Jump to content


Two really necessary things that are missing in the game.

wingman squad system wingmen aim assistant joystick gamepad

  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Zaifer #1 Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

    Senior Airman

  • Member
  • 3 battles
  • 27
  • Member since:
    02-21-2014

Hi everybody!

 

I was thinking about some things that are missing in the game and that would make it a lot more complete and fun.

 

First: I think this game needs a system in which you can mark up to 2 teammates as your wingmen once you're already in a flight. This will organize better the team and u'll be able to follow or be followed by someone. Now this can happen via invitations during the battle's count-in (I mean, while the planes aren't moving yet). I know you can always team up before battle, but the quantity of people who team up is really low in comparison to those who don't so I think this would be an excellent option so create squads right before starting to fight in order to organize things better.

 

Second: I've noticed that everybody complains about low accuracy when using a joystick or gamepad, and I have to agree that mouse & keyboard pilots have a great advantage in comparison to those who use gamepad or joystick in terms of accuracy, so my suggestion is to add an aim assistant when players use these last devices. It could work by locking your crosshair to the enemy target if you're able to put it and matain it really close to the target (And by "really close" I mean a matter of milimeters). Also, another criteria could be the angle and position of your airplane, I mean, if you manage to overlap your crosshair with your target but your plane's not in a good shooting angle then the crosshair would never lock. 

I think this would balance things a bit taking into account that when you use a mouse all you have to do is to matain your cursor right on your target and your plane will do the rest.

 

What do you think about my suggestions? Am I asking too much?

 

Peace!


Edited by Zaifer, 11 May 2014 - 04:50 PM.


CrayolaCrayon #2 Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 1,684
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

View PostZaifer, on 11 May 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

First: I think this game needs a system in which you can mark up to 2 teammates as your wingmen once you're already in a flight. This will organize better the team and u'll be able to follow or be followed by someone. Now this can happen via invitations during the battle's count-in (I mean, while the planes aren't moving yet). I know you can always team up before battle, but the quantity of people who team up is really low in comparison to those who don't so I think this would be an excellent option so create squads right before starting to fight in order to organize things better.

 

Battlefield 1942 had a nice feature where anyone that was on your buddy list was bright green on the mini map.



BrushWolf #3 Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

    Major

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • 5,907
  • [GWG] GWG
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012

1) I would say that if you want to flight you should do it before.

2) Joystick users have always had a harder time in shooting but their increased flying ability more than made up for that. Once the aim bug is squashed things will be back on a more even playing field.


I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

                             

 

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

 


GeorgePatton #4 Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

    газета

  • -Community Ace-
  • 1709 battles
  • 5,551
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD
  • Member since:
    10-18-2011

I would prefer that they just make joysticks able to work properly. There is really no excuse for such horrible implementation.

 

 

Cheers!
Glenn


                                                                                                                                 Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.


SkywhaleExpress #5 Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

    noob leader

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • 10,731
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    09-09-2012

View PostBrushWolf, on 11 May 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

1) I would say that if you want to flight you should do it before.

2) Joystick users have always had a harder time in shooting but their increased flying ability more than made up for that. Once the aim bug is squashed things will be back on a more even playing field.

Increased flying POTENTIAL. If you ever see Phrap flying with a mouse, you'd swear he was a joystick user, but the mouse aim is evident.

 

Anyobe who knows how to set yaw and roll to their keyboard or gaming mouse buttons will be able to maneuver just as well as a joystick user when needed , yet retain the easy mouse aim and autonegotiated turning 



Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear


CrayolaCrayon #6 Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 1,684
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

View PostGeorgePatton, on 11 May 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

I would prefer that they just make joysticks able to work properly. There is really no excuse for such horrible implementation.

 

 

Cheers!
Glenn


If they do anything with joysticks I sure hope they don't touch the default settings. I do quite nicely with them the way they are.



209 #7 Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • 571
  • Member since:
    02-20-2013
CrayolaCrayon stick user 90% victories/battle ratio. MaxSkelter stick user 77% victories/ battle ratio. I think that you stick users that are complaining need to fine tune your settings better. These gentlemen are not complaining about their sticks. Just like CrayolaCrayon just stated he does quite nicely  the way it is LOL

BrushWolf #8 Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

    Major

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • 5,907
  • [GWG] GWG
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012

View PostRocketSpammer1, on 11 May 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

Increased flying POTENTIAL. If you ever see Phrap flying with a mouse, you'd swear he was a joystick user, but the mouse aim is evident.

 

Anyobe who knows how to set yaw and roll to their keyboard or gaming mouse buttons will be able to maneuver just as well as a joystick user when needed , yet retain the easy mouse aim and autonegotiated turning 

 

I was talking in general. The very best will still be the very best no matter what control system they use. I consider myself to be average, 54% win, with flashes of brilliance but If I run into one of the top mouse players I am as good as dead unless I have one of my flashes and it better be a damned good one. Now I feel that against a mouse user of equal ability to myself that I would win.

 


I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

                             

 

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

 


Tuesdaysgone #9 Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles
  • 803
  • Member since:
    02-29-2012
Crayon, had 5 kills the other day in a 262, I don't think I've even killed him,  simply and most likely the best in this game,  my 2 cents, though,  I too, use the the 3d "pro",  never will have 90% win rate.


"Virgil Caine is my name, and I served on the Danville train"
Not Scared to play SOLO!

BrushWolf #10 Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

    Major

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • 5,907
  • [GWG] GWG
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012

View PostTuesdaysgone, on 11 May 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

Crayon, had 5 kills the other day in a 262, I don't think I've even killed him,  simply and most likely the best in this game,  my 2 cents, though,  I too, use the the 3d "pro",  never will have 90% win rate.

 

Crayola and others are one of the major reasons there are so few that play the top tiers. They are just too damned good, they are sharks and the rest of us are prey.

 

There is something else the game needs that might help quiet the people that are always crying hax. A detail of what damage you took, particularly crits.


I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

                             

 

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

 


GeorgePatton #11 Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

    газета

  • -Community Ace-
  • 1709 battles
  • 5,551
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD
  • Member since:
    10-18-2011

It is possible to get good with a joystick... It takes a lot of practice or a special talent that most people don't have. Every other flight game I've played with a joystick, the controls are precise, and make your aircraft do exactly what you want it to. Just like the mouse mode in WoWP currently does. If you use the mouse mode that isn't like World of Tanks, you can easily beat a joystick player. World of Tanks style mouse, not so much as it is difficult to perform certain maneuvers.

 

I have a HOTAS Warthog stick, which at the time of purchase had one of the highest (if not THE highest) resolutions available on a joystick, I saw a massive improvement in my flight abilities in other flight games... In WoWP, it made absolutely no difference. There is obviously something in the controls scheme in WoWP that is making joysticks not work properly.

 

 

Cheers!
Glenn


                                                                                                                                 Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.


_HeatSeeker_ #12 Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 438
  • Member since:
    09-14-2012

Ok first let me say I am not trying to flame or insult the OP, And I have nothing against joystick users. I have used a joystick but I started off with a mouse and thats what I'm comfortable with. But...

I'm getting a little tired of hearing this same old line...

Block Quote

 I think this would balance things a bit taking into account that when you use a mouse all you have to do is to matain your cursor right on your target and your plane will do the rest.

 
While it is true with the mouse you put the curser on the target to initiate an attack it does not "fly" the plane for you.
I use mouse and I fly my plane, I use roll, pitch, yaw, throttle, flaps,trigger and airbrake.
simply pointing the curser at the target and the plane does the rest is a totally false statement.
And from my experience a mouse and keyboards accuracy isn't that much better than a joysticks.

 
I wish this were true. My win rate would probably be through the roof.:teethhappy:

 

And I have to ask,
If joysticks are so bad, why do some of the top players use them?

Both control methods have their pros and cons its up to the players skill to make up the difference.

 

Again, Zaifer...I'm not trying to flame or insult you or troll this post.

I just needed to get this off my chest.

 

 

HS:honoring:

 

 
 



BrushWolf #13 Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:14 PM

    Major

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • 5,907
  • [GWG] GWG
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012

View Post_HeatSeeker_, on 11 May 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

Ok first let me say I am not trying to flame or insult the OP, And I have nothing against joystick users. I have used a joystick but I started off with a mouse and thats what I'm comfortable with. But...

I'm getting a little tired of hearing this same old line...

 
While it is true with the mouse you put the curser on the target to initiate an attack it does not "fly" the plane for you.
I use mouse and I fly my plane, I use roll, pitch, yaw, throttle, flaps,trigger and airbrake.
simply pointing the curser at the target and the plane does the rest is a totally false statement.
And from my experience a mouse and keyboards accuracy isn't that much better than a joysticks.

 
I wish this were true. My win rate would probably be through the roof.:teethhappy:

 

And I have to ask,
If joysticks are so bad, why do some of the top players use them?

Both control methods have their pros and cons its up to the players skill to make up the difference.

 

Again, Zaifer...I'm not trying to flame or insult you or troll this post.

I just needed to get this off my chest.

 

 

HS:honoring:

 

 
 

 

For shooting purposes you are flying the cursor, it does make a difference.  I do think the op thinks mouse flight helps more than it really does.


I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

                             

 

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

 


209 #14 Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • 571
  • Member since:
    02-20-2013
MaxSkelter Stick User, 340 flights, 77%victories/battle ratio, 54 Aces and 2 Gorovet medals. Just like I said already you stick users need to go back and fine tune your stick settings and stop with the mouse bashing. If you can't beat them then get yourself a good keyboard and mouse.

BrushWolf #15 Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:30 PM

    Major

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • 5,907
  • [GWG] GWG
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012

View Post209, on 11 May 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

MaxSkelter Stick User, 340 flights, 77%victories/battle ratio, 54 Aces and 2 Gorovet medals. Just like I said already you stick users need to go back and fine tune your stick settings and stop with the mouse bashing. If you can't beat them then get yourself a good keyboard and mouse.

 

Ok, I have tried to find the threads with joystick setup but my search foo is lacking. Can you point out a recent one?

 

edit: I finally found Doc Sinister's posting. http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/14119-crash-course-on-new-axes-graphs-for-joysticks/ It needs to be sticked again. Oddly the search that worked was just putting in joystick. Putting in settings or profile with joystick would hit on them instead of joystick.


Edited by BrushWolf, 12 May 2014 - 12:42 AM.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

                             

 

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

 


GeorgePatton #16 Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:19 AM

    газета

  • -Community Ace-
  • 1709 battles
  • 5,551
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD
  • Member since:
    10-18-2011

View Post209, on 11 May 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

MaxSkelter Stick User, 340 flights, 77%victories/battle ratio, 54 Aces and 2 Gorovet medals. Just like I said already you stick users need to go back and fine tune your stick settings and stop with the mouse bashing. If you can't beat them then get yourself a good keyboard and mouse.

 

I did get myself a mouse, and I spent the time adjusting to it. I still play every other flight game with my joystick, but when I come back to WoWP with a joystick I cannot fly.

 

Some people say that I should just 'take the time' to set my joystick up... I have NEVER done this for any other flight game or simulator. I shouldn't have to do that in a game that touts itself as ready to go right out of the box for your average game with no flight sim/game experience. If anything, I should expect better plug-n-play support from WoWP than my other flight games that have manuals that came with them.

 

 

Cheers!
Glenn


                                                                                                                                 Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.


BrushWolf #17 Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

    Major

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • 5,907
  • [GWG] GWG
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012

View PostGeorgePatton, on 11 May 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

 

I did get myself a mouse, and I spent the time adjusting to it. I still play every other flight game with my joystick, but when I come back to WoWP with a joystick I cannot fly.

 

Some people say that I should just 'take the time' to set my joystick up... I have NEVER done this for any other flight game or simulator. I shouldn't have to do that in a game that touts itself as ready to go right out of the box for your average game with no flight sim/game experience. If anything, I should expect better plug-n-play support from WoWP than my other flight games that have manuals that came with them.

 

 

Cheers!
Glenn

 

I am a trackball user so mouse flight does not work well for me. Unless someone comes out with a really good trackball that equals my Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman I will be forced to get a mouse because it will not last forever.


I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

                             

 

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

 


MaxSkelter #18 Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 105
  • [SICK] SICK
  • Member since:
    04-26-2014

View Post209, on 11 May 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

MaxSkelter Stick User, 340 flights, 77%victories/battle ratio, 54 Aces and 2 Gorovet medals. Just like I said already you stick users need to go back and fine tune your stick settings and stop with the mouse bashing. If you can't beat them then get yourself a good keyboard and mouse.

Hello All,

 

Foremost, Thank you 209 for the compliments on my stats and joystick capability.  I believe my successes with the joystick, are not necessarily the successful personal manipulation or mastery of the joystick by the user per-se, I am more convinced it’s the quality of the joystick in its self. I use a joystick that is about 10 years old, and in this particular case, older is better, we all have heard the saying “they don’t make it like they used too”, well, I’m here to tell you the Microsoft Force Feedback II is my ultimate favorite. Now, don’t be fooled or believe the power of this joystick comes from the “Force Feedback Feature” it doesn’t apply to World of Warplanes (WOWP).

 

What makes this joystick special is the benefit of negative push resistance to your positive applied force. Confused? Basically the amount of pressure I apply to the joystick the powered force of the Joystick equally applies resistance to my applied manipulation of the joystick, a push and pull effect on an even keel, this reaction produces a steady aim, I am able to keep my targeting reticle on target and still have the maneuverability positives a joystick provides.

Now, this joystick i.e. Microsoft Force feedback II is no longer produced, But there are used ones, maybe a few news ones still available online, Amazon etc. Click on link below. To add this Joystick is sturdy, you can feel the quality of this joystick, drivers aren’t a problem for windows users, and the in-game set up, via Standard configuration is optimal, basically no Headaches.

 

I would also like to add, sometimes people make situations more difficult than it needs to be, the problem with joysticks, or mouse’s, or whatever your peripheral device maybe, it’s not the control, maybe the problem lies within the player itself.

 

Not everyone is good at every game. I love football, I have played football, but, I’m no pro football player. Maybe your gaming experience with WOWP is not your cup of tea.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Force-Feedback-Joystick/dp/B00005NIMB

 

Respectfully,

 

MaxSkelter 


Edited by MaxSkelter, 15 May 2014 - 06:39 PM.

 


BrushWolf #19 Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:16 PM

    Major

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • 5,907
  • [GWG] GWG
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012

View PostCrayolaCrayon, on 11 May 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:


If they do anything with joysticks I sure hope they don't touch the default settings. I do quite nicely with them the way they are.

 

What I would like to see in any game that supports joysticks would be three default profiles to chose from. A neutral one with very benign non-twitchy one, a middle of the road more responsive one, and an extremely responsive one, this would give players a good base to fine tune from. Mice and game pads should have similar options.


I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

                             

 

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

 


Cuesta_Rey #20 Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:23 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 2 battles
  • 1,110
  • [VULCN] VULCN
  • Member since:
    02-16-2014

View PostBrushWolf, on 15 May 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

 

What I would like to see in any game that supports joysticks would be three default profiles to chose from. A neutral one with very benign non-twitchy one, a middle of the road more responsive one, and an extremely responsive one, this would give players a good base to fine tune from. Mice and game pads should have similar options.


First, am not a joystick user because I didn't start that way and didn't want to go through another learning curve like was evident even in using a mouse. But I thought the various curves and the adjustable nature of those curves are what give the pilot fine tuning of control input into the joystick on the three axis. Am I wrong about this?

The curves look very familiar to me because of my involvement in R/C flying. Our radio transmitters have the same curve adjustments one must make to either make the sticks more or less sensitive to control input.

What seems unorthodox to me about a joystick is the rudder control. It's very counter intuitive for the rudder to be a "twist" of the stick. As you know if you're a joystick user, rudder control is imperative for guiding the ship and putting guns on target. Would feel much more natural if the rudder was actually controlled using pedals, but I suppose that's asking for just too much. Or maybe there is actually such a device and I am unaware of it?







Also tagged with wingman, squad, system, wingmen, aim, assistant, joystick, gamepad

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users