'Best' 109- series to keep ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Njanear #1 Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:06 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 173 battles

Is there one or two of the 109- series aircraft that is considered to be a 'must keep' in the typical hangar (as in being top of their tier in an OK (read: non-expert) player's hands)?    I have the 109B and the 109E and am quickly closing in on the 109F - I haven't yet learned all the secrets of BnZ so I do not have a 'favorite' yet.  Would it make sense to keep all 3 for the average player or is there simply a better BnZ for the respective tier that would let me give one up and not miss it?  I do realize that in the end, I am the only one that can make the call - I am just curious as to every 'OK' player's opinion (and even the feedback from the gurus). :honoring: 

Thanks in advance for all constructive feedback.  :)

The game's largest rammer magnet - I always seem to attract enemy planes to my engine. :facepalm:

IPlayWithAppleTree #2 Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:23 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 348 battles

A better BnZ I think would be the Fw 190s. But then you have to get to tier 5 to actually see what a 190 plays like. And then there is the lightning... I think.

But I consider keeping the 109s, just in case your bored.

CrayolaCrayon #3 Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

All of them.

109B = Best Plane

109E = Excellent Plane

109F = Fantastic Plane

109G = Great Plane

Seriously though they are all awesome planes.

IPlayWithAppleTree #4 Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:09 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 348 battles

Just a little joke:

The B in 109B stands for bacon. That's why it's so good.

TwistedKestrel #5 Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:25 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 286 battles
  • [KAIJU] KAIJU
I personally prefer the 109E over the 109B... When you're only facing planes your own tier, the 109B is hard to beat. However, I feel like the E stands up better than the B when you're forced to deal with planes above your tier.

IamJMan999 #6 Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:52 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9 battles

My list goes more like this...

109b = must keep

109e =  competitive and fun

109f = must keep

109g = competitive and fun

Mercsn #7 Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:01 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2993 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

I agree with the B and F models as keepers.   The F model has the fun advantage of being a great counter to the P-51a when not carrying the wing guns due to the fact that it's fast enough and can turn inside one while having equal or better altitude performance. 

The E is fun and one neat thing about the E is that I find myself constantly changing which guns I have equipped depending on if I'm in the mood for more speed and maneuvering or if I want a little more firepower/ range.  I think the E also has better energy retention. It just doesn't seem as fun in it's matches as the B model to me though, but others disagree.  YYMV, player preference, etc.

I never cared for the G.  It's just too sluggish compared to the others.  Which is a bit odd, considering it's built on the same airframe as the F model, with only a slightly heavier engine yet the exact same weapon loadout as the F yields much worse turn times and controllability in this plane is meh. 

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Heh #8 Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:23 AM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Obviously the 109B. It will smack practically everything it faces when top tier thanks to its high climb rate. Only the Buffalo, piloted like a true Finn, would be equal in stomping power.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

mizer67 #9 Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

The 109B is the best of the four for its tier. It's somewhat OP in its bracket and is basically on par with most Tier V's.

The 109E when armed lightly is still the best LF of tier V as well.

The 109F is fun, but when lightly armed doesn't have the guns to kill fast enough, particularly when down tier. When heavily armed, it is somewhat unforgiving as you give up just enough in maneuverability, speed and climb rate that if you make a mistake or encounter a well piloted Mustang, you're probably dead. It's a great plane for flights though, where you don't have to worry as much about escaping.

I never really liked the 109G in Beta. You need to be a good shot with the 30mm to do any real damage, heavily armed you're a sitting duck and it's very costly to get through all the upgrades.

If you're flying mainly solo, the obvious choice is the B, followed by an E lightly armed, but neither will be fun for you if you don't learn to BnZ quickly.

Edited by mizer67, 18 May 2014 - 02:07 PM.

Wesrin #10 Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 304 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

B and F, like those have said before, are keepers. I'd also say the Gustav is a keeper as well - with slick wings and the 30mm hub, it can chase down most other aircraft at it's tier - Mustangs included - and blow 'em out of the sky.

Really the E was the only one that never really thrilled me. The rest of them were fantastic.

Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

Carl_the_Cuttlefish #11 Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20 battles
I liked the F the best. I don't really remember the B though and I haven't played the G.

"It's about to get real inky in here!!!"

- Carl the Cuttlefish, the artist formerly known as S01836775, now in an all new user friendly format.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining in my posts 

And why do we balance???

Njanear #12 Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 173 battles

Thank you all for the feedback.  I am doing a little better with the B now while the E and I are having an 'on again, then off again' relationship. :)  I have accumulated a few slots with the mission and since more slots are only 100G this month, I will probably snag a few more and then get the F next week and see how things go over time.

I do have the FW190V and we are hitting it off pretty well - I guess I respond better to the horizontal BnZ vs. the vertical but I will keep trying.

Thanks again for the support.

The game's largest rammer magnet - I always seem to attract enemy planes to my engine. :facepalm:

Wolfrum #13 Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

I personally feel the Bruno (109B) is the best of all the 109 Series. It really is the first to show how a High Altitude Fighter is to perform.

That being said, I cannot imagine ever selling any of them. All the series (once you figure out how you want to equip them) are top performers for what they do.

If you are limited in hanger space, than the 109B and 109E should be your keepers in terms of credit earning potential.

-Wolf

A veteran is someone who at some point wrote a cheque to their country that was 'up to and including my life'

TwistedKestrel #14 Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 286 battles
  • [KAIJU] KAIJU
I am actually shocked to see that people fly the 109E with light armament!

Wolfrum #15 Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostTwistedKestrel, on 18 May 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

I am actually shocked to see that people fly the 109E with light armament!

Nothing wrong running the 109E light, it makes it faster in the climb and very agile along with amazing vertical performance. In the right hands, while you cannot kill fast you can tie up a better aircraft and basically make a massive pain to the enemy team.

Plus, its best for fishing out all those who want to chase.

-Wolf

A veteran is someone who at some point wrote a cheque to their country that was 'up to and including my life'

mizer67 #16 Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:07 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostWolfrum, on 18 May 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

Nothing wrong running the 109E light, it makes it faster in the climb and very agile along with amazing vertical performance. In the right hands, while you cannot kill fast you can tie up a better aircraft and basically make a massive pain to the enemy team.

Plus, its best for fishing out all those who want to chase.

-Wolf

I never had trouble killing in the 109E, averaging almost 3.5 kills/game.

While most of that was in 1.0, it's really easy to kill anything in the 109E with the altitude bands stalling everyone out. Climb, wait for them to stall; kill a stationary target. Plus the machine guns are closely matched in velocity with the 15mm nose cannon, which always makes for a more effective fighter.

WanderingGhost #17 Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Well, I haven't gotten to fly the G much, given I just got it and honestly, until I can get to a point (hopefully what I'm seeing 1.4 patch notes) where I'm not being tossed at tier 9 planes I don't stand a chance against fully upgraded, is just collecting dust so can't say anything on that.

Despite being 1 of the 2 109 model's I have an ace in, The F model didn't really thrill me to death. It's good, but I haven't figured out running it light armed, and heavy, well, everything can beat you in speed and mobility. But those 20mm cannons can eat away some health.

That being said, it's a bit of a toss between the B and E.

On the one hand, I'm not a great pilot and have two ace medals in the 109B, It's a solid plane and great at it's tier. It could probably be argued that given it's fire power and performance it and the zero are probably the two most lethal planes in the tier, least thats my opinion.

That being said, The E I also feel is almost the pinnacle of the 109 line. It's almost like a 109B with the firepower of a F, speaking in terms of number of weapons and caliber. It was honestly a blast to fly and while I sold it due to lack of room for the F at the time, I re-bought it once I got hanger slots off the monthly challenges and all. Personally, I'd try and get the extra slot, but then again unless I despised a plane, I usually try and keep it.

Aces/Destroyer/Ace(post1.9)(#of/#) - A6M1(7/1), P-36(1), BF-109b(3), Ao-192(1), beaufighter(3/1), BF-109z(2), P-12(2), A6M2(3), P-51a(4), Yak-7(2), Bf-110C-6(2), F4F(2/4), Blenheim(2), BSH-2(1), XP-50(1),  BF-109f(1), LA-5(1), Spitfire I(2), P-40 M-105(3), BF-110e(1), F4U-1(1), FW-190 A-5(4), I-16e.(1), XF4F-3(1), A6M5(5), F7F(1), XF4U-1(1), Bf-109E (1), A7M (2), I-16l (1), P-38f (1), P-40 (1), Mig-3 (1)

Njanear #18 Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:35 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 173 battles
WanderingG - thanks for your feedback too.  I have kept the B and am feeling the E out now.  By the weekend, I will have an F to try too.  I maxed out on my free slots and then bought a bunch more, so I won't be in a rush to drop any of them until I get a good feel for how they work.  :)

Toggle #19 Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:55 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 4696 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostCrayolaCrayon, on 18 May 2014 - 02:36 AM, said:

All of them.

109B = Best Plane

109E = Excellent Plane

109F = Fantastic Plane

109G = Great Plane

Seriously though they are all awesome planes.

That's a fact!

Wolfrum #20 Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postmizer67, on 18 May 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

I never had trouble killing in the 109E, averaging almost 3.5 kills/game.

While most of that was in 1.0, it's really easy to kill anything in the 109E with the altitude bands stalling everyone out. Climb, wait for them to stall; kill a stationary target. Plus the machine guns are closely matched in velocity with the 15mm nose cannon, which always makes for a more effective fighter.

I never said it had trouble killing, I said trouble killing 'fast'. Reducing your firepower increases your time on target, it is a compromise to make the plane better in overall handling so it is a known tradeoff.

I can average multiple kills in the 109E as well though it takes longer and sometimes when  you are trying to get someone off of another persons six, that time matters greatly. It all depends on what you intend to do. When I feel like heavy hunting and tail clearing I run it with full 20mm (so that way velocities match). Otherwise if I want to dogfight I strip it down and go high up. But if I am stuck with an IL or two to kill at the end it becomes quite the challenge with the reduced firepower.

-Wolf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users