MG-17 (1934) firepower variations

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

Svensohn #1 Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:49 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

I've been looking at the WoWP encyclopedia at modules and plane stats and whatnot and noticed that different planes, when armed with the same weaponry, sometimes have different firepower settings, notably in the case of early war german planes armed with synchronized MG-17 (1934) machine guns.

I've listed below the firepower ratings for each of the following planes when equipped with no other weapons besides a pair of synchronized MG-17's. 

T1: Ar 65:    20

T2: Ar 68:    20

T2: He 51:   20

T2: Fw 56:   25

T3: Ar 80:    26

T3: Fw 159: 23

In all of these cases, the stats for the actual module itself remain the same, i.e., each plane is mounting exactly the same weapons.

I'm interested in why mounting that weapon on different planes results in a higher firepower rating. With damage of the bullet and rate of fire remaining the same, I can only see it being a question of accuracy. Are the mountings on the Fw 56, Ar 80 and Fw 159 somehow stiffer, giving less dispersion? Do those planes have better sights? Or are those values purely there to balance gameplay?

I know this question is kind of in the weeds, but I'd be interested if anyone has ever noticed this or has any idea.

An_Average_Jho #2 Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:28 AM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD

All the MG17 I've been looking at all have 40 DPS per pair, or 20 per gun. The only ones that have higher DPS are the MG17 mounted in the nose hub (Ar 80 and Fw 159), which has 45 DPS.

Firepower rating depends on different things, but we don't know exactly on what. A plane that is faster is also more accurate, so that may play a role. Also, 'soft stats' can be slightly different from plane to plane (think cannons in WoT).

Everything tastes better if it tries to eat you before you eat it

I named my airplane Iosef because it kept on Stalin

"Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat"

Svensohn #3 Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:39 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
I guess that makes sense. I'd just be interested in what specifically the firepower rating depends on. Hadn't thought of the speed part of the equation though.

Nihtwaco #4 Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 488 battles
  • [DSA] DSA
With Synchronized guns Prop blade count and RPM also have to be factored in.

Mercsn #5 Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostNihtwaco, on 26 March 2014 - 04:17 AM, said:

Perhaps,  but the bigger point the OP raises is that we have no idea what makes up a planes "firepower  rating!".   WG's unwillingness to share this means i do as average _jho and just look at the actual module dps rating.  

The firepower rating used to be a total of the firepower of each equipped gun.  At some time around patch 5.1, this was changed along with weapon damage rebalancing for many aircraft and tiers I through IV especially.   At this point, firepower rating no longer equalled the total of each equipped gun (module damage output × number of guns).

It would be nice to know exactly what makes up the firepower rating  and to what extent. 

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

HZero #6 Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 2 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
The two stats that we know affect this but that we don't really have numbers for are accuracy and firing duration.  Firepower is one of those stats that really needs more clarity and work.  As it stands now it's not always a good representation of head on attack power, which is what it's supposed to be measuring.

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

Svensohn #7 Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostMercsn, on 26 March 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

At this point, firepower rating no longer equalled the total of each equipped gun (module dps ÷ by number of guns).

As a side note, I believe the module stats apply to a single weapon, and thus need to be multiplied by number of guns (or engines, in that case). Actual MG-17's made 1200 rpm per gun, so the 1100 listed in the module data for a synchronized gun makes sense for a single weapon; the pair would be 2200 rpm. 

View PostNihtwaco, on 26 March 2014 - 04:17 AM, said:

Hadn't thought about this. It would make sense if some engines were more efficiently synchronized with some weapons.

Thanks for the answers. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's interested.

Mercsn #8 Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostSvensohn, on 26 March 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

As a side note, I believe the module stats apply to a single weapon, and thus need to be multiplied by number of guns (or engines, in that case). Actual MG-17's made 1200 rpm per gun, so the 1100 listed in the module data for a synchronized gun makes sense for a single weapon; the pair would be 2200 rpm. 

I think I just fat-fingered the ÷ which is next to the × on my keypad (mobile foruming) trying to be flashy using the proper symbol instead of just x since it's available on the keypad.

Yes, module damage listed is per gun.  So, the total damage output would be module dps × number of guns.  Thanks for that.  Fixed in the post to clarify what i was trying to say.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users