REALLY need tips for the Me 410!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Moldycheese #1 Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

Airman Basic

• 10 battles

No matter what I try I'm lucky to survive a couple of minutes and getting kills is a whole other matter entirely. It's not like I'm rushing out alone by myself either.

I did absolutely amazing in the Bf 110s so is there something I'm missing about using the Me 410 or is it just crappy?

PLEEEEESE give me tips if you have them because I am ripping my hair out trying to get to the next tier in this thing!!

Edited by Moldycheese, 21 March 2014 - 12:44 AM.

_Lindy_ #2 Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:49 AM

Feedback Airedale

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 202 battles
Get altitude and keep it, use it to boom and zoom. If you ever get low in it your done you absolutely have to keep up your energy.

datum perficiemus munus

dagengster #3 Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:50 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostMoldycheese, on 21 March 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

I did absolutely amazing in the Bf 110s so is there something I'm missing about using the Me 410 or is it just crappy?

I played this plane during beta test and I actually loved it. Great firepower and missiles.

Hanger: [Ha 137 V-1 : Bf 109 B : Bf 109 F : Spitfire V DB : Me 410] [I-15 Bis DM-2 : I-15 (Late) : LaGG-3 : IL-2 Two Seat : LBSh] [XF4F-3 ] [Mustang 1]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soviet Attack aircrafts = Flying tanks

"I will poop bombs and missiles at your HQ"

Moldycheese #4 Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:55 AM

Airman Basic

• 10 battles

I haven't upgraded the weapons yet so does having the extra set of cannons help a lot?

_Lindy_ #5 Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:58 AM

Feedback Airedale

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 202 battles

I fly it with the 20mms not the 30s, gives it a little more climb ability and doesn't suffer much.

Edited by Lindy, 21 March 2014 - 12:58 AM.

datum perficiemus munus

RedExcalibur #6 Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6 battles

If you don't have any cannons on the outboard weapons yet, yes getting those will make a lot of difference. Your ability to kill something in one pass will go up quite a bit. 

Altitude is your friend. I've noticed that the 410 handles better up in the red than a lot of planes I've flown (only up to Tier 7 though), so don't be afraid to pull enemies higher, and then higher still, and then loop vertically on them and blast them while they're struggling not to stall.

US planes will be your bane. Try not to let a Mustang get on your tail, it won't let go and it can chase you across the map.

If you've done a boom attack and are in the zoom stage, don't give up early and try and turn if you start taking fire. You have enough energy you can outrun almost anything and the HP pool to soak up a few hits. When I first started playing the 410 I would bail too early and get killed in a turn. I stopped that pretty quick.

I've played every tech tree, but I have the most battles in the 410 so far as it's my favorite, and I have a 70% win rate in it. Trust me, if a mediocre pilot like me can do that, it's truly a fearsome plane.

Edited by RedExcalibur, 21 March 2014 - 01:09 AM.

Moldycheese #7 Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:20 AM

Airman Basic

• 10 battles

Thank you all for your tips I'll try to put them to use. Wish me luck!

Moldycheese #8 Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:11 AM

Airman Basic

• 10 battles

O.k so i have the new cannons and im following your tips but......I'm getting worse results WTH!!?

Edited by Moldycheese, 21 March 2014 - 02:12 AM.

Moldycheese #9 Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:27 AM

Airman Basic

• 10 battles

maybe I just need to take a break, it might also take awhile to get used to these new tactics.

Cuesta_Rey #10 Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN
I'm no expert and still have lots to learn. However, choose your targets very carefully. Plan ahead to make sure your angle of attack/departure (the zoom) will take you toward friendly territory and not into more enemies. You don't want to stay on target so long that it takes away your altitude and energy advantage. Sometimes being patient enough to pull off the target and make another pass later is a better strategy than trying too long to get a kill. It will often help you survive longer and put more hits on targets. When you attack your enemy with a dive angle, make sure to use the "C" key to lock your target. This way you can see what he's doing if he gives chase, then don't turn for another pass until you see him pull away or stall. Last, try and use as few turns as possible to prevent burning off energy. With this plane, energy is your friend.

Worlds_Okayest_Dad #11 Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 86 battles
  • [SICK] SICK
You have to keep in mind the cannons are low velocity. So aim is a bit tricky when in a full out dive on a moving target.... once you get the hang of aiming those cannons, one bursting some planes will be easy.

Toggle #12 Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 4693 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

The 410 is one of my all time favorites.  There is little I can add to help you out though.  Lindy, Bad_Lag and a few others have pretty much taken care of it.  I would like to expand on Lindy's tips.  Height is life for the 410.  At mission start pitch up to about 70° and boost, at about 200mph nose down to 45° then in the last 5-10 seconds of boost bring the nose down to 10° or less.  You should be at a great starting altitude.  Stay high, as tempting as those targets passing below might be, don't do it.  Fly the battle through layers, like a cake.  Start at the top layer and once you are sure no threats remain drop down to the mid layer and so on.  The lower you go, the more vulnerable you will be. 

When you do make a diving pass follow these steps.  Keep in mind these are general guidelines as every battle is fluid and you will have to adjust tactics when required to do so.

Nose down from altitude but do not boost.  Make your pass as strait as possible, obviously some maneuvering will be required to keep the gun piper on target.  Only fire short burst, about 5 seconds, then climb back up.  Do your best to never dive below 5000ft.  Try to make your opponent come up to your altitude if at all possible.  Once you make your pass climb steep bleeding off energy.  Most often you will need to boost but if you don't have to, don't waste it.  Once you have climbed to a safe altitude select your next victim or turn to make your next pass on your last target.

To stay alive:

Research and mount engines first.  Seriously!  Those big canons are mean but those engines are life.

At mission start look to the opposing side and identify all the high altitude threats.  These planes should be accounted for before going for lower attacks.  Stay with the other high flying teammates.  If you do get stuck in a fight with the oppositions 410 or 190-A-5 or P51A it's always nice to have teammate close. 

We've said it before, attack from high to low.  It's hard for a lot of people to remain at high altitude watching all those great targets pass below.  Just remember, the many high altitude flyers will be behind the low flyers.  Stay high and wait.

When making a pass:

Avoid turning.

Avoid chopping your throttle.

Avoid flaps.

All these things reduce you zoom to get away and gain altitude.

Good luck with it.  I'm sure once you get used to it you'll really enjoy it too.  She's a keeper!

pyantoryng #13 Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2633 battles

MK 108 has crap for velocity and may not hit when you want it to. You'll do just fine with 20mm - those things are mean. The Fw 190 A-5 uses the same setup but with bigger MGs.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Wing_Commander_Zero #14 Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS
I don't play heavies that much but I've learn in other planes not to start attacking just because the reticule appeared, i wait till i'm as close as possible to the enemy plane i'm trying to destroy to actaully unload my firepower. When you shoot from too far out you aren't doing much damage and you're giving away your position. The furthest I shoot at is about 1600-1700 feet but i aim for 1200-1400ft.

Edited by Wing_Commander_Zero, 21 March 2014 - 11:28 AM.

FryaDuck #15 Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Squadron Leader Knucklehead

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

For the 410,

If there were ever a time when you promised to pull out, the 410 is the reason why.

Oderint, dum metuant, tunc ad infernum - Let them hate as long as they fear then go to hell
1st AlphaAce IL-2 (t)(Air)

Lou #16 Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 38 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

One thing I've found, And all this is situational, doing a steep climb right after your attack dive is sometimes not a great idea. If you climb right above the furball, often you pull Mustangs and other high engine powered fighters up with you.

When I see a big turnfight sometimes (it depends on the situation) I will use my 600-700 kph dive speed to extend a couple thousand meters away from the fight.

Enemy planes involved in the turnfight are usually going no faster than 300 kph, often much slower. With my high dive speed, I will extend away from the fight at a 10-20 degree or so up angle for a thousand or two meters. Most planes can only get off a few shots at you at that speed.Then climb steeply/ loop back.

The main goal is maintaining my speed, and clearing the furball.

When your in your dive, try to line up to get as many enemy lined up in your path, and get hits. Don't worry about the kills, you will get them. Even one hit can damage a wing or component of the enemies plane, degrading their performance. That make's life easier for your team. You can easily take half the health of 2-4 fighters in one pass. As long as your scoring damage, your helping your team, and making XP, and credits.

I like to have a full or near full boost to start the B&Z. I reduce throttle to around 80%- 90% through the dive, and at the bottom, activate boost for the 10-15 seconds to complete my extension, and climb. I will kill the boost at the top of my climb/ loop, then by the time I'm lined back up for my next dive, The engine has cooled most of the way down.

As far as upgrades. Get the first engine, then the extra 20's. Stay away from the rockets till you get good at flying it, they will slow you down and degrade your agility. Upgrade the engine again.

Once you get better at it, If you want add the 30's to see what they do. They (or rockets) should be the last upgrade. They can one-shot, and make IL's disappear. And they REALLY affect your climb-rate and maneuverability in a bad way, it may seem sluggish.

I use incendiary ammo for the 7.92 MG and armor piercing for the cannon. Sometimes I get bored and mix em up!

Good luck, and stick with it, there's alot of good advice, tips and guides on the forums. Some of it is right above this post.

Worlds_Okayest_Dad #17 Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:57 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 86 battles
  • [SICK] SICK
410 doesn't get an upgraded tailgunner.

Lou #18 Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 38 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBad_Lag, on 22 March 2014 - 01:57 AM, said:

410 doesn't get an upgraded tailgunner.

uuhh woops yer right... I got carried away- fixed it. Thanks

iplaywithsticks #19 Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

Senior Airman

• 8 battles
I have an elite Me 410 myself, and I use the 30mm cannons. It's glorious, but sadly I know what it feels like to be a victim of the Me 410, too, when I was in my Yak-1.:sceptic:

Edited by iplaywithsticks, 23 March 2014 - 10:27 PM.

A B C D E F G H I J 

ELEMENO 

Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Guardian54 #20 Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:15 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 376 battles
  • [70] 70

Upgrade route should be (forget if there's  airframe upgrade, if there is, that first):

Outboard 20mms

Engines

The 109 Z (in case of sale, obtain it 30% off)

Outboard 30s

Everything Else.

Good luck, and may your enemies melt before you. As for why 20s? Gun synch in round velocity makes aiming a LOT easier.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users