Supermarine Type 224

supermarine type-224 gift reward promo british fighter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Supermarine Type 224 (23 members have cast votes)

Do you like the Type 224?

1. Yes (20 votes [86.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.96%

2. No (3 votes [13.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

What do you like about it?

1. Hit points (2 votes [3.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.92%

2. Firepower (17 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Airspeed (1 vote [1.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

4. Maneuverability (11 votes [21.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.57%

5. Altitude (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Its looks (4 votes [7.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.84%

7. Its rarity (12 votes [23.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

8. All of the above (4 votes [7.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.84%

Is it a keeper?

1. Yes (20 votes [86.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.96%

2. No (3 votes [13.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

Do you often take it out for a spin?

1. Yes (15 votes [65.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.22%

2. No (8 votes [34.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

Vote Hide poll

Mieter #1 Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

Tier III Supermarine Type 224 "Promotional"

The Type 224 is, for all intents and purposes, a tier V Spitfire in tier III clothing, and was made available from Razer, PCGamesn, Spong and various other sites.

Pros:

• Above average maneuverability vs tech tree counterparts (rated at 353. Bristol Type 133 rated at 350, Blackburn Skua rated at 317, with optimal upgrades).
  • Above average firepower.
  • Long heat cycle for weapons when firing.

Cons:

• Slightly below average air speed.
  • Large size for a fighter.

The mounted 303 Browning Mk.II (W) is shared with the Bristol Type 133, Bristol Type 146, Miles M.20, Supermarine Spitfire I, Supermarine Spitfire V and Supermarine Spitfire IX. The mounted 303 Browning Mk.II (С) are unique to this aircraft.

(Source: A quick guide to premium aircraft by Quesnel)

I haven't found any topic on the forum about this plane, so I figured I create one. I was very happy when I got this aircraft, even though I'm a USA-fanatic. There's something about this one, maybe that it's so simple-looking and kinda ugly, but it's actually pretty in it's ugliness. I love the size of the plane, even though it's a Tier III, it looks like a heavier plane. The four MGs are fantastic and quite honestly, I don't feel any sluggishness compared to other Tier III fighters, it turns zippy and it has an okay speed.

It's funny that while I do have a World of Tanks account as well, I play Warplanes differently... while I usually try to grind my way as high as my time allows in WoT (with 3 kiddos and a wife, it's not easy :) ), in WoWP I actually enjoy "being stuck" on lower tiers. It might be because I suck at planes (I really do), or just because I do all the grinding-work in tanks, and do all the fun-games in planes... but this Tier III plane is very much to my liking. Also, the rareness of it is a nice touch (I do own the I-15 bis DM-II and the Chinese Hawk III, but those can be seen fairly often compared to the Type 224).

How do you guys like this plane? Any opinions, suggestions, stories to share? Don't hold back!

Attached Files

• Attached File   supermarine-t-224 ingame.png   1020.01K

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... and when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
/F. Nietzsche/

Schwarze_Raven #2 Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Loved mine, in just ~80 battles of play I've destroyer just over 300 aircraft with it, it handles quite splendidly despite it's paper stats, excellent for BnB (Boom and Burn, my own variation of Boom and Zoom), Only shame is that it's quite sluggish in the vertical, although it loses speed at a lower rate than the RU and IJN monoplanes in a climb, which is a plus.

MagusGerhardt #3 Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Yeah...was super stoked about winning one from PCGamesn's "Name Your Plane" contest.

Had no idea the promotional code wouldn't work on the NA server, as the restriction wasn't listed in the contest or communicated in any way, including the email awarding me a code.

My interface devices are in no need of replacing, so I will not go out and buy a Razer product just to get a 750 gold value aircraft.  I will just hold out hope that further promotions will be held that I will eventually qualify for.

I'm the one responsible for the "Don't take it out to fly it" vote, because I don't have one.  My opinion of this plane is based on my experiences Beta testing it and occasionally watching my wingmen fly one if I am the first shot down in a match.

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Mieter #4 Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

Well, a couple of days later I managed to figure this plane out I think, and after a good bunch of lame battles, I actually started to score 2-3 consistent kills through several battles, also achieved Sky Scourge with it. :medal: My own advice for myself is to instantly bump myself back in the group at start (for some weird reason the game puts me in one of the very frontal positions 90% of the time), gain a little altitude, find occupied or semi-occupied bandits, and gun them down. Even though this thing doesn't really turn well, the "S" button can do amazing things - yes, I was actually surprised how effective braking can be.

It's my first plane to get gold-bought camo paintjob, too. :glasses:

Edited by Mieter, 02 April 2014 - 04:23 PM.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... and when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
/F. Nietzsche/

HZero #5 Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 1005 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
The amazing gem in the stats of this aircraft is the 80kph stall speed.  That's toe to toe with some of the biplanes.  I love mine and take it out of the hangar on a regular basis.

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

Cuesta_Rey #6 Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN
It's a beast in tier 3.

MrPsychic #7 Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 240 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS
I'm not a fan of it, I don't like the low firepower and the average maneuverability, plus the huge size makes me ignore it in my hangar. 

Binestar #8 Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 71 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3

View PostMrPsychic, on 03 April 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

I'm not a fan of it, I don't like the low firepower and the average maneuverability, plus the huge size makes me ignore it in my hangar. 

The firepower is actually quite good.  The gun stats are deceptive, but once you get on someone, you can keep the guns held down until they just fall out of the sky, the guns rarely overheat unless abused.

The size is annoying, but the maneuverability can be compensated for by thinking ahead and rolling before you need to.

HZero #9 Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 1005 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
I agree with Binestar on the guns and firepower.  Just think of the Spitfire with its low firepower score, but the absolute buzzsaw effect of those .303's.  Same thing here.

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

Chryses #10 Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I would really like to get one of these someday. It looks like a really fun plane.

Mieter #11 Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

It was the first plane I achieved an Ace with! Yay! :medal:

It also made me realize I should probably fly the Yak planes instead of the US Navy line. Still loving it!

/F. Nietzsche/

HZero #12 Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 1005 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Congrats!!!  I would say if you love it, you shouldn't be flying Yaks or USN planes - you should be flying its big brother, AKA The Spitfire!

Mieter #13 Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-
Thank you! You are probably right, but I notice that my flight "style" always brings me (near) to the deck, where I like to turn-and-burn people. Since that is not advised in regular fighters (since almost all of them starts with 1300-1400 optimal altitude on Tier V), I figured I try the Yaks, since those fly quite low compared to the other fighters. Or at least that's what I can read out from the statistics.
/F. Nietzsche/

HZero #14 Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 1005 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Very true, and I enjoy the Yaks myself, so I don't want to dissuade you.  Just adding another option for ya!

MagusGerhardt #15 Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:53 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Update:  Courtesy of the generosity of Binestar in donating a 224 code to Wolfrum's Player of the Week project I now have one.

And it is good.  :great:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Mieter #16 Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-
Magus, welcome to the club! :izmena:
/F. Nietzsche/

Wolfrum #17 Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 15 April 2014 - 12:53 AM, said:

Update:  Courtesy of the generosity of Binestar in donating a 224 code to Wolfrum's Player of the Week project I now have one.

And it is good.  :great:

You deserved it Magus,

Now you need to beat my 10 Kill Game in it :)  - Challenge issued :)

-Wolf

A veteran is someone who at some point wrote a cheque to their country that was 'up to and including my life'

MagusGerhardt #18 Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostWolfrum, on 16 April 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

You deserved it Magus,

Now you need to beat my 10 Kill Game in it :)  - Challenge issued :)

-Wolf

Binestar #19 Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 71 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3

Just beat the one I got today:

https://dl.dropboxus...louf.wowpreplay

Cuesta_Rey #20 Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

View PostBinestar, on 16 April 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

Just beat the one I got today:

https://dl.dropboxus...louf.wowpreplay

Great Ace there, Binestar.

The 224 is an outstanding gun platform. Like to load that baby up with incendiary rounds and let the good times roll. The guns rarely overheat and it's one of the best aircraft in the hangar for a steady, guns on target shootout.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users