Better Joystick support?

Joystick hardware game issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Hepp #1 Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

When will we be getting better joystick support?

Like better settings for the joysticks like a sensitivity setting and better aiming support to match what has been done for the M&Kb users.

So far, there is a HUGE difference between the way joystick users and M&Kb users are treated in-game. The mouse and keyboard users have help flying AND aiming. There is also the camera disparity... The M&Kb users have MUCH better camera controls, yes this is due to the nature of the equipment in use. BUT there has been NO EFFORT to give the joystick and gamepad users anything to match it. For example I compensate for not having a free camera by using the 'Snap-Too camera', but this leaves me at a disadvantage as the 'Snap-too camera' does not have a targeting reticule, and yet the mouse ALWAYS has the target reticule. 

This is Preferential treatment for the M&Kb users OVER the joystick and gamepad users.  This is not a 'Fair and Balanced' game model. This is making it harder on one kind of player VS another. This is akin to allowing the M&Kb users too 'Cheat', and at the same time penalizing the joystick users for trying to play fair.  

There has been NO Improvement since closed beta on the joystick controls. WG has IGNORED the joystick users and, for the most part the game pad users too. There have been MULTIPLE REQUESTS for a joystick sensitivity setting/feature in the setting since closed beta, but so far not one change has been made.  For us joystick users, this game is becoming too bias towards the M&Kb users. I have noticed that there have been several tweaks to the mouse controls and aiming in several of the patches, but NOTHING for the SAME ISSUES for the joysticks.

Dont get me wrong, I love this game. I WILL continue to play, and will continue to use my joystick. BUT.... if they do not start improving the joystick controls, (or at least letting us know that they are planning too) then I will have to stop giving them my $$.

IF YOU PLAN ON IMPROVING THE JOYSTICK CONTROL SETTINGS THEN TELL US!!! I want to know if this game is worth my time & money!!  I like to think it is, but I need some re-assurance from WarGaming that they HEAR our concerns and CARE about our gaming experience. And stop treating the joystick users like second class players!!

All we have been asking for is a sensitivity setting for joysticks! And maybe a target reticule on the 'Snap-too camera' (try playing games like WarThunder without the target reticule on the 'snap-too camera'.)

Telexis #2 Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
I myself am a flightstick users, I can't see myself flying with m&kb . When I started playing wowp I had no choice but to use mouse and keyboard, and boy let me tell you I didn't like it at all. I went out a bought a flight stick, thinking I was going to own the sky because I know have a flight stick and was going to kick major arse, boy was I ever wrong. I was way more accurate with the m&kb, but it just didn't feel right, I kept tweaking the settings of my flight stick and took advice from different people's post and I have gotten a heck of a lot better with my flight stick, but yea m&kb  definitely have an advantage over the flight stick, but hey what the heck, I will continue to play using my flight stick until I find an aerial combat game that supports flight stick controller as opposed to m&kb, and is just as fun and when I do the owners of that game will get my hard earned cash, Yes I'm one of those idiots that pays for premium account so I can get more exp and credits. I enjoy this game a lot and don't mind spending a lil cash here and there, but when I find one that supports flight sticks I will switch games

Mugsy_ #3 Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A

Hello,

We definitely plan on both improving and balancing our control schemes. This will be a big priority for us in the coming updates.

Ace_Reporter #4 Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 16 battles

View PostMugsy_, on 14 April 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

Hello,

We definitely plan on both improving and balancing our control schemes. This will be a big priority for us in the coming updates.

Great news!

Hepp #5 Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostMugsy_, on 14 April 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

Hello,

EXCELLENT!! Do we know when? I know the 1.3 update does not have it.

DrSinister #6 Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 121 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Hepp, there is sensitivity on the joystick advance options.  If you want it to be more sensitive you move the points above the middle line, if you want less you move it below the line.  Also when you remap your axis you will also see that there is a deadzone + sensitivity slider there.

I agree that there needs better "pivoting camera" for us joystick/gamepad users.  The snap to views work some what but the problem with that it still gives us blind spots.

I have used a Head Track device to emulate as a mouse and it works, more tuning I can get it to work like the mouse right click view, but at times it feels to cumbersome. 

Hepp #7 Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:00 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostDrSinister, on 15 April 2014 - 12:13 AM, said:

Hepp, there is sensitivity on the joystick advance options.  If you want it to be more sensitive you move the points above the middle line, if you want less you move it below the line.  Also when you remap your axis you will also see that there is a deadzone + sensitivity slider there.

I agree that there needs better "pivoting camera" for us joystick/gamepad users.  The snap to views work some what but the problem with that it still gives us blind spots.

I have used a Head Track device to emulate as a mouse and it works, more tuning I can get it to work like the mouse right click view, but at times it feels to cumbersome. 

This only works so much. My joystick, even with a heavy curve is still WAY too sensitive. If i pull back the stick 1/2 way my plane is at full aileron... If i set the deadzone to compensate then the joystick wont respond to subtle movements, and thus makes aiming that much harder. Like driving a car that has loose steering wheel. The best solution would be to have a 'real' sensitivity slider that will allow the joystick to utilize the entire stroke of each axis.  At the moment I have only about 2/3 of the joystick axis stroke usable on all axis...no deadzone.

I have had the 'cures' set for all my axis since closed beta, I understand how the curve works and I don't want you to remove it. That being said, the 'curve' has its drawbacks, like if you set a heavy curve it starts and ends with a steep curve. This means that the beginning of each axis is more sensitive, then evens out, then is too sensitive again at the end. Not an ideal setting for sensitivity.

Did Wargaming have a specific joystick that they used to test this? Not all are made equal, or even to the same specs. It may be simply the difference between the hardware used in each joystick, and the length of the joystick axis stroke that is causing the underlying issue. If this is the case, a simple sensitivity slider would be able to adjust the length of the axis stroke to compensate for the differences.

FYI, I have used the Logetec 3D Pro, and currently I have the Thrustmaster Flightstick X. Both have the exact same issues on WoWp, and both require completely different settings and curves to behave the same in WoWp.

SkywhaleExpress #8 Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:18 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Just for the record... The game works perfectly without any settings changes needed...

WITH 

Thrustmaster T flight Stick X

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

Claudio67 #9 Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 545 battles

Aside from the curves have you tried the sensitivity sliders? Settings -> Adjust joystick axes -> Axis # 

Spoiler

Disclaimer: I don't use much the joystick, perhaps the high latency I have (~190ms on good days) doesn't help, but anyways, mouse camera it's far of being a blessing; many, many (and I mean MANY) times in a dive, the camera keeps pointing down and doesn't move or near objects it has a "hiccups" and doesn't respond (and as the plane follows the camera, well, you can imagine the rest)

FryaDuck #10 Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:55 AM

Squadron Leader Knucklehead

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostMugsy_, on 15 April 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

Hello,

Too late sunshine way too late.

Oderint, dum metuant, tunc ad infernum - Let them hate as long as they fear then go to hell
1st AlphaAce IL-2 (t)(Air)

Hepp #11 Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:19 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

Claudio67,

YES, yes I have. 

As for the slider that is labeled "sensitivity slider"...it does nothing at all.  It is simply 'there'. This changes nothing in the way of sensitivity, or changes the axis stroke length at all. I can drop it to nothing and get the same response as when it is fully maxed. The only thing that affects the joystick is the curve and the deadzone. Neither of my joysticks can use their full axis stroke, only about 2/3ds of it.  I have tested it out and the joysticks have no issues and all axis have there full range of motion in the joystick calibration and other games.  If the slider worked then I would not be having any issues....

FastAttack #12 Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

I play with default settings, and honestly sometimes i feel I have more of an advantage when I am on someones tail than that of a mouse user. The only benefit i see right now like Dr.Sinester said is the view camera we get is not as good as those with mouse players.

I honestly don't feel the actual control scheme itself or "sensitivity" needs to be changed, you have the curve settings you can play with ( which I myself don't even touch). And to be honest I don't think all of us joystick users want the assistance of autoaim that much either. Granted for new players this might be great. But for us vets that have used the same control scheme since Closed Beta don't need "changes" to be done or added assistance.

xMADDMANNx #13 Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

All they need do (frankly they (WG) have the money) is enable Track Ir.

then the view issue is gone, joystick AND mouse can look around with ease.

Any pilot who has flown iL2 in the past or any other flight game for that matter that is worth a crap has a track IR sitting on the desk. The squad i was in out of 25-30 people only 5-8 did NOT have Track IR or (free track).

You dont have to buy anything with free track options out there, but... This is a FIX to the view issue that at current gives mouse players a great situational boost being able to scan around the skys without a clunky hat switch but a smooth easy "sweep view' around the battlefield.

To have joystick options without track IR is one of the main reasons none... yeah thats right *none of my old squad m8 or gents i know will come and play this game.

NOTE TO WG BELOW>>>

To make a game that is about flight and NOT go after the flight sim, flight arcade player as a goal playerbase is stange and silly.. I know many people who play flight games and have for many years. but WG just to let you know they have seen this game and due to the shortcomings listed in various threads that have already been talked about they have no wish to play this game. YOU loose the money.

ViolentAngel #14 Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
When I started playing WoWP I did not have a flight sim background at all. It took me literally weeks to find mouse settings that felt best to me, but they're not perfect (I have a console background and game pad was a total non-starter here). I find that oftentimes with the mouse the camera angle gets too far off and aircraft control is totally borked. Also, I both love and hate some of the auto-adjustments for M&Kb i.e. auto-leveling is great for small-mid changes, but makes dramatic/complex moves difficult to pull off smoothly. I've gotten the mouse/keyboard controls and settings down well enough that I can pull of some descent maneuvers, but it took a ton of practice and fiddling. I thought, "well, if only I had a flight stick."  So I got one - and spent the next couple of weeks fiddling with the joystick settings :/  I was finally getting the hang of it, but eventually went back to M&Kb. While I could do some very impressive guns defense with the joystick and became somewhat proficient with other maneuvers, I have not been able to make the settings where I can track targets as easily/well (sensitivity) or maintain orientation (camera view) as I can with the mouse. So, back to M&Kb. I would prefer to use the joystick - so looking forward to an update that addresses the issues.

"Fiery the Angels rose, & as they rose deep thunder roll’d"

-- William Blake

Baker954 #15 Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:34 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [1-DOG] 1-DOG

The accuracy advantage for mouse and keyboard users is quite irritating in my opinion. I'd like to see this balanced myself. I never had an issue with this in closed beta. But then the accuracy and aiming dynamics were changed and the advantage shifted to mouse and keyboard users. i I spend far more money on wargaming than I'd care to admit. i Love tanks and planes. Lately I've not had much interest in planes though. Shame too as I used to prefer it over tanks by a long shot. 

Also tagged with Joystick, hardware, game issues

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users