What Do We, the Community Want?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

GeorgePatton #1 Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:27 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1609 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

I've been seeing a lot of dissatisfaction with the game recently, and thought I'd pose a question... What do we, the WoWP community in the NA region actually want from the game? Opinions on this topic are vary wildly, so I thought it would be interesting to make a thread here and see what happens.

Rules:

1. Be polite.
  2. State your opinions, be open to constructive criticism.
  3. +1 the ideas you agree with.
  4. -1 the ideas you don't agree with.
  5. No spam.

So, with that out of the way... Here's my wishlist..

• Polished Aluminum Skin for my P-51D.
  • GOOD joystick support. By this, I mean I want precision. I hate having to 'sweep' where I want to shoot, and having to continually 'get ahead' of my target, fire, and play catch-up. The joystick currently just isn't accurate enough to hold a lead.
  • Faster Roll Rates.
  • Better sense of speed.
  • Removal of altitude compression.
  • Return of 'Wargaming Takes to the Skies'.
  • Better climb performance across the board.
  • More premium aircraft. (Tiers 6+ preferable)

So, that is my list off the top of my head. Please contribute yours in the thread! Don't forget to give a +1 to the ideas you support! At the end of 2 weeks, I'm going to compile a list of all the ideas that got a lot of support and create a poll to see which ideas the community really really wants to see!

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

Angadan #2 Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

I'd like a beer.

Oh, I see, you're serious, GeorgePatton!  Okay, what I'd like from the game:

(1) More variety in tasks/quests/assignments within the battle.  "Shoot down enemy birds" and "plink ground targets" are great, but very generic.  I'd love to see a "marshall your forces and take out the Bridge over the Rhine.  This sucker was built by the Romans, followed by the Visigoths, followed by the Second Reich, followed by the Third.  It has layer upon layer of structure, and that equates to 500,000 Hit Points.  You must destroy it and be away before sunrise, which means you'll need to take spotter planes dropping flares so the bombers can see.  And you'll definitely need a couple of flights flying cap, because the enemy fighters will respond in droves.  Good luck!"

(2) And a beer, please.

l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!

Go Vols!

FullMetal_Inferno #3 Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:23 PM

Master Sergeant

• 24 battles

I know I shouldn't be complaining (the U.S. just got a new line), but I would really like to see the B-17 Flying Fortress.

Apart from that:

• Better graphics (they aren't bad, but you can always improve on it)
  • I would like to see the stat changes for using equipment instead of having to arm myself with a calculator
  • Better plane collision models
  • More intense stalls
  • Camera effects (or something of the sort) to show you are flying fast

The benefits of experience often outweigh the benefits of winning.

GeorgePatton #4 Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:35 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1609 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

View PostFullMetal_Inferno, on 03 May 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

I know I shouldn't be complaining (the U.S. just got a new line), but I would really like to see the B-17 Flying Fortress.

Apart from that:

• Better graphics (they aren't bad, but you can always improve on it)
  • I would like to see the stat changes for using equipment instead of having to arm myself with a calculator
  • Better plane collision models
  • More intense stalls
  • Camera effects (or something of the sort) to show you are flying fast

Interesting requests... I've heard your last one a few times; is there reason you would prefer camera effects to an actual increase in speed? I personally would like to see the aircraft actually get a boost in speed which would mean we could use terrain better, etc.

By 'more intense stalls' do you mean harder to recover from? Or do you mean you want your stalls to break more abruptly instead of just hanging there and sort of 'mushing' over?

According to the last known report on heavy bombers, they will be added to the game at some time, but not as player controlled. Not sure if this will still happen or not though. (Was over a year ago...)

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

F16SkyPilot #5 Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 6568 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

My wish list:

• Better joystick support. I too have to 'sweep' to hit a target, and find it difficult to hold a lead.
  • Keep reticle in view when using camera to scan area using a joystick.
  • Match Maker (MM) to only support 1 Tier, from Tiers l to Vll, combine Tiers Vlll, lX, and X.
  • Tier Vlll, lX, and X premium planes.
  • Better team work once battle starts.
  • Elimination of head-on collisions! :child:
  • Extend 'Supremacy', sometimes too short! :facepalm:

And with that said, to the skies!

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself."

FullMetal_Inferno #6 Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:48 PM

Master Sergeant

• 24 battles

A little bit of both for the speed. I sometimes end up going a good 300 mph in the P-51 and it doesn't really seem that fast when you fly over buildings. It's the sort of thing where you know you're going fast, but it doesn't quite feel like it :amazed:

In terms of stalling, I meant harder to recover from. I see people regularly stalling everyday with little consequence. Yeah I've seen a few Japanese planes stall and get ripped to shreds, but I feel like it should be more slightly more dangerous 

The benefits of experience often outweigh the benefits of winning.

Heh #7 Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:54 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

I think you probably heard these complaints before:

- Server-side flight. I ask for this too much, and it's obviously not gonna happen, but make at least flight control input client-side. Ping is basically the key denominator between hitting most of your shots or basically struggling to even get 40% in. Yes, I indeed complain a lot about it, but having played several flight games before, you need the best response you can get. With server-side harming said response, it will turn off a ton of players. Nearly turned me off completely when I first played, and I'm usually an open guy.

- Lessened dispersion or none at all. It has no place in a realistic standpoint and it has no place in a gameplay standpoint. It's there only to make people bang their heads in anger.

- Increase the effectiveness of sky whales. Ever since some time in CBT, the sky whales are on the nerf train to Useless Station, -20 Redundancy Drive. It's mainly a dispersion issue, but some stats need some working on, such as overheat on some guns and maybe a hint of extra mobility.

- The official return of first person view. I know, DrSinister fixed that problem, but make it standard like before. It's literally the perfect view for a significant amount of players, and really helps you know how to pull up at the last second, thus improving attack runs and reducing collisions. Loads of people love that view, and I want it back.

- P.1099B as tier 8 premium. We all know the true first skorca, The one that really had that skorca look, and made me consider that all HFs are skorcas back when there was only the German HF line available. It would be equipped with the stock engine though. However, this beauty needs to come back. Really I love it to bits pls retern. :ccc

- Old novelty aircraft from before become prem planes. Remember the JP? Remember the J4M? Remember the Me 609? Remember the La-150 flying leech? Why not get those back in as prems? Modify the stats to intermediate level or so, but please get those back in. It means a lot, and would spark a quick prem plane income for WoWP without much effort provided that WG kept the stats and models well in their archives.

- No plane stereotyping. Have you seen the nation planes? The planes don't perform like you think they should. Just look at the J7W1 and A7M. These two planes were equipped with turbochargers and specifically designed to hunt down high-flying B-29s. Yet they're considered low alt turnfighters because of the A6M2 doctrine. Make sure that the planes actually do the approximate role they actually had IRL. We already have the famous Porshe line that went from slow armored Tiger P to agile and papery 4502A to armored Maus Jr 4502 to Maus in WoT, so coherence arguments aren't that valid. There's also the difference between the Swift and the typical playstyle of the UK fighter line.

- Rework of the 262. Widely considered to be the main sealclubbing plane, the 262 is simply not fitting in. Like I said before, remove the HWK engine, make the BMW 003 the stock engine (that was the intended engine since the 262 prototype), make the 004A have 13-15 second boost, make the 004B have 18-20 second boost, all while buffing those engines if needed and even increasing their cooldown times if needed (it's also historical due to how the 262 pilots really had to be masters of engine heat management). The 262 will still be helluva competitive, but it won't be soaring to the moon for so long.

- Remove or massively expand altitude bands. Yes, Glenn mentioned that. However, the reason is that high altitude aircraft have an advantage as they can dive on a target, then their climb back up to altitude actually improves their performance in general while providing the opposite effect for a low alt fighter. Yes, it was something in WWII, but the altitude bands are too compressed. Expand them massively or remove them. No other options here. That and expand the flight ceiling.

- Canyon maze maps. If we're going to leave the altitude bands, at least provide a map in which the low alt fighters will laugh like maniacs. A canyon maze or any other kind of maze is perfect for this. P-51H diving on you? No problem, take a turn and be left be for a while. It will obviously be pure fiction, but come on. Add a few tunnels into the mix as well.

- Low visibility maps. Now that actually existed. Eastern front and all. There were so many clouds that 109Fs couldn't target the Yak-1s from above and Stukas couldn't see their target. Let's make low alt interesting again. There's already a map like that (I know how it looks like, but being away from WoWP for so long made me forget), but just making you fly through a fog covering sea level until a specific altitude would be fun. In order to not make WoWP dull, we have to challenge all the plane classes. Currently it's high alt season, but this will make La-5s a hard treat. This will probably cause lag, so it's up to WG to optimize the game more (even though the game engine is still outdated and so will be iffy with multiple cores and multithreading). I swear that this WILL make WoWP a lot more attractive if done successfully. Night maps work too.

And that's all I could think of for now. I'll probably get some more later. This game is just overflowing with potential, yet look at how it stands.

Edited by Heh, 03 May 2014 - 11:55 PM.

Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

Namelsshero #8 Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:26 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

Well, I really think WG did a fine job with the recent update.

They really made the sounds better and the colors a lot mote vibrant. Good job

But, Sadly you failed to improve the paint shop...NO UPDATES...NO NEW COLOR SCHEMES..NOTHING 

you improved the color tone for the entire game yet,  gave us nothing to show it off with. Why is that?

So, I guess the only thing I would like is an improved paint shop.

Mercsn #9 Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:30 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

I want WG to care about what the community wants.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

SkywhaleExpress #10 Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:43 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

1. Remove nation-centric altitude bands.

2. Correct the horsepower ratings, climb and boost data to be more historically accurate, wherever possible.

3. Return Heavy Fighters like the Bf-110 to their original strafing, dive attack styles. I'm sorry, but they didn't climb at 6,000+ ft./min (110's).

4. In-nerf Russian Attack Aircraft speed and pitch/stall. 

5. Un-nerf the speed of Corsairs. They're ~5% slower than historical values. 

6. The Mustangs are ~11% faster than historical. Bring their 20mm cannons back (51A) and bring their speed and energy back in check.

7. Eliminate dispersion and introduce more realistic weapon CONVERGEANCE.and drop off values. 

8. COCKPIT VIEW. Hands down, not that many people want to play a flight game without being able to have the option to feel like they're in the cockpit.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

SkywhaleExpress #11 Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:59 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
@Heh. The problem with the 262s, isn't the plane.. But rather that they for whatever silly reason chose to put them in as heavy fighters, filled with 35 second boosts.. And slower turning.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

Mercsn #12 Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:33 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostF16SkyPilot, on 03 May 2014 - 06:37 PM, said:

My wish list:

• Better joystick support. I too have to 'sweep' to hit a target, and find it difficult to hold a lead.
  • Keep reticle in view when using camera to scan area using a joystick.
  • Match Maker (MM) to only support 1 Tier, from Tiers l to Vll, combine Tiers Vlll, lX, and X.
  • Tier Vlll, lX, and X premium planes.
  • Better team work once battle starts.
  • Elimination of head-on collisions! :child:
  • Extend 'Supremacy', sometimes too short! :facepalm:

And with that said, to the skies!

I'm not going to neg anything per GP's rules in the OP, but I will examine this post to show why WG doesn't listen to player concerns.  Most are absurd or completely unfeasible.

There's not enough population to support a 1 tier MM setup.  WG won't go with a 1 tier MM setup because it would remove the "push" to tier up by removing the concept of top tier/ bottom tier.  This would hurt WG income.  Won't happen.  (Tier VIII is already lumped in with tier IX and X.)

Tier VIII premiums...maybe.  Tier IX and X?  Again, back to population.  The population is too small in those tiers.  WG can't put premiums in until the population of certain tiers reaches a tipping point that makes premiums of a higher tier not "pay to win".  In other words, if tier VI is currently the highest tier that normally fills its matches to 15 v 15, then a tier VIII premium will end up getting dumped into tier VI or tier VII matches thereby giving the player who straight up paid for his machine an advantage over someone who didn't.  This is fine for the person who likes to spend money, but bad for the game's rep as not pay to win (unlike the other game which has certain p2w elements like maxed out premiums).  Won't happen until the population tiers up sufficiently.

Better team work once battle starts.  Well, players actually could be pushed and prodded into better teamwork if the missions and special events were teamwork based.  Currently reported as too difficult or complex for the missions and events system (shame on you Mugseh_!).  Won't happen soon. 

This could also be possible if the maps had tactical objectives that gave players the opportunity to do things as a team other than fly straight at the enemy team.   Too complex for the map design team and against WG's ethos of mindless shooter.  Won't happen.

Head on collisions:  The game already has a feature to turn off head-on collisions.  It's found under the "Don't fly straight at the enemy, trying to get the kill before you collide" menu. Simply check the box that says "evade earlier to circle around on the potential rammer" and there you go, no more head on collisions.

Supremacy was shortened because WG is too lazy to properly integrate WG into the game (goes along with no tactical objectives on the maps).  So, with an extended supremacy timer, the GA become even less relevant to battle.  Won't (and shouldn't) happen until they implement tactical objectives on the maps.

Granted, the player states this is a WISH list and there's nothing wrong with wishing, but throwing out stuff that's impractical, bad for gameplay, bad for balance, or just against what the dev will do is just food for the trolls SerB WG naysayers who say players don't have good ideas.  I was further going to add that it might clutter up the thread and help bury and good, practical ideas...then I realized that doesn't matter because WG doesn't care what we think.   If it's a good idea, they already thought of it and it's in the pipeline.  Or, at least that's the official company statement regarding such.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

xQuietx #13 Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:05 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [SF] SF

Many of these have already been said but...

1. Restore planes to be closer to their historical abilities. Balance them by tier, not by nerfing/buffing them. P51 and Corsairs are just two examples.

2. Incorporate the idea of optimal speed for turns - some planes could turn much faster slow, others much faster fast.

3. Expand the altitude - I realize this was to bring the fight together - the GA planes will help a lot with that.

4. Make GA planes more useful in a group - don't encourage them from the beginning to sneak in - teach them there is support in numbers, and make them useful.

5. At the same time, put limits on the superiority rate so that an initial advantages doesn't end the fight too soon.

6. Much better training - I have talked about this in other topics - programmable bots, user programmable bots, smarter bots.

7. With better training - have a limited single player mode than can give people a way to advance very slowly without having to deal with people. And I do mean VERY slowly.

8. Have maps  channel the fight into fewer areas - strategic. GTs all over the place mean it is stealth, not tactics. If you want stealth - the Asian map is a good way to do it - terrain, fox and distance.

9. Start planes at their optimal altitude. Seriously!

10. Of course fix chat

11. Add clans (This sooner rather than later)

12. Have more missions that encourage people to fly T8 and above. (The monthly mission is good for T8 - not complaining)

13. Although I want joystick made MUCH better, it is not a driver to me - but it is to others.

14. Dreaming here - figure out a way to "suggest" blame for ram's. (Most of the time it will be both.)

15. Dreaming here - figure out a way to discourage non-participants, while still keeping it as a tactical option.

16. Correct speeds will mean that planes will be able to out run the enemy. Some planes were very fast with short flight times... but our battles are 15 min or less so this is reasonable. Not sure this is a good idea, but some planes should be better boost, but it doesn't cool off - so once used gone.

17. Stealth with the latest patch is a bit strange. I seem to have more problems seeing airplanes that I know are there. Given the current mechanics, I understand this but want to suggest a different kind of stealth - rather than individual plane stealth, have a limited information stealth. Think of it like radar contacts - don't give quantity and direction. Even with the radio, the real time information on the map is impossible in real life. However, if we are going to do this for near proximity targets, we need much better visibility options around our plane. I realize this is a big jump - so just consider this something to think about.

18. Have HQs be worth more and MUCH harder for a single plane to bring down. (Strategic value)

19. More maps like lighthouse that drive dumb pilots into doing things that make their own teammates want to kill them. (No joke)

20. Fewer maps like lighthouse (size) for the mid/low tiers - it is too big - unless there is a channeling of tactical/strategic targets.

21. In every patch, every balance - think how this will make it easier for team play, and not solo play.

22. On team play - have a way to "assist" command to set your target from another plane.

23. In the training room - stop the random spawn location.

24. Fix the aim broken in the last patch.

25. Reduce dispersion - I don't want to use a shotgun, I want to use a rifle.

26. No way to do this - but find a way to survey those who left - what was the reason - too hard? rammers? MM blues? Need too much computer? And follow their advice.

27. Don't listen to the loudest (for example me), listen to the quiet voices in the game and on the forums. Give a random poll to just someone playing. Give them gold for answering the poll.

28. Have more skins that "do nothing" (no stealth) but make them cheaper.

[SF]xQuietx -- World of Warplanes Division -- xquietx@team-sf.com

ArrowZ_ #14 Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:31 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

I want nothing more than for WG to fix EVERY SINGLE bug so this game can run smoothly for once.

Shut down the servers if that's what it takes. Just spend a couple days fixing it all and put it back up when everything is ready to go.

Is that asking too much?

Edited by ArrowZ_, 04 May 2014 - 02:31 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

Ace_Reporter #15 Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:59 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 16 battles

It would be good to see a change in the orientation. For example, consider all the time spent in designing high-test gas: icon, graphic, mechanism, store, etc. Then some idiot decides to double the price and make it uneconomic for tier 2. No reason, no discussion, no topic on the Forum, no testing, just "Screw you, Community, look what I can do with just a click of my mouse!" It goes beyond the waste of that design work. It goes beyond, "if it's not broken, don't fix it." It is beyond childish. It was so irrational that the only explanation I can come with is that an Industrial Spy has infiltrated design, and just goes around ganking the game. Find out who ruined AvGas, a few weeks of water boarding, and the spy will confess. In the meantime, please fix the price of gas. 

Edit: Based on some great advice and analysis from Merc, I am modifying my approach to commodities. I incorrectly assumed that Avgas was always 2500. I will be buying 1,000,000 in Avgas at the 2500 mission sale price. I also bought 50 each of the premium first aid kits and fire extinguishers, now on sale at half price. Merc also emphasizes consistent use of the 2x. Yesterday I bought and elited my last two Tier 2's. Still need 100 -120 games or so to get my first skill in my Stosser, depending on use of 2x. Time to look into a leap over Tier 3 "the tier of death" into 4 or beyond. I may jump towards the P-40 so I can earn the P-38. I very much appreciate Merc's kind assistance.

Edited by Ace_Reporter, 05 May 2014 - 12:28 PM.

DasTomas77 #16 Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:14 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 807 battles
A gas gives another advantage to experienced players because they can afford it, newbies cant. Maybe its time to stop whinning about a price of a gas and leave seal clubbing for good, Ace?

Edited by DasTomas77, 04 May 2014 - 04:19 AM.

Ace_Reporter #17 Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:32 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 16 battles

Not sure how the gas is more affordable for me. I still have two more tier 2's to buy and elite, the British lines. Were you incapable of following the post? Why did WG raise the price? Or, you just wanted to bash me? I have 319 battles, you flew in Closed Beta and 4501 battles since. Why did WG raise the price? Was there an outcry on the forums for a higher price? Was it discussed? Did anyone ask for dev time to be spent ruining the feature? Does it make sense to charge the tier 2 the same as a 4 with, what, twice the earning power. Either it was an error, or WG should explain it's rational. 

Edit: I have modified my original post based on advice from Merc. Longer term, I will look into gas consumption of representative planes by tier and see if there is a solution to recommend to WG.

Edited by Ace_Reporter, 05 May 2014 - 12:07 PM.

DasTomas77 #18 Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:37 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 807 battles
Probably because they want to stop seal clubbing, a step in very well direction.

Ace_Reporter #19 Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 16 battles
And you heard that from which WG staff member? Or you just made it up? Why did WG raise the price?

barbeerian #20 Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:01 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_

Change altitude bands:

There should still be planes that operate better at high altitude and ones that perform better down low, but increase the ability of low-alt planes to actually engage in combat up high instead of having to sit there helplessly watching from down below.

Overhaul the MM system:

-Stop forcing stupid matches (ex: A flight of T9's, with 8's and 7's on one side VS. 8's and 7's making up the other team). I don't mind flights at all, but if there aren't going to be any top tier planes on one team a flight shouldn't be stuffed into the match. For that matter don't stuff a solo top-tier plane onto one team either. Had a battle the other day that was 4v4. A lone T10 and 3 T8's VS 4 T8's. It could've been a full 15v15 T6/7/8 match instead of an unbalanced small match. The lone T10 should've had to either wait longer or re-queue in a lower tiered plane.

-Try to balance planes by tier & type. If there are multiple heavies, lights and GA's balance them between the teams as much as possible. I understand it can't always be perfect but we've all had those matches where one team gets 4 262's and an IL-20 and the other team gets 4 IL-20's and a 262.

-Try to balance by altitude rating (unless of course they fix the altitude bands). With altitude being such a major factor in air battles it divvy up high altitude planes more evenly between teams.

-Try to balance flights. Again, I have nothing against players who want to flight up for any reason, but when one team gets 3x flights and the opposing team gets none it makes for a boring match no matter which side you're on.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users