Aiming: Lead-compensation changes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

gunlion #1 Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:05 PM

Community Manager

• 1284 battles

A new, four-stage lead-compensation aim point has been introduced on the test server:

• 1st stage — gray point on the lead vector shows the direction of the target flight; the target is out of the firing range
  • 2nd stage — small red circle on the lead vector shows that the target is at max distance for the most ranged weapon
  • 3rd stage — big red circle on the lead vector shows that the target is at the distance of effective fire for all weapons
  • 4th stage — crosshair on the lead-compensating aim point shows that aim point of the player's plane and lead-compensating aim point were superimposed and the player can open accurate fire.

Please let us know what you think of this new interface feature! 

ArrowZ_ #2 Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:12 PM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 8915 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
Interesting. Going to give it a shot.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

Joe42666 #3 Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6229 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
is there an ETA on when the "aiming" bug will be fixed? (where shots land below the cross hairs most noticeable on ga's)

You can take everything i have, but you can't take the sky from me.

gunlion #4 Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:26 PM

Community Manager

• 1284 battles
This should potentially help with that issue, Joe. Let us know how the new aiming lead feels! Are your shots hitting where they should? 

DJChrisRock #5 Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:30 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2648 battles
  • [ROHAN] ROHAN
Gunlion, in regards to what Joe said, I have to continually aim above Ground Targets to get my shots to hit in my Attack Aircraft.

"Go in close, and then when you think you are too close, go on in closer."
Major Thomas B. "Tommy" McGuire, USAAF - Second Leading U.S. Ace, WW-II

FastAttack #6 Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:49 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6799 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

is there going to be a legacy version of this , my humble opinion I don't need this complex lead indicator.

being that I fly with airplanes with huds as well , there is no fancy colors going on , the more colors you see the more distracting it gets. 

Edited by FastAttack, 22 May 2014 - 11:57 PM.

BrushWolf #7 Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:50 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10628 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

Took it for a spin in a training room. I couldn't see the grey dot but the small max range and large effective range were quite visible. The most effective range crosshair needs to be a bit more obvious but is an excellent idea. I like the idea but it needs some tweaking.

Edit: My shots seemed to be hitting where they should but my test plane was my P12 so the range is short to begin with.

Edited by BrushWolf, 23 May 2014 - 12:01 AM.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

WanderingGhost #8 Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 9345 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Honest opinion on this is its more complex then it needs to be. It can be rather distracting and makes it harder to just hone in on the spot and actually go by "I'm at x range which is about right" and just open up. Honestly I think all I'd really want from this would be stage 4 added to the current reticle lead as a sort of "yeah, they're toast" signal if you go to fire, as my aim at closer ranges tends to be off.

As far as it helping with the current issues, I'll have to test more. Things seemed okay with the couple matches in my 190 A-5, however most of my play testing was in the P-51A, and I'm not sure if it's the aim bug, or the nerf, but it was having difficulty hitting a ME-410 till I was about 300m away. I'm not impressed with that nerf but I'll break my experience with that down more once we have a place to.

Aces/Destroyer/Ace(post1.9)(#of/#) - A6M1(7/1), P-36(1), BF-109b(3), Ao-192(1), beaufighter(3/1), BF-109z(2), P-12(2), A6M2(3), P-51a(4), Yak-7(2), Bf-110C-6(2), F4F(2/4), Blenheim(2), BSH-2(1), XP-50(1),  BF-109f(1), LA-5(1), Spitfire I(2), P-40 M-105(3), BF-110e(1), F4U-1(1), FW-190 A-5(4), I-16e.(1), XF4F-3(1), A6M5(5), F7F(1), XF4U-1(1), Bf-109E (1), A7M (2), I-16l (1), P-38f (1), P-40 (1), Mig-3 (1)

BrushWolf #9 Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:52 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10628 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostWanderingGhost, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

Honest opinion on this is its more complex then it needs to be. It can be rather distracting and makes it harder to just hone in on the spot and actually go by "I'm at x range which is about right" and just open up. Honestly I think all I'd really want from this would be stage 4 added to the current reticle lead as a sort of "yeah, they're toast" signal if you go to fire, as my aim at closer ranges tends to be off.

As far as it helping with the current issues, I'll have to test more. Things seemed okay with the couple matches in my 190 A-5, however most of my play testing was in the P-51A, and I'm not sure if it's the aim bug, or the nerf, but it was having difficulty hitting a ME-410 till I was about 300m away. I'm not impressed with that nerf but I'll break my experience with that down more once we have a place to.

Cut out the max range lead leaving only the effective and most effective leads.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

Tuesdaysgone #10 Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:38 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6304 battles
  • [WARRP] WARRP

Please let us know what you think of this new interface feature!  So, we, us , old ''players"  are suppose to test the weapon sight, on a fast moving plane,  on a game, that has been  open to play, and WGing will happily except real money,, I'm at lost on this,  Jiminy Christmas,  the new tank patch is even mucked  on my pc, what do you do, throw darts at a guess board?

"Virgil Caine is my name, and I served on the Danville train"
Not Scared to play SOLO!

BrushWolf #11 Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:06 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10628 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostTuesdaysgone, on 22 May 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

Please let us know what you think of this new interface feature!  So, we, us , old ''players"  are suppose to test the weapon sight, on a fast moving plane,  on a game, that has been  open to play, and WGing will happily except real money,, I'm at lost on this,  Jiminy Christmas,  the new tank patch is even mucked  on my pc, what do you do, throw darts at a guess board?

It is a new feature they are thinking about putting into the live game. I find it ironic that people complain when companies do not ask for input but on the other hand they complain when a company does ask. :facepalm:

Russian Proverb

Cuesta_Rey #12 Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6491 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN
I definitely noticed the change, but it will take more battles to form an opinion. At first glance, it was surprising and unexpected. Glad you clarified the four stages exactly.

ArrowZ_ #13 Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:45 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 8915 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
It's a nice addition. Just one of those things that you have to get used to in time. In the Test server the tracers along with the reticle is fixed. Not sure If that will be the same result when 1.4 Patch comes.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

BrushWolf #14 Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:48 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10628 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostArrowZ_, on 22 May 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

It's a nice addition. Just one of those things that you have to get used to in time. In the Test server the tracers along with the reticle is fixed. Not sure If that will be the same result when 1.4 Patch comes.

We can only hope on the aim bug.

Russian Proverb

SystemRename_999888 #15 Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:27 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22888 battles

View PostFastAttack, on 22 May 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

is there going to be a legacy version of this , my humble opinion I don't need this complex lead indicator.

being that I fly with airplanes with huds as well , there is no fancy colors going on , the more colors you see the more distracting it gets. 

I have mixed feelings about it and I hope there are some options for customization too.  I did like that it gave a better indication of which way an enemy was flying through clouds without having to look away from the HUD.

But I agree that the less visually distracting gingerbread in the center of the screen the better.  I can see how some of the changes might help newer players understand gun ranges and such better, but I prefer the cleaner look with less distraction.

View PostBrushWolf, on 22 May 2014 - 10:48 PM, said:

We can only hope on the aim bug.

I only flew a few matches and it was hard to tell with the lag from the slow ping, but it actually felt like it was fixed/improved to me on the test server.

EDIT: Nope, it's still there. :facepalm:

Edited by Rock18, 25 May 2014 - 01:40 AM.

A deeper understanding of the difference between a fad and a fashion statement will enable you to win a fashion fueled guessing game. 

SkywhaleExpress #16 Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 17397 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
I would rather keep the lead indicators the way they are. It's not the lead indicator that is the issue. It's the crosshairs being off from where the guns are firing.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

Knight44 #17 Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5709 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

After more flying today on the test server, including in the training room with different aircraft types, I believe that the new aiming circle is a very good improvement.

- small circle showing in range for longest range weapon allowed me to fire and take down opponent from much farther away than I would have tried before.

- don't have to check distance from target continually, visual feedback of the aiming circle provides info better.

- aiming circle changes are intuitive, don't get in the way and don't distract, thus a net plus.

- probably more helpful for average players. The 70%'s probably don't care.

- the aim seemed to be right on, but harder to tell for sure due to higher ping on CT.

A good improvement, keep it.

BrushWolf #18 Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10628 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostRocketSpammer1, on 23 May 2014 - 03:39 AM, said:

I would rather keep the lead indicators the way they are. It's not the lead indicator that is the issue. It's the crosshairs being off from where the guns are firing.

For those of us that have experience this is only confirms what we already know. For new players this will help them get up the learning curve faster and more likely to stay which is a good thing.

Russian Proverb

GeorgePatton #19 Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7022 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

This lead-point, if kept, NEEDS to be limited to up to tier 4. This much information is simply too much once people get to know what they're doing. Let me explain.

Gun Ranges:

When you show max weapon range, all weapon range, and best weapon range, you're giving so much information, knowing your weapon's performance is really irrelevant. This is a massive advantage over those who do not use the lead-point compensator.

Directional Indicator (grey):

Giving the grey directional indicator BEFORE the opposing aircraft is in gun range puts the targeted pilot at a massive disadvantage. Now, he not only has to worry about the lead indicator showing his movement at max gun range, but also beyond that, which basically sets him up to die.

We already have enough issues with evasive maneuvering due to the slow roll rates of aircraft and lead-point compensator telegraphing our every move to those who use the device.

Oh, did I forget to mention that this lead-point indicator is a MUST HAVE when fighting on a cloudy map? Yep, that's right... You can't use a cloud to hide unless the game mechanics make you invisible, which is rather difficult to achieve. If it was hard to hide in clouds before because of the lead-point indicator, it's going to be a LOT harder now.

PLEASE GET RID OF THIS OR LIMIT IT TO TIER 4 MAX!

Cheers!
Glenn

BrushWolf #20 Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10628 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostGeorgePatton, on 23 May 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

This lead-point, if kept, NEEDS to be limited to up to tier 4. This much information is simply too much once people get to know what they're doing. Let me explain.

Gun Ranges:

When you show max weapon range, all weapon range, and best weapon range, you're giving so much information, knowing your weapon's performance is really irrelevant. This is a massive advantage over those who do not use the lead-point compensator.

Directional Indicator (grey):

Giving the grey directional indicator BEFORE the opposing aircraft is in gun range puts the targeted pilot at a massive disadvantage. Now, he not only has to worry about the lead indicator showing his movement at max gun range, but also beyond that, which basically sets him up to die.

We already have enough issues with evasive maneuvering due to the slow roll rates of aircraft and lead-point compensator telegraphing our every move to those who use the device.

Oh, did I forget to mention that this lead-point indicator is a MUST HAVE when fighting on a cloudy map? Yep, that's right... You can't use a cloud to hide unless the game mechanics make you invisible, which is rather difficult to achieve. If it was hard to hide in clouds before because of the lead-point indicator, it's going to be a LOT harder now.

PLEASE GET RID OF THIS OR LIMIT IT TO TIER 4 MAX!

Cheers!
Glenn

George, I feel you want this game to be more of a sim which will drive new players away. As I said in my previous post this really doesn't add any additional information for experienced players with the possible exception of the all weapons being in effective range which I feel is good.

Russian Proverb

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users