Is the Bristol 146 punishment?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

MrCranky #1 Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:20 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

Seriously. this plane feels like some form of punishment for trying to get the Spitfire. Anything seems to be able to out turn it, it cant hit anything, and if it does; there is little damage. When I get someone on my tail I may as well nose dive because there is no way of getting them off.

I cannot make it work and currently have 35% WR in it.

What am I missing. This plane is really making me angry.

Had an old dog whose name was Blue...

Lithiumninja #2 Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:25 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [REGAL] REGAL

use incendiary ammo.

Other than that I have no advice for you, I mostly escaped the thing using accumulated free exp as I knew in advance from having played against it that it's food. 

honorabili #3 Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 5581 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Are you using it stock?

SkyWolf__WM #4 Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:43 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 13763 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

I like it a lot. Had to sell it early on but bought it back. I only run about 50%. But it's fun. I like aircraft with the 8 .303's

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

GeorgePatton #5 Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:46 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1685 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

I agree with Skywolf. 146 was a fun little plane. It was pretty bad stock, but once upgraded, I found it did quite well. I used it in a semi-BnZ way, where I wouldn't really commit to turn fights, but wouldn't run long distances either. It was pretty touchy.

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

Kiwiav8r #6 Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:56 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 608 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_

I found it an interesting introduction to flying the Spitfire.  It can do a bit of both BnZ and TnB but you need to pick your battles carefully.  The fact you only have mgs means you have to get up close and personal before letting filling the air with lead, but get within 300m and the firepower is devastating.

My recommendation to the OP is that they look at their likely opponents prior to the start of the battle.  Click on each plane and compare theirs to yours.  Are you faster or more maneuverable than they are?  Sometimes you may even be both.  Sometimes you might be neither.  If the comparison shows green in speed or maneuverability then that indicates your best tactics against THAT plane.

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

Zigfreid #7 Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 20686 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
MrCranky did you fly any other nations other than UK .I found that the bristol and all the UK plane lines 1-5 handled very well and very forgiving.Yes when upgraded they seem to do much better but i , see you have a little over 100 flights as you move up the tiers it will get tougher.So spend a little time learning to fly this plane and do not be afraid to try other nations planes you may like them better, get another 100 or 200 games in and you will feel a lot better.Good luck have fun see you in the game:izmena: 

ArrowZ_ #8 Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

This thing is a beast once you know its strengths. It excels in Horizontal Turn manoeuvres. You must avoid climbing in this plane as it stalls quicker than you can blink. Much like the russian planes. It also cannot perform well above it's optimum altitude (Past the dark green band on your alt indicator). Again like the Russians, this Feisty little fighter is a force to be reckoned with when brawling at low altitude.

For the experienced players using the Bristol146, you can also manipulate this TnB fighter to do some semi-vertical dogfights. Especially useful against Zeros.

As far as Tier Matches go, this thing excels at T4-T5. Anything higher, a Bristol146 just becomes fodder. A free exp kill in other words. Anything lower and this thing eats everything lower than Tier 4. I kind of miss my bristol. Good times with that plane.

I have stored a replay of a good match with the Bristol146 but it seems you cannot use or watch the replay since it was recorded in a previous version of WoWp, which utterly sucks.

Just keep jugging along. You'll get the hang of the plane eventually.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

losttwo #9 Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 9344 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

WOW been so long since I flew a Bristol. I finally had to sell my Mossy because I forgot how to fly it and it did not perform as it once did. Much changes when you don't play for awhile.

I can give you some advice as I am about to purchase the Bristol and re-learn it.

For any plane I fly or need to learn to fly I never rush into battle. I hang back behind 2 other pilots and follow them. Keep an eye on the mini-map so as not to get over whelmed. most importantly fly high. Learn to use the boost and flaps combinations.

One of the most important things is to use spectator mode. When you que, look to see if any friendlies are flying the same plane so when you die you can watch how they fly.

Lou #10 Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 38 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
 I have a 55% w/r in mine. Get it to elite status and give it a whirl. Love it and kept it to go for a spin every once in awhile.

WEBEUS #11 Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 76 battles
I like both of my Bristols.

MrCranky #12 Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

The only thing missing is the top engine.

Normally when the battle starts I circle climb to gain altitude and let the pack zoom off to its doom; then look for someone to engage that has made it past the initial scrum. That or I come in on a GA.

I will try the incendiaries, they just seem a little pricey for me right now since its feeding 8 guns.

I went with this line for the Spitfire, but after flying a lot of my friend's mid tier US and Soviet planes I may go that route instead. (I went British and Japanese lines)

Edited by MrCranky, 28 April 2014 - 05:53 PM.

HZero #13 Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 1005 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
The eight .303's at tier four cover a multitude of sins.

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

Colonel_Kraken #14 Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 71 battles
I absolutely hated burning through the Bristol.  It was painful beyond compare.  The Spit is worth it though.

Carl_the_Cuttlefish #15 Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20 battles

View PostMrCranky, on 28 April 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

The only thing missing is the top engine.

Normally when the battle starts I circle climb to gain altitude and let the pack zoom off to its doom; then look for someone to engage that has made it past the initial scrum. That or I come in on a GA.

I will try the incendiaries, they just seem a little pricey for me right now since its feeding 8 guns.

I went with this line for the Spitfire, but after flying a lot of my friend's mid tier US and Soviet planes I may go that route instead. (I went British and Japanese lines)

I wouldn't jump lines yet. play the japan line, and maybe try one other nation. Sometimes you just have to play other planes to figure out how to play a plane right.

"It's about to get real inky in here!!!"

- Carl the Cuttlefish, the artist formerly known as S01836775, now in an all new user friendly format.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining in my posts 

And why do we balance???

trottenhelm #16 Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
I found it to be a "pilot and engine hit" machine. It was great at heavy fighter destruction. Beyond the "pilot is wounded" and "engine is damaged" in almost every match, it was a solid OK. I wouldn't want it back but it really wasn;t all that bad.

BuckRodgers #17 Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:35 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

Haha yeah, I really did not like playing both Bristol's but looking back I had a 75% winrate for both, granted thats 4 games for the 133 and 8 for the 146 but that feels surprisingly high for how much I disliked those planes.

Tips for them are stay back and engage distracted enemies, if you are able to get under 200m they are able to quickly rip enemy planes apart. The best part of the 146 over the 133 though is the fact that it gets flaps and they can really help you win some turnfights just be very careful because it has a fairly dinky engine so it takes a while to get back up to speed and that can leave you at the mercy of energy fighters.

MrCranky #18 Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

Nope sorry, this plane combined with this game's flight controls equals suck.

It would also help if I got a team that was wasn't dead in the first 90 seconds and then had to face 3 vs 12 odds; every single time for the last 15 games. The best is watching half the ream go chase one GA off to the edge of the map while we all die.

My roommate was right, MM is 80% of the problem.

Edited by MrCranky, 30 April 2014 - 04:20 AM.

Wolfrum #19 Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostMrCranky, on 30 April 2014 - 04:19 AM, said:

Nope sorry, this plane combined with this game's flight controls equals suck.

It would also help if I got a team that was wasn't dead in the first 90 seconds and then had to face 3 vs 12 odds; every single time for the last 15 games. The best is watching half the ream go chase one GA off to the edge of the map while we all die.

My roommate was right, MM is 80% of the problem.

Matchmaker has nothing to do with players having no tactical sense. They could be great players doing foolish things after all. I never Chase a GA, ever. Unless it is the only thing there or the last thing left.

MM cannot fix bad choices, sorry.

-Wolf

A veteran is someone who at some point wrote a cheque to their country that was 'up to and including my life'

tyy #20 Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8 battles
  • [BLIST] BLIST
No...not at all....it gives you two good options...run it with four guns and you have better agility than your American or German counterparts and you can stay on the tail of a zero or A5M just long enough to get in a telling burst....with eight guns you are still as agile as F2A or Curtis Hawk (more so if their armament is maxed out) and can take down heavies or tier 3 GA....just remember you a brawler...this plane is not subtle so keep it simple...do this and the Bristol becomes a reliable killer....I've even got some aces in it and I'm no genius pilot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users