Help with the US Naval line

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

Smallfry122 #1 Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:01 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

Greetings fellow pilots, I'm in need of assistance. I just can't seem to perform well at all using the US Naval fighters, specifically the F4F Wildcat. The optimum altitude for this plane is significantly lower even than the P-36, one tier below it, so that really doesn't leave much room for Boom and Zoom. It turns decently, but if anything even remotely Japanese or Russian shaped shows up I'm dead.

How similar is the rest of the line to this plane?

I understand that bombs and rockets are a no-go, but still the plane is rather lackluster.

Help a brother out? :sad:

Moon_Roxs #2 Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:35 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
love mine just got the pilot to 100 percent .... get used to using boost flaps and brake while dogfighting guns hit  best at 600 meters,its a fun plane to fly just takes getting used to .

K538 #3 Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:45 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 7 battles
  • [RCAF] RCAF

You need to play to your advantages.  Basically you're not the best at anything but you can take some damage and have decent firepower.

Generally don't equip bombs on these planes, but you know that already.

So other than this what you need to get good at is transitioning between tactics.  When you're fighting a Japanese or Soviet plane you need to fly BnZ tactics.  You won't be able to turn with them, but you can fight them in the vertical because you have more power.  It won't be full fledged BnZ because you can't hold the momentum but even if you just turn with them in a vertical circle instead of a horizontal circle you're going to be in better shape.

If you're fighting a German or American Army plane then you need to fly like you're a TnB fighter.  The plane that gives me the most grief at that level in the F4F is a Spitfire.

A couple of other points about the F4F.  I don't fly it much right now, but my memory is that it has a very good roll rate, this means you can roll to change the direction of your turn faster than most of the other planes you're going to face. Don't forget that you can boost a bit longer than other fighters of your tier, this can be a tactical advantage at times.  Finally, I usually fly it without the outer .50 cals and just use the inner 4 guns.  They hit pretty hard and I prefer the manoeuvrability and speed to the firepower increase.  I'd sooner shoot for a while than not be able to get my sights on the enemy at all.

Hopefully some of this helps!  Keep it up, this is a decent line.  Once you get to the F4U you get a real engine and you will feel a lot more powerful.

Edited by CaptainBluenose, 18 March 2014 - 05:46 AM.

The is a signature.

Smallfry122 #4 Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:04 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostCaptainBluenose, on 17 March 2014 - 11:45 PM, said:

snip

Thank you so much! this is excellent information!

vryce #5 Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostCaptainBluenose, on 18 March 2014 - 06:45 AM, said:

You need to play to your advantages.  Basically you're not the best at anything but you can take some damage and have decent firepower.

Generally don't equip bombs on these planes, but you know that already.

So other than this what you need to get good at is transitioning between tactics.  When you're fighting a Japanese or Soviet plane you need to fly BnZ tactics.  You won't be able to turn with them, but you can fight them in the vertical because you have more power.  It won't be full fledged BnZ because you can't hold the momentum but even if you just turn with them in a vertical circle instead of a horizontal circle you're going to be in better shape.

If you're fighting a German or American Army plane then you need to fly like you're a TnB fighter.  The plane that gives me the most grief at that level in the F4F is a Spitfire.

A couple of other points about the F4F.  I don't fly it much right now, but my memory is that it has a very good roll rate, this means you can roll to change the direction of your turn faster than most of the other planes you're going to face. Don't forget that you can boost a bit longer than other fighters of your tier, this can be a tactical advantage at times.  Finally, I usually fly it without the outer .50 cals and just use the inner 4 guns.  They hit pretty hard and I prefer the manoeuvrability and speed to the firepower increase.  I'd sooner shoot for a while than not be able to get my sights on the enemy at all.

Hopefully some of this helps!  Keep it up, this is a decent line.  Once you get to the F4U you get a real engine and you will feel a lot more powerful.

What he said about roll rate is key on this and some other planes. It can be hard to visualize but if you are being out turned by a plane that is more maneuverable with a greater turn rate, what you need to do is quickly reverse the turning direction by rolling and turning the other way, sorta making a horizontal figure eight instead of circles. They may turn faster but you roll faster so you can transition between types of rolls faster, this plus very good use of boost and flaps at parts of the turns will give you the advantage, so much that I have had people complain I am cheating because I "out turned" them and that should have been impossible. This is sort of advanced and takes a lot of skill and should be something a training video focuses on in the future.

These American jack of all trade fighters can be hard to learn. The biggest thing you must learn is that it will take multiple varied passes to kill most enemies, switching between enemies during the battle as opportunity arrives. These are not good planes to get tunnel vision on and focusing on one enemy. Expand your radar, always know all plane types and if they are higher or lower, coming or going, chasing your guy or chasing you, all while maintaining speed.

I used to dislike some of the under powered American fighters before the last change but now the battle screen shows damage and the game does better at giving experience for damaging but not destroying a plane. In these planes you can have battles where you ripped everyone a new rear but only killed one plane, now you are rewarded better and your team sees your contribution where before it seemed like you were useless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users