Public Test 1.4 Tier VI Premium planes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

Poll: New Tier VI Premiums (14 members have cast votes)

What is your opinion on the Bell P-39 Q-15 Airacobra?

1. Fun to play; competitive and balanced against other Tier VI planes. (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. Fun to play, but overpowered in its tier. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Fun to play, but underpowered in its tier. (6 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

4. Not fun to play; it is not a viable plane against other Tier VIs. (1 vote [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

5. I have not yet played the Airacobra. (4 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

What is your opinion on the Spitfire V DB 605?

1. The 'Messerspit' is awesome! A well-balanced plane. (6 votes [42.86%])

2. It's awesome, but it's too strong compared to other Tier VI planes. (0 votes [0.00%])

3. I enjoy flying it but it's not strong enough compared to other Tier VI planes. (0 votes [0.00%])

4. It's not balanced at all, and not fun to play. (0 votes [0.00%])

5. I have not yet played the Spitfire V DB 605. (8 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

What do you think of the Mustang Mk.1?

1. Balanced performance. (2 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. Fun to fly, but some stats need to be readjusted. (Lowered) (1 vote [7.14%])

3. Fun to fly, but some stats need to be readjusted. (Raised) (4 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

4. Not fun to fly. Needs a full balance pass. (0 votes [0.00%])

5. I have not yet played the Mustang Mk.1. (7 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

What did you think of the Ki-88?

1. Great plane, competitive and balanced against other Tier VIs. (9 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. I like it, but it's overpowered. (0 votes [0.00%])

3. I like it, but it's underpowered. (1 vote [7.14%])

4. I don't like the Ki-88's performance at all. (1 vote [7.14%])

5. I have not yet played the Ki-88. (I need to get more XP in the Summer Wind event!) (3 votes [21.43%])

What do you think of the XP-50?

1. It's a great addition to the US Heavy Fighter line! (6 votes [42.86%])

2. It's a good plane, but too powerful in Tier VI. (2 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. It's a good plane, but not powerful enough to be competitive in Tier VI. (3 votes [21.43%])

4. It's nonviable in Tier VI. (0 votes [0.00%])

5. I have not yet played the XP-50. (I need to get more XP in the Summer Wind event!) (3 votes [21.43%])

Vote Hide poll

gunlion #1 Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

Community Manager

• 1284 battles
New Tier VI Premium planes are available for you to test in the 1.4 Common Test! Let us know your thoughts about them! 

Please read the WoWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook & Twitter!

doublespook #2 Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6491 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

Will save the vote until later after more battles, but first impression of the Mustang Mk.1 is, Wow, nice! The added firepower and mix of armament is great in my opinion. Whatever nerfs there may be compared to the P-51B altitude thingy are offset by the added firepower. Seems to retain energy well and very similar to the P-51B in how it feels to fly it. Will definitely be buying one of these when it goes live.

First impression of the P-39 Q-15 is adequate firepower but lacking in the handling and energy retention categories. Not a BnZ but not quite a TnB either. It reminds me a lot of the Yak7, and that was not a favorite for me by any stretch.

Raindrops #3 Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:59 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2934 battles
  • [EDF] EDF
The 37mm on that P-39 packs a real punch, but when it comes to turning, it tends to nose down. A lot. Not really good to dogfight at low altitude it seems.

I never said I was good.

USA needs GA too.

WanderingGhost #4 Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 9345 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Alright, now that I've had a chance to use all of them at least a little -

P-39 Q15 - 

So far a generally good solid plane. Could use a little help in turning but otherwise fine. Not sure how best to describe it, possibly what I'm experiencing is what Rain drops above me said, its nosing down in a turn. Regardless as is, it's a plane I would consider getting at it's tier.

Spitfire V DB 605 - 

This plane is absolutely perfect as is, no fine tuning required. The difference in speed and mobility is noticeable, though despite the slightly different flight characteristics, still in essence feels like a spitfire. I would absolutely purchase this plane on release as a German premium. A nice change up from the usual boom and zoom in it's lines with high firepower. 

Ki-88

Unlocked this plane a couple weeks back, The 20 hit points added in the 1.4 beta do help, but while I find this aircraft fun to fly, and again a nice change from it's line. I think it suffers from trying to be too many things. The firepower is reminiscent of the Russian upper tiers, durability of Japanese planes and German maneuvering and speed. This plane feels like it wants to boom and zoom, but not quite enough for it, or turn and burn, but not really capable. Weapon accuracy also leaves something to be desired as when it hits its devastating, but even with the 4th stage of the new reticule rounds from both the 37 and 20mm were missing targets. Great as a freebie, but to actually purchase, I'd lean toward 1 of 3 options. 1: Add a few more hitpoints still, it honestly can't hurt this too much in balance, perhaps give it the survivability it needs without being way too overpowered. 2: Give it a little more speed or energy retention to serve as a good boom and zoom aircraft. 3: increase it's mobility, make it a better turner then it is at the moment. That way at least it has the option to more easily dodge incoming fire. Any one of those 3 I think would help take this out of it's sort of point of mediocrity of not being terrible to fly, but not as great as it could be. However, I would choose only one of those, adding two could break the plane in the opposite direction and make it blatantly overpowered all things considered.

XP-50

Again, unlocked it, and I love it. This plane is perfectly fine as is and makes up for its lack of punch with its speed and mobility. I would recommend no changes at all at this point. It's a solid aircraft and fun to fly, no tinkering needed.

Mustang Mk I

This plane while generally enjoyable, does not feel suited for tier 6, let alone to deal with 7 and 8. While it's weapons are alright, this aircraft needs either a boost in it's speed or some help turning, one of the two. As is, it's underwhelming and loses out to pretty much every single premium of it's tier in 1 or more categories, let alone actual tier planes fully upgraded. I can understand making t's turning take a hit given it's weapons, but it at the very least needs some speed and all to find a good way to fight. At least be a decent boom and zoom plane as opposed to good vs tier 5 but sub par vs 6.

Which brings me to 

The P-51A nerf

I'm not sure what to make of this. This seems like either a really bad joke, or dare I actually agree with those saying that there is a bias against the plane, tree, or country.

Accuracy/Firepower - This aircraft's accuracy is absolutely atrocious in 1.4. I had to essentially be on top of an ME-410 to even remotely reliably hit it. Passes as is in 1.4 barely do any damage given the changes, on an already very short range for it's tier. Despite a weapons upgrade, that requires OVER 15000 experience points, the only way to get aircraft with matching or even slightly worse ratings (yet still better performance), is to literally take a Yak-1m, a spitfire, or a 109F to their bare bones stock weapons configurations. And as I said, these weapons still out perform because they actually hit a target. And these are the weapons you start with on these airplanes, they only get better. The mustang your now upgrading to be as good as or worse then every other plane in tier starts at.

Speed - Another thing that absolutely kills this is the changes in speed and seemingly energy saving. This thing, despite being more lightly armed, and lower firepower ratings, can be run down by Yak-1m's, and spitfires, especially given most every plane has a higher climb rate so regardless of boom and zoom, you lose a climbing fight and they can relatively match you in speed if you try and break in a straight line. add in weapon ranges of nearly 1000m and that even if you turn on them, they win now head to head, you might as well just stall the plane and let them end it. 

The P-51A and that whole line after might as well be re-shifted to be tier 5 on with 1.4's adjustments. The corsair has always seemed to have an edge on the tier 6 mustang counterpart. Now? There is no question. The corsair is clearly the better choice. Better speed at sea level, only 20 km/h slower at altitude with 4 20mm cannons, or matches speed with 6 guns that actually hit the target, better climb rate, better turning, more hitpoints. There is literally no reason to choose a 51A with the 1.4 changes unless you really, really want a P-51D, and at that point, I'd suggest just using a corsair to rack up free xp either the long way or with gold.

There is no need to nerf the other aircraft, their is no need to buff the P-51A - Simply leave this aircraft unchanged as it is in 1.3, and it is balanced, there was no need for any of these changes, unless the idea was to try and make the MK1 look better in which case all honesty, you still failed. 

Aces/Destroyer/Ace(post1.9)(#of/#) - A6M1(7/1), P-36(1), BF-109b(3), Ao-192(1), beaufighter(3/1), BF-109z(2), P-12(2), A6M2(3), P-51a(4), Yak-7(2), Bf-110C-6(2), F4F(2/4), Blenheim(2), BSH-2(1), XP-50(1),  BF-109f(1), LA-5(1), Spitfire I(2), P-40 M-105(3), BF-110e(1), F4U-1(1), FW-190 A-5(4), I-16e.(1), XF4F-3(1), A6M5(5), F7F(1), XF4U-1(1), Bf-109E (1), A7M (2), I-16l (1), P-38f (1), P-40 (1), Mig-3 (1)

cyberd1 #5 Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:05 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4007 battles

Just a question the UK line already had the M20 why didn't you add a premium heavy fighter? That would have made it so every nation and every tree had a plane for crew training.

"You can run but you'll only Die Tired"

Docsludge #6 Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:58 AM

Senior Airman

• 5753 battles

first time posting on test, 3rd time testing; took a long time to find the proper? place to report.

First log on, did not get the gold for first win, couldn't buy the premium craft to test.

Next time worked, took a while to get the first premium to test.

Third time, tested KI for a while. good craft, but the 2 on 2 and 3 on 3 sucks.

Limited possibilities on large maps with small parties.

Meet someone at map center and they blast you from above.

Low altitude and high altitude crafts should not be matched on 1 on 1 or 2 on 2

Much prefer the larger groups, at least like tier 3 when you usually get at least 8 on a team.

generally, finding a way to report opinions is a pain and not sure if this is the right place.

count me out on future tests unless you make it more responsive

not that you will miss me

Mercsn #7 Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:04 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 593 battles
  • [CLADS] CLADS

View PostWanderingGhost, on 24 May 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

Alright, now that I've had a chance to use all of them at least a little -

P-39 Q15 - 

So far a generally good solid plane. Could use a little help in turning but otherwise fine. Not sure how best to describe it, possibly what I'm experiencing is what Rain drops above me said, its nosing down in a turn. Regardless as is, it's a plane I would consider getting at it's tier.

Spitfire V DB 605 - 

This plane is absolutely perfect as is, no fine tuning required. The difference in speed and mobility is noticeable, though despite the slightly different flight characteristics, still in essence feels like a spitfire. I would absolutely purchase this plane on release as a German premium. A nice change up from the usual boom and zoom in it's lines with high firepower. 

Ki-88

Unlocked this plane a couple weeks back, The 20 hit points added in the 1.4 beta do help, but while I find this aircraft fun to fly, and again a nice change from it's line. I think it suffers from trying to be too many things. The firepower is reminiscent of the Russian upper tiers, durability of Japanese planes and German maneuvering and speed. This plane feels like it wants to boom and zoom, but not quite enough for it, or turn and burn, but not really capable. Weapon accuracy also leaves something to be desired as when it hits its devastating, but even with the 4th stage of the new reticule rounds from both the 37 and 20mm were missing targets. Great as a freebie, but to actually purchase, I'd lean toward 1 of 3 options. 1: Add a few more hitpoints still, it honestly can't hurt this too much in balance, perhaps give it the survivability it needs without being way too overpowered. 2: Give it a little more speed or energy retention to serve as a good boom and zoom aircraft. 3: increase it's mobility, make it a better turner then it is at the moment. That way at least it has the option to more easily dodge incoming fire. Any one of those 3 I think would help take this out of it's sort of point of mediocrity of not being terrible to fly, but not as great as it could be. However, I would choose only one of those, adding two could break the plane in the opposite direction and make it blatantly overpowered all things considered.

XP-50

Again, unlocked it, and I love it. This plane is perfectly fine as is and makes up for its lack of punch with its speed and mobility. I would recommend no changes at all at this point. It's a solid aircraft and fun to fly, no tinkering needed.

Mustang Mk I

This plane while generally enjoyable, does not feel suited for tier 6, let alone to deal with 7 and 8. While it's weapons are alright, this aircraft needs either a boost in it's speed or some help turning, one of the two. As is, it's underwhelming and loses out to pretty much every single premium of it's tier in 1 or more categories, let alone actual tier planes fully upgraded. I can understand making t's turning take a hit given it's weapons, but it at the very least needs some speed and all to find a good way to fight. At least be a decent boom and zoom plane as opposed to good vs tier 5 but sub par vs 6.

Which brings me to 

The P-51A nerf

I'm not sure what to make of this. This seems like either a really bad joke, or dare I actually agree with those saying that there is a bias against the plane, tree, or country.

Accuracy/Firepower - This aircraft's accuracy is absolutely atrocious in 1.4. I had to essentially be on top of an ME-410 to even remotely reliably hit it. Passes as is in 1.4 barely do any damage given the changes, on an already very short range for it's tier. Despite a weapons upgrade, that requires OVER 15000 experience points, the only way to get aircraft with matching or even slightly worse ratings (yet still better performance), is to literally take a Yak-1m, a spitfire, or a 109F to their bare bones stock weapons configurations. And as I said, these weapons still out perform because they actually hit a target. And these are the weapons you start with on these airplanes, they only get better. The mustang your now upgrading to be as good as or worse then every other plane in tier starts at.

Speed - Another thing that absolutely kills this is the changes in speed and seemingly energy saving. This thing, despite being more lightly armed, and lower firepower ratings, can be run down by Yak-1m's, and spitfires, especially given most every plane has a higher climb rate so regardless of boom and zoom, you lose a climbing fight and they can relatively match you in speed if you try and break in a straight line. add in weapon ranges of nearly 1000m and that even if you turn on them, they win now head to head, you might as well just stall the plane and let them end it. 

The P-51A and that whole line after might as well be re-shifted to be tier 5 on with 1.4's adjustments. The corsair has always seemed to have an edge on the tier 6 mustang counterpart. Now? There is no question. The corsair is clearly the better choice. Better speed at sea level, only 20 km/h slower at altitude with 4 20mm cannons, or matches speed with 6 guns that actually hit the target, better climb rate, better turning, more hitpoints. There is literally no reason to choose a 51A with the 1.4 changes unless you really, really want a P-51D, and at that point, I'd suggest just using a corsair to rack up free xp either the long way or with gold.

There is no need to nerf the other aircraft, their is no need to buff the P-51A - Simply leave this aircraft unchanged as it is in 1.3, and it is balanced, there was no need for any of these changes, unless the idea was to try and make the MK1 look better in which case all honesty, you still failed. 

This is really good info and evaluation.   Thank you.

Regarding the p-51a and corsair,  WG has gone back, forth, up, down, and sideways with how these planes perform within the overall game and compared to each other. The p-51a is earning adjustments by being over represented in battles count and w/r (hello, WG, Ao192??).  The corsair was an OP dual role BnZ, the it was UP BnZ.  Then its ground pounding was nerfed with boosted AA damage to fighters.  The mustang was a dog, then it was super OP altitude fighter, and has been earning "adjustments" ever since.

Maybe sometime before the game leaves Beta, WG will figure out what it wants these lines to do.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!)

To me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

GiN_nTonic #8 Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:39 AM

Captain

• 19118 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

I personally think the P-39 is a straight up bad premium.  I wouldn't keep this plane in my garage, let alone want to fly it.  That brings the soviet premium planes I like to 0 - when I happen to love all the others.

I know some complain about the Ki-88, but that plane truly is a great plane for what it does. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users