'Best' 109- series to keep ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

mizer67 #21 Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostWolfrum, on 21 May 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

I never said it had trouble killing, I said trouble killing 'fast'. Reducing your firepower increases your time on target, it is a compromise to make the plane better in overall handling so it is a known tradeoff.

I can average multiple kills in the 109E as well though it takes longer and sometimes when  you are trying to get someone off of another persons six, that time matters greatly. It all depends on what you intend to do. When I feel like heavy hunting and tail clearing I run it with full 20mm (so that way velocities match). Otherwise if I want to dogfight I strip it down and go high up. But if I am stuck with an IL or two to kill at the end it becomes quite the challenge with the reduced firepower.

-Wolf

My damage per game in the 109E is on par with or higher than heavily armed planes. The trick to killing quickly with the 109E lightly armed is to:

a.) Take them vertical and shoot at slower moving targets, so you can get more time on target (109 does this the best at tier V of any plane)

b.) Wait until you're inside of effective range to fire

c.) Use the mg disperson to your advantage

d.) As always, good use of throttle control

Many tier V and below light fighters die within one pass if you wait until you're close, then either bait them into turning laterally with a little blast of fire or anticipate their turn so you get a full hit box to shoot. Just like a Spitfire's eight machine guns evaporate a target within 400 meters, so will the 109.

With ILs at the end of the game, I've only rarely had one take more than 2 or 3 passes, and then only if RNG was not with me that game. The 15mm nose cannon helps greatly vs. an mg armed Spit. They are longer passes, and you need to use good throttle control, but it's not that hard to sit just out of tailgunner range or out of their arc and hose them down.

Edited by mizer67, 21 May 2014 - 04:35 PM.

TwistedKestrel #22 Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 286 battles
  • [KAIJU] KAIJU
I guess I should have elaborated. The BF109E when flying "heavy" is still reasonably agile. P-51s are maybe hard to deal with, but they always are. :P Spitfires and Zeros become one-pass BnZ targets.... I dunno. I just never felt a need for it to be more maneuverable than it is with wing cannons. Maybe I should upload a replay to show what I'm talking about? I'm not doing of very good job of making a case verbally.

GiN_nTonic #23 Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:24 PM

Captain

• 1993 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostCrayolaCrayon, on 18 May 2014 - 02:36 AM, said:

All of them.

109B = Best Plane

109E = Excellent Plane

109F = Fantastic Plane

109G = Great Plane

Seriously though they are all awesome planes.

The only one I dont agree with is the 109G.  In order to get the top firepower benefit of this plane, you have to sacrifice the entire reason we fly these 109's (imo), or choose a config that leaves you outgunned by most counterparts.  I wish we could install the 109E's in-wing cannons into both the F and G instead of gondola option that radically changes the flight characteristics.  I personally sold the 109G I disliked it so much - however the Me 209 was a nice re-bound to the line.

I believe in real life the 109G with the 30mm gondola cannons was primary used to chew up US/British bombers - not dogfight P-51s. 

Edited by GiNnTonic, 21 May 2014 - 10:30 PM.

Jiggiwatt #24 Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I adore the Franz. I run it with just the centreline guns and clean wings. At altitude, there is nothing of it's tier which can keep up with it, including the Mustang. I don't tend to get many kills with it per battle due to the lack of serious armament, but I can annoy the hell out of half a dozen enemy aircraft who keep trying to climb to my altitude. They stall, I chase them for 2000 feet and put a few holes in them and then back up to the stratosphere I go!
Nos morituri te salutamus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users