AC Win/Loss using Top 100 Kill'ers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

MiklaDfar #1 Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:08 AM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

Being new, I was wondering what others used for planes and had success.  Not sure I did it completely accurately, but I used the API to pull the top 100 ranked by number of kills and then looked at the aircraft they used and the win/loss numbers for those aircraft... combined across all 100 users.

Here is some of the data sorted by percentage of wins with that aircraft.  I've attached the spreadsheet for anyone interested.

Attached Files

• Attached File   WorldOfWarplanesData.zip   17.36K

Edited by MiklaDfar, 27 March 2014 - 01:13 PM.

SkywhaleExpress #2 Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:18 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
SO, is there only two of us with BSh-1?  :hiding:

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

Mercsn #3 Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

Right now, the game's in a bit of a design flux while the devs try to iron out some of their flight and gameplay mechanics.  So, something that was good, might not be as good, and something that was bad, might be better.   I didn't download your file to see what you'd been looking at.

As for posting something to the website, you don't need to join some other site, here's a guide in which I give explanation and list a hosting site with no signup:

http://forum.worldof...829#entry254829

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

MiklaDfar #4 Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

Thanks for the posting tip... I updated the original post.

I recognize that the game has changed over time as the models get tweaked, but I am still learning the API and I haven't found how to filter the aircraft data (by account) by date.

Also, it's been awhile since flying online WW simulators.... my last real committed time was back in the days of Air Warrior in the late 80's.  I was so into it I had MANY books, design data, original drawings, etc. on WW II aircraft to help with developing the models.  Not sure where all that stuff is today

Mercsn #5 Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

Well, as to your original question of what to fly... planes with higher altitude ability ("optimal altitude" stat) generally have an advantage in overall battle ability.  However, in the lower tiers, where players are more inexperienced, the Japanese planes can be deadly due to their maneuverability and, starting at tier IV, their strong cannons.  

You can browse plane stats with various different levels of upgrades by using the encyclopedia (and clicking the "show more module upgrades" button/link.

http://worldofwarpla...pedia/vehicles/

This game isn't a sim by any means.  It is visually very appealing and they've done a good job getting the aircraft right, and the terrain looks great on higher graphics settings, but some things, like ground targets, just look cheesy.  This is partly because of scale and partly because of resource optimization.  The point being, it looks like the real deal, but it's not a sim.  WoWP is more a 3D shooter involving WWII aircraft than a sim.  The benefit is you can get into the action quickly and not have to fiddle with the more tedious bits of flight. 

If you think you'd like to play the game more as a twisty turny dogfighter, try the Japanese line.  This line is fun and competitive at least to tier V or so, where the altitude mechanics really start to punish them.  The Russian planes also fit this style, but their firepower is very weak and they seem pretty beginner un-friendly.

If you want to play a slash attack where speed, altitude, or climbing ability will be used to pounce on an enemy, shoot them up a bit and zoom away to safety before repeating, you can't go wrong with the U.S. light fighter line (LF) or either the German heavy fighter line (HF).  Also, you see several of the Fw190 line on your spreadsheet, although, the first plane in that line is junk and their complete lack of maneuvering ability might not be novice friendly.  The Bf109 line in the German LF tree is also a good choice but the weapon arrangement requires slightly more aiming finesse than the US LF.

The UK heavies are a bit like the FW190 line, speed dependent with poor maneuvering, but they are good counters to the German (DE) heavies.  The spitfire line pretty much peaks at tier V with the Spitfire I which is a great all around plane and then has mediocre models until you get to the tier X from what I understand.

If you have a particular aircraft you are fond of based on history, give that a go.  Once you learn to shoot and fly (which you've pretty much done by making it to the 100 battle mark), what makes or breaks a plane (other than "optimal altitude" stat) is the pilot's ability to use it properly in the flow of battle.  In other words, read what's going on, guess what's going to happen, so you can put your plane in the right place to counter the biggest threats on the other team.

Welcome to the game and the forums!

:honoring:

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

MiklaDfar #6 Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

Thanks for the tips!

Right now I am using the A6M1 and Bristol 146 for TnB and the BF110 C-6 for BnZ.  Looking to get into the Spitfires.  Also use the LBSh for when I want to do some bombing runs, but probably need to be in a squad to really be effective (unless I can sneak in low) and not get caught on ingress.  I will be getting the German line going so I can get the FW190 at some point.

Are flaps modeled effectively where on some planes at certain altitudes I can get a bit more maneuverability at lower speeds?

Also, I currently have bombs on the Zero in case I get to a target before engaging another aircraft.  Do I get the maneuverability back if I drop early in case I have to engage?

Thanks again!

oldiowaguy #7 Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 145 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM

Yes, flaps help with turning.

You get some, but not all maneuverability back after dropping your bombs on the Zero. The racks are still there taking some away.

Dirizon #8 Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:55 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostMiklaDfar, on 28 March 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

Bristol 146 for Turn and Burn

Br146 is not a circle radius turn fighter. lt is not, at all. And not only is it not maneuverable, it is slow too. ln fact, there are many things the bristol is not, and very few things it is. A6M1, l16L, l17, AR197, HE112 all turn inside of the bristol, and very easily/quickly. Bristol is just one of those sticklers in the tech tree, that you should just run by. lt sucks, and it does very little other than shoot at lot of bullets very quickly, though not necessarily doing lots of damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users