Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

I didn't like the Bristol for several reasons:

1.) Engine killed often

2.) Pilot injured often

3.) Can't climb

4.) Often isn't nimble enough to out turn enemies in top 8 .303 configuration

However, if you're smart and cautious, you can BnZ other fighters with it and the 8 guns shred anything within range in seconds and your aim doesn't have to be very good. The guns at Tier IV are really its best asset. It's not good when outnumbered as you can't climb, turn or run from most fights so try to make your attacks count. You won't get many opportunities for missed passes.

WanderingGhost #22 Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I'll admit that initially, I detested the 146 and 133. I sold them first chance I got. Re-bought the 146 for the grind to 100k and perhaps it was the time in the spitfire or watching the spitfires guide, but it was like flipping a switch. The trick is to really learn what way it beats which planes. Generally vs the other tier 4 planes, it'll often match or out turn German and American planes, they you may need to use flaps and boost/throttle kill to get a real good turn on them. Best to boom and zoom against Russian and Japanese planes on tier, or better yet wait till their distracted. the 8x brownings can eat away a planes hitpoints in a flash at close range. The spitfire better defines itself, and while it took me a while to figure it out as well, I've learned I prefer the edge that gets in speed and mobility with the same 8 guns the 146 has then with the 20mm, albeit i sometimes need the firepower.

The 146 has a learning curve, thats for sure, but its a good lead up to the spit in terms of being some what of an all rounder needing to learn how to beat what opponent. I will say though that for lower flying HF's, the 146 is a nightmare, more so then I'd say the zero or and of the other planes save the 109b. Those .303's seem to fire forever at times. Curious what controls you use though, I find myself sticking to a mouse/keyboard set up, I want to fly with a joystick, but cant seem to find a set up that gives me the response I want without it being too twitchy.

Aces/Destroyer/Ace(post1.9)(#of/#) - A6M1(7/1), P-36(1), BF-109b(3), Ao-192(1), beaufighter(3/1), BF-109z(2), P-12(2), A6M2(3), P-51a(4), Yak-7(2), Bf-110C-6(2), F4F(2/4), Blenheim(2), BSH-2(1), XP-50(1),  BF-109f(1), LA-5(1), Spitfire I(2), P-40 M-105(3), BF-110e(1), F4U-1(1), FW-190 A-5(4), I-16e.(1), XF4F-3(1), A6M5(5), F7F(1), XF4U-1(1), Bf-109E (1), A7M (2), I-16l (1), P-38f (1), P-40 (1), Mig-3 (1)

flybigfoot #23 Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostMrCranky, on 28 April 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

The only thing missing is the top engine.

Normally when the battle starts I circle climb to gain altitude and let the pack zoom off to its doom; then look for someone to engage that has made it past the initial scrum. That or I come in on a GA.

I will try the incendiaries, they just seem a little pricey for me right now since its feeding 8 guns.

I went with this line for the Spitfire, but after flying a lot of my friend's mid tier US and Soviet planes I may go that route instead. (I went British and Japanese lines)

Well, it's not that bad. lol. i ground through it this weekend in order to get to the spitfire, which is an excellent tier 5 plane.  

AoNo_BlueD #24 Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
lol! That's so funny. I came here to ask the same thing. Like, maybe if I took the gun upgrade off it would be better? This plane sucks so hard and I hate it. I just wanted to use the Spitfire and really wish I had never gone down this stupid tech tree.

Friday Night Gaming -- A stream to learn competitive games. Live every Friday night at 7pm Pacific/10pm Eastern.

Look for us on YouTube and follow us on Twitter @FriNGaming.

AoNo_BlueD #25 Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:55 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostWanderingGhost, on 09 May 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

...perhaps it was the time in the spitfire or watching the spitfires guide, but it was like flipping a switch...

What's this Spitfire's guide you're talking about? I feel like I could use some pointers here.

Friday Night Gaming -- A stream to learn competitive games. Live every Friday night at 7pm Pacific/10pm Eastern.

Look for us on YouTube and follow us on Twitter @FriNGaming.

flybigfoot #26 Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

https://www.youtube....h?v=2jvUrtYktL0

It's for the tier6 spitfire V.

SOGRick_Cranium #27 Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7 battles

I have to be honest, when I got past the bristol and got the Spitfire, I didn't look back and was loving the Spitfire... but then came the Summer Winds challenge... I had since ran the Zero line up to tier 6 and really hit a wall with the other Brit planes (only really had the Spit I and Beau to work with reliably)... I thought to myself, that Bristol is pretty close to these Zero's I'm flying and doing fairly well with, so I went back and got the Bristol.  I was worried with the original experience with it, but then I started flying it just like the A6M2... BAM, that was the ticket...

So if you have room, hang on to it... go fly that Spitfire for a while and try out those Zero's too... then come back and see how you feel, it may just surprise you.

Good Hunting!!!

DH

StoptheViolins #28 Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2182 battles

I thought the 146 was awesome. It can turn, climb, and packs some nice firepower.  If you tandem with the british heavy line, a lot of equipment will be shared across the trees.

i find the plane does the easy over (45% incline base turned) vs horizontal/vertical turns, the guns are nice at mid-range, just aim, and the peppy motor helps keep the speed.  Your best bet is to play wing man and don't run the motor full out (quickest turn != fastest turn).

Ralph_Vargr #29 Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:56 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 290 battles
Only 10,602 XP to go until I get my Spitfire. :teethhappy:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users