F7F - What are your thoughts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Cuesta_Rey #1 Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

Everyone is talking about the new P-38's, but I would like to hear what you think about the new F7F?

After only a few fights, believe I am going to like it. Need to get the last set of upgraded engines on mine, but had a pretty good result so far even though I am not anywhere near figuring it out yet. It doesn't seem quite on a par with the Bf-109Z but makes a nice second Heavy Fighter addition at tier 7.

NemesisStar #2 Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles
The American heavy line is pretty goo over all I got to play up to the F7F on test ( still on the P-38F)  But for what ever reason I am having the weirdest ^%$ing time in the craft.  In the p38 and the p38 Only I have lost almost every game i've played ... averaged only .85 kills a game so far.  Its not the plane... its me.... I dont know why but its a weird funk.    Anyways, the F7F like all the American HF is very much Multi-role and more balanced in its performance than the other HF lines so far. 

Only the weak die, the rest of us go to Cuba to chill with Tupac,Elvis,Kurt and Micheal. 

GeneralLeeStoned #3 Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14 battles

The tiers 7-9 were my personal favorite's on the test server and was really tough to pick a favorite out of those 3.  Each plays a little differently.  Like with any plane in game, reserve judgement till upgraded to fit your play style :playing:.

The P-38's (der Gabelschwanz-Teufel (forked tailed devil) as nicknamed by the Luftwaffe) play a little different than any other plane "classified" as a heavy fighter in this game, although once you figure them out they are tough to beat.

Edited by PKStar, 28 April 2014 - 02:56 PM.

Cuesta_Rey #4 Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

View PostPKStar, on 28 April 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

The tiers 7-9 were my personal favorite's on the test server and was really tough to pick a favorite out of those 3.  Each plays a little differently.  Like with any plane in game, reserve judgement till upgraded to fit your play style :playing:.

The P-38's (der Gabelschwanz-Teufel (forked tailed devil) as nicknamed by the Luftwaffe) play a little different than any other plane "classified" as a heavy fighter in this game, although once you figure them out they are tough to beat.

When you say "those 3", do you mean the 2 P-38's plus the F7F, or something else?

So far, I do not own anything above tier 7.

Colonel_Kraken #5 Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 71 battles

View PostNemesisStar, on 28 April 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

The American heavy line is pretty goo over all I got to play up to the F7F on test ( still on the P-38F)  But for what ever reason I am having the weirdest ^%$ing time in the craft.  In the p38 and the p38 Only I have lost almost every game i've played ... averaged only .85 kills a game so far.  Its not the plane... its me.... I dont know why but its a weird funk.    Anyways, the F7F like all the American HF is very much Multi-role and more balanced in its performance than the other HF lines so far.

You're not the only one, Nemesis.  I don't think I've won a battle yet with my P-38F.  I get owned everytime, no matter what I do.  Granted, I'm an LF kinda guy, but my favorite plane is the 190A-5 -which flies a lot like a heavy.  I don't know; this plane is throwing me for a loop.

GeneralLeeStoned #6 Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14 battles

View Postdoublespook, on 28 April 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

When you say "those 3", do you mean the 2 P-38's plus the F7F, or something else?

So far, I do not own anything above tier 7.

I mean just what I said...the tier 7-9 were my favorite of the American Heavy line and tough to pick between the 3 after playing them (upgraded to my liking, the top configuration may not always be best setup.) on the test server.

Although the more and more I play the 38J, it is quickly rising on my fav's list.  This thing can be the ultimate Heavy Fighter hunter for it's tier.  410's and Mosquito's beware!  I have even taken out multiple tier 7 heavies with this lil guy and a 262 (tier 8) that tried use his Heavy like a light fighter.  The guns are lacking compared to other tier 6 heavies, but with it's maneuverability, ceiling height and climb rate, you can quickly ruin other people's day.

It is very possible to do well in the P-38's.

For example:

My P-38J record at this point- 

Win rate- 67.05%

Battles- 88

Kills- 134

Max in one battle- 7

This listing is with a basically stock version of the 38J, with only the middle upgraded engine that transfers from the 38F (the win rate in my F is even better 72.06%).  I am willing to bet there are people out there with even better records flying it.  

The tough part (as with most planes) is understanding strengths and weaknesses, then using that knowledge to your advantage.

PS- Not intended as bragging, for example only.

Edited by PKStar, 29 April 2014 - 04:54 PM.

Keulz #7 Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

The F7F is a lot like the hornet, a little slower but better FP.

You can die more easily than with the 109Z.

It's a good plane overall, but the pancake...

:facepalm:

S842 #8 Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:53 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 9 battles

The point of this thread was to hear about opinions and experiences for the F7F, but in most cases posters just talk about their P38's.  I would like info on the F7F.  Post about your P38's elsewhere.

Topsight #9 Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

I have flown the F7F extensively. Made the transition to it early due to the M.20 and how it should be flown and be successful. First, you do not fly into battles like some nimble fighter strapped to you; you will be chewed to pieces. Don't climb high every battle; let the Queue drive your altitude choice. You have to know what you are up against in aircraft from the enemy side to start with; just like any other plane you fly. Secondly, and most important you must be well ahead of this aircraft when closing in for combat with agile fighters; have an exit picked out and have that boost all saved up if possible. As for success; I have 3 aircraft chevrons and well on the way to 4; you can be successful, but it depends on your skill and strategy. Don't expect to survive the entire battle. Don't like giving out too much advice, but the op asked and I gave it.

As far as upgrades...get em! You can always Demount later.

Carl_the_Cuttlefish #10 Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20 battles

View PostTopsight, on 18 May 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

I have flown the F7F extensively. Made the transition to it early due to the M.20 and how it should be flown and be successful. First, you do not fly into battles like some nimble fighter strapped to you; you will be chewed to pieces. Don't climb high every battle; let the Queue drive your altitude choice. You have to know what you are up against in aircraft from the enemy side to start with; just like any other plane you fly. Secondly, and most important you must be well ahead of this aircraft when closing in for combat with agile fighters; have an exit picked out and have that boost all saved up if possible. As for success; I have 3 aircraft chevrons and well on the way to 4; you can be successful, but it depends on your skill and strategy. Don't expect to survive the entire battle. Don't like giving out too much advice, but the op asked and I gave it.

As far as upgrades...get em! You can always Demount later.

Same advice i'd give for the hornet :)

Anyways, the hornet has a tighter turn radius and I've taken out several of them when we get into turnfights.

"It's about to get real inky in here!!!"

- Carl the Cuttlefish, the artist formerly known as S01836775, now in an all new user friendly format.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining in my posts 

And why do we balance???

MagusGerhardt #11 Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:32 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Repost from Wesrin's thread.   But this pretty much sums up how I feel about the Grumman F7F Tigercat.

And this was stock.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users