faster, great guns which barely overheat, and some beastly TnB abilities. Over on the EU server it's generally accepted that the Spitfire I needs to be flown with the 8 brownings, but there are various ideas about the tactics you should use with her...

http://forum.worldof...324#entry313324

This was a thread which a friend created on the EU forums with a little input from me on tactics and module research across the 4 spits in the game... It gives a (scarily) brief overview of the tactics which i've found to be most effective... But it's essentially a "hybrid" aircraft >.> Anything more technical than that normally gets pretty messy in explanation unless i'm physically showing you... :P

It doesn't take skill to fly, it takes skill to not make mistakes.

mizer67 #14 Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

I think the reason I don't like the Spit more is the short range firepower.

You really need to get into knife fight distance for the .303's to be effective, which can be a challenge against VI and VII's and even then they're bad at taking down GA late in the game to stave off a supremacy loss.

trottenhelm #15 Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
I learned the Spits from the missions building XP for the nations. I liked it before, after the mission I love it. I too fly it like the shotgun analogy. I understand the "up close" preference but do not do as well with that. With the nice boost that it can do it does well at many things. The only downside with the cannons for me is that when the engine is heated, it can be out turned by some.

HZero #16 Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 1009 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

The Spit I is a dream to fly (3.67 K/D, 66% W/R), on par with the P-51's.  It just handles really well and the energy retention is off the charts. 

I am really, really struggling with the Spit V though (1.59 K/D, 50% W/R) .  I hope the rest of the line perks up because it has been a disappointment.  The handling is sluggish at times and while at tier 5 it can outclimb what it can't out turn, that is no longer true at tier 6, facing the excellent Yak-1M and La-5.

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

Jiggiwatt #17 Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostHZero, on 14 June 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

The Spit I is a dream to fly (3.67 K/D, 66% W/R), on par with the P-51's.  It just handles really well and the energy retention is off the charts. 

I am really, really struggling with the Spit V though (1.59 K/D, 50% W/R) .  I hope the rest of the line perks up because it has been a disappointment.  The handling is sluggish at times and while at tier 5 it can outclimb what it can't out turn, that is no longer true at tier 6, facing the excellent Yak-1M and La-5.

I didn't do very well with the MkV either. The MkIX was an improvement once upgraded, but it's a bit of a pain stock. The Mk I is just the perfect aircraft.

HZero #18 Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 1009 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostJiggiwatt, on 16 June 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

I didn't do very well with the MkV either. The MkIX was an improvement once upgraded, but it's a bit of a pain stock. The Mk I is just the perfect aircraft.

I'm only 7k from the Mk IX, and I have about 40k free XP tucked away....no way I am flying that thing stock.  (-:

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

Shepbur #19 Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

• 0 battles

View PostHZero, on 16 June 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

I'm only 7k from the Mk IX, and I have about 40k free XP tucked away....no way I am flying that thing stock.  (-:

Buy the airframe and guns first... you can ignore the engines :)

It doesn't take skill to fly, it takes skill to not make mistakes.

HZero #20 Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 1009 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostShepbur, on 16 June 2014 - 11:07 AM, said:

Buy the airframe and guns first... you can ignore the engines :)

I was going to protest but I looked through the numbers some - do you say this since the upgraded engines don't really help?  As in, you are always going to be faster than the A7M, but always slower than every other t7?  Same with the t6's now that I look at those too - if you are slower than them stock, you are still slower than them when upgraded...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users