Anti Aircraft accuracy

AA anti aircraft

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Roy_McMullet #1 Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4 battles

How about diminishing return on ground AA with distance?

When they're nailing me for steady damage at 1000', I can get that.

But when I'm at 5000' (2 miles or so, yes?) and they're still doing it, that's not fun or fair.

Now, a game mode, where, in the first five minutes, a radar station autobuilds and is frail to attack in those five minutes (requiring some defense from players), that allows for such accuracy, I can see.

Edited by Roy_McMullet, 14 April 2014 - 03:41 AM.

SkywhaleExpress #2 Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Eh, 5,280 ft. would be 1 mile.  But, yes, they are too accurate and fire too often.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

Roy_McMullet #3 Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4 battles
Dunno why, but 2600' was in my head.  Yah for imperial measurement.

J311yfish #4 Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2996 battles
  • [343] 343
There is a story about 3 Japanese pilots that flew several close formation loops over an enemy airbase.  All AA stopped, presumably because everyone was watching their aerobatics.  It would be nice (reasonable, even) if AA accuracy was reduced by your attempts at evasion.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

ArrowZ_ #5 Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

All they need to do is program the AA so it would miss intentionally when you do some crazy evasive moves like the barrel roll. Simple.

Not like a 100% intentional miss. Maybe alittle less. Say 99%? I mean come on, who can Hit a barrel-rolling plane. Besides a Bot.

Edited by ArrowZ_, 14 April 2014 - 12:45 PM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

FlakValleyExpress #6 Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

Well now I am getting an education as to the AAA mechanics. So the AAA aim is being influenced by the Radar station? I thought that was just for show. If it does direct AAA,  I am so targeting that site with my GAA's from now on.

In regards to AAA from my observations, I have seen three modes:

1. Nothing, It will not shoot as long as friendly aircraft are combatting above it.
  2. The aim can ineffective and it’s doing something trying to look like its helping the team.
  3. The aim is like death blossom. The AAA will use all guns to shoot you from the sky. In this mode AAA will constantly hit you until you are destroyed.

Is there anything else that I am missing?

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 14 April 2014 - 05:55 PM.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

Roy_McMullet #7 Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4 battles

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 14 April 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

Well now I am getting an education as to the AA mechanics. So the AAA aim is being influenced by the Radar station? I thought that was just for show. If it does direct AAA,  I am so targeting that site with my GAA's from now on.

In regards to AAA from my observations, I have seen three modes:

1. Nothing, It will not shoot as long as friendly aircraft are combatting above it.
  2. The aim can ineffective and it’s doing something trying to look like its helping the team.
  3. The aim is like death blossom. The AAA will use all guns to shoot you from the sky. In this mode AAA will constantly hit you until you are destroyed.

Is there anything else that I am missing?

As far as I know (and many will tell you it ain't much), the radar stations you see in-game currently are just targets.  They have no effect on the AA's accuracy.

I was saying that an interesting game mode might be to have a super (for lack of a better word) radar station that begins building as soon as the game clock (not the countdown clock) starts.  It could take maybe 5 minutes till it is operational, during which time it is vulnerable to the opposing team which will try to stop the construction/upgrade before the 5 minutes is up.  If it completes its build, then the AA might get to be as hyper-accurate as I complain about in #1.

Rockstone_ #8 Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 5 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
I suggested, knocking out the radar stations to reduce the accuracy or shut down the AA guns back in alpha, but as the norm it was ignored.:angrys:

Zebra21 #9 Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22 battles

View PostRoy_McMullet, on 14 April 2014 - 07:06 AM, said:

As far as I know (and many will tell you it ain't much), the radar stations you see in-game currently are just targets.  They have no effect on the AA's accuracy.

I was saying that an interesting game mode might be to have a super (for lack of a better word) radar station that begins building as soon as the game clock (not the countdown clock) starts.  It could take maybe 5 minutes till it is operational, during which time it is vulnerable to the opposing team which will try to stop the construction/upgrade before the 5 minutes is up.  If it completes its build, then the AA might get to be as hyper-accurate as I complain about in #1.

I kinda like this idea a lot. Would give a different dimension to the game. Maybe like in tanks where they have the different types of battles and the ability to turn them on and off?

" You shoot like a fraulein! "

Heibges #10 Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 65 battles

AA needs to be powerful, but it is  too scattered across the map.

When it is spread out Johnny Appleseed style all over both sides of the map, it goes from challenging to annoying.  Like the overuse of asteroids in Star Trek: Online.

"If the Healer gets killed it's the Tank's fault.  If the Tank gets killed it's the Healer's fault.  If the DPS get killed it's their own fault." - various

butc #11 Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 122 battles
Is there any published information on how much the current mechanic of knocking out the enemy HQ affects AA accuracy?

Mackunaima #12 Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

View PostArrowZ_, on 14 April 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

All they need to do is program the AA so it would miss intentionally when you do some crazy evasive moves like the barrel roll. Simple.

Not like a 100% intentional miss. Maybe alittle less. Say 99%? I mean come on, who can Hit a barrel-rolling plane. Besides a Bot.

Until shortly after the Second World War to defend against aircraft at high and medium altitude was performed with artillery exceeding 80 mm caliber. The projectiles fired by such weapons typically include different kinds of special primers - barometric including the time and the approach - designed to detonate at the best moment so that their shrapnel from reaching the area where the aircraft .

Then make a barrel-roll will not help you escape, because the shot is made by approximation and anticipation. For this case, you would have to vary height, direction and speed over distances of medium scale (300ft)

View PostRockstone08, on 14 April 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

I suggested, knocking out the radar stations to reduce the accuracy or shut down the AA guns back in alpha, but as the norm it was ignored.:angrys:

To defend against aircraft flying at low and very low altitude, a type of gun lighter, having a higher rate of fire to increase the probability of achieving an aerial target at high speed is required. This function have been widely used automatic guns with calibers between 20 mm and 40 mm. Arms smaller (typically 12.7 mm machine guns) have also been used. Unlike the heavy weapons, small arms have widespread use because of its low cost and its ability to quickly follow the target. A variant of this type of weapons are the guns of Gatling rotary system automatically guided by radar, widely used for air defense within walking distance of warships.

In this case a barrel-roll and overturns can help you, but if guided by radar guns are used, not much you can do, only the variation of altitude can help you.

Imagining a way closer to reality in a way that it is not complicated to implement.

The right would have a AAA 3 types of weapons:

- Lightweight, fast Weapons for low altitude, usually mounted on tanks, which should be moving across the map;
- Heavy Weapons fixed to medium altitude with high precision radar guided, being necessarily linked to a radar, ie if the radar is destroyed or the main base, these weapons will stop working;
- AAA that shoot explosive charges are normally linked with radar, but when you do not have radar, ary operators can choose its height and make a shot load, this means all AAA shooting together in the same area;

One very important thing that should change is the fact that all AAA shoot on the same plane even if there are more enemy aircraft in the same spot. I think that is the correct AAA dividing and attacking everyone.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

WulfNose #13 Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:30 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Community Ace
  • 570 battles
As representative of the Ground Gunners Guild, I could not be more pleased that our efforts to improve our skills and effectiveness to make the game more challenging for you are succeeding. Training, equipment, spotter dogs, former Fw 57 navigators as gun captains, medals, radar, flak vests, helmets - no expense has been spared. No boring namby pamby game for you! But, have you noticed that our expert gunners never hit your planes? How cool is that? Stay tuned. Devastating weaponry coming soon. Wulf

Rockstone_ #14 Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 5 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostWulfNose, on 14 April 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

As representative of the Ground Gunners Guild, I could not be more pleased that our efforts to improve our skills and effectiveness to make the game more challenging for you are succeeding. Training, equipment, spotter dogs, former Fw 57 navigators as gun captains, medals, radar, flak vests, helmets - no expense has been spared. No boring namby pamby game for you! But, have you noticed that our expert gunners never hit your planes? How cool is that? Stay tuned. Devastating weaponry coming soon. Wulf

What ? LOL :wacko:

Also tagged with AA, anti aircraft

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users