Is the Yak-9U garbage?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

InventorOfEvil #1 Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 30 battles

I've got this thing elited (aside from unlocking the Yak-15, of course) and I absolutely loathe it. I had a good time with the Yak-9, but this plane feels absolutely miserable; the derp is nice, but aside from that, what does this plane have? 

It's slower than the La-7

It's has dramatically worse maneuverability than the La-7

It can't perform at altitude in any capacity

Edit: And the La-7 has more reliable firepower, plus can shred planes just as quickly. 

About the only thing I can see it being any good at is shooting down GA, but other than that, its use is completely limited. I'm on the verge of rage selling it, as I just can't take the damn thing anymore. It was my first tier 7 and It hought maybe it was just me, but after acquiring the 109 G, La-7 and Spitfire 9, this plane has shown itself to be an underperformer in every aspect. 

I really wish I'd gone the Yak-1 line. 

Edited by InventorOfEvil, 16 March 2014 - 06:17 PM.

Joe42666 #2 Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
personally i dont know why you went down that middle line, i skipped right byit

You can take everything i have, but you can't take the sky from me.

pyantoryng #3 Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2228 battles
...I blame the top 37mm's low velocity...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

InventorOfEvil #4 Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 30 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 16 March 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

...I blame the top 37mm's low velocity...

I can't hit a damn thing with either of the derp guns. Seems like no matter how much I lead I can't get a good shot. 

pyantoryng #5 Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2228 battles

Try shooting at closer range?

...are you using the VYa-23 right now?

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Haswell #6 Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Alpha tester
  • 125 battles
  • [PTATO] PTATO

Is the plane competitive at its tier? Not in the slightest bit.

Does the plane perform well when pit up against other tier 7's? No.

Does the plane offer entertainment value despite underperforming? Yes.

WoWP Supertest Coordinator (NA Region) - Volunteer

An_Average_Jho #7 Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD

View PostHaswell, on 16 March 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

Is the plane competitive at its tier? Not in the slightest bit.

Does the plane perform well when pit up against other tier 7's? No.

Does the plane offer entertainment value despite underperforming? Yes.

Basically, the equivalent of a KV-2.

Everything tastes better if it tries to eat you before you eat it

I named my airplane Iosef because it kept on Stalin

"Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat"

Kiwiav8r #8 Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 608 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
It's not too bad if you forgo the heavy cannons and stick with the 23mm which provides more than adequate firepower.  I found the same thing with the LaGG-3, the cannon degraded the performance too much.

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

GiN_nTonic #9 Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

Captain

• 231 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

I started going down the middle line since I loved the Yak-1 and 1m so much - thinking those other Yaks would have a similar feel.  Well, they don't.  I've seen some people like that middle Yak line, but I am not one of them.  To me, those planes try to be the equivalent of the FW German line except without the ability to truly boom or zoom the same way.

Id love for someone that likes that middle Yak Soviet line to tell us what we are missing in our assessment. 

SkywhaleExpress #10 Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
If you can aim well with the 37/45mm cannons, then you can be competitive AND have enjoyment with it.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

dawson112299 #11 Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 5 battles

I absolutely love my Yak-9U.   

Watch as I clean up 6 enemies in this replay.     Notice 1 of my kills was from over 2000 ft away .

The trick is to know when to hit the trigger and when not to.    Short quick bursts are all that is needed.

First 2 kills are pretty boring and that P51 should have climbed away from me but as luck would have it he tried to turn fight me.

I should mention this plane is maxed out with the 45mm.

Edited by dawson112299, 16 March 2014 - 09:12 PM.

Haswell #12 Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:37 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Alpha tester
  • 125 battles
  • [PTATO] PTATO

View PostRocketSpammer1, on 16 March 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

If you can aim well with the 37/45mm cannons, then you can be competitive AND have enjoyment with it.

The plane can hardly be called competitive when it can't even hold a respectable altitude.

dawson112299 #13 Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 5 battles

View PostHaswell, on 16 March 2014 - 07:37 PM, said:

The plane can hardly be called competitive when it can't even hold a respectable altitude.

I disagree, I am very competitive in my Yak-9U.

Sighting the altitude restrictions doesn't make the plane not competitive.    1 of 2 things has to happen , a plane with a higher altitude band has to come down if they want to kill me, or I have to try to go up.   Its a matter of learning the aircrafts do's and don'ts, then applying them , same as any other aircraft.  

SkywhaleExpress #14 Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:21 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostHaswell, on 16 March 2014 - 06:37 PM, said:

It can climb to 6k+ feet in the first climb, level out and speed up at 90% throttle, engine cools fairly quick... and before combat even begins, you can climb farther up to 9k. From there, you hang back to engage until the fighting starts. Pick off a few people that are already occupied.

Like I say to most people, the idea is to not chase people up and don't try to climb again unless you're nowhere near an enemy.

sure, it's not a dominant BnZ plane with the wonky altitude bands, but it can be a successful plane.

MIA - pappabear

Haswell #15 Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:16 AM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Alpha tester
  • 125 battles
  • [PTATO] PTATO

View Postdawson112299, on 16 March 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

I disagree, I am very competitive in my Yak-9U.

Sighting the altitude restrictions doesn't make the plane not competitive.    1 of 2 things has to happen , a plane with a higher altitude band has to come down if they want to kill me, or I have to try to go up.   Its a matter of learning the aircrafts do's and don'ts, then applying them , same as any other aircraft.  

The third option you didn't mention is the plane with better altitude performance choosing not to engage you at all. The opponent will outclimb you, outrun you, go and hit GT's faster than you can catch it. There are differences between do's and do not's, and can's and cannot's.

View PostRocketSpammer1, on 16 March 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:

It can climb to 6k+ feet in the first climb, level out and speed up at 90% throttle, engine cools fairly quick... and before combat even begins, you can climb farther up to 9k. From there, you hang back to engage until the fighting starts. Pick off a few people that are already occupied.

Like I say to most people, the idea is to not chase people up and don't try to climb again unless you're nowhere near an enemy.

sure, it's not a dominant BnZ plane with the wonky altitude bands, but it can be a successful plane.

What are your strategies to engage, counter and reengage a 51D cruising comfortably at 9000ft?

SkywhaleExpress #16 Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:02 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostHaswell, on 17 March 2014 - 12:16 AM, said:

The third option you didn't mention is the plane with better altitude performance choosing not to engage you at all. The opponent will outclimb you, outrun you, go and hit GT's faster than you can catch it. There are differences between do's and do not's, and can's and cannot's.

What are your strategies to engage, counter and reengage a 51D cruising comfortably at 9000ft?

Simple . Let my high altitude players engage him if they can, and deal with others at mid and low altitudes. Unless he has an ungodly lead in supremacy, I can catch that up with AA guns and warships .

if I have a GA to cover I can do that, and/or engage elsewhere. 

I'm not saying it's a carry hard plane, but it's doable. 

You you can blame Wargaming's choice of making the Mustang 11% faster than its real life counterpart, and climb/boost rates way higher than the realistically faster and better climbing Corsair.. And also nerfing said Corsair.. THEN adding the ridiculously silly altitude bands...

for or the current problem that exists in the fact that all other types of aircraft cannot come close to being carry hard planes. 

But hey, 90% of us tell tem to go back to 4.1's flight mechanics.. They introduce something so lousy that it pushes even more players away.

MIA - pappabear

InventorOfEvil #17 Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 30 battles

View Postdawson112299, on 16 March 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

I absolutely love my Yak-9U.   

Watch as I clean up 6 enemies in this replay.     Notice 1 of my kills was from over 2000 ft away .

The trick is to know when to hit the trigger and when not to.    Short quick bursts are all that is needed.

First 2 kills are pretty boring and that P51 should have climbed away from me but as luck would have it he tried to turn fight me.

I should mention this plane is maxed out with the 45mm.

Nice game. You stay a lot lower than I ever did, which might have been my problem. 

View PostHaswell, on 16 March 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

This was yet another frustration with the 9U - I can't touch most enemies and often, the engagement is taking place far above me, where I can do absolutely nothing. My only option is to chase some GA's, which feels fruitless and dull. 

At any rate, I sold the 9U yesterday, as I was just so damn frustrated with the plane. For now, I'm going to stick to the La-7 for my Soviet's and when I have the money, I'll try out the other Yak line. 

Tuesdaysgone #18 Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles
I like to read Haswell's replies here, in the forums,  always has a witty response,  and he throws in big fancy words sometimes,  you could call him a "wordsmith".:medal:

Edited by Tuesdaysgone, 17 March 2014 - 04:33 PM.

"Virgil Caine is my name, and I served on the Danville train"
Not Scared to play SOLO!

Binestar #19 Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 70 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3

Low altitude fighters can't turn a game like high altitude fighters can.  As such the Yak-9U isn't a good plane in the current meta.  It's not terrible, and I really enjoy playing it, but it's at the mercy of other planes making mistakes.

When you're fighting planes that can nose up and climb out of your cannon range with you having no hope of getting there you're just doomed.  Sure, you'll win matches sometimes, even carry the team sometimes, but in those matches you would have done better to be in a high altitude fighter.

This is all because of the meta-game of course.

GiN_nTonic #20 Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

Captain

• 231 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

For those who like the Yak 9, can I ask if this is one of your first choice planes - or it is more about playing variety?  If going into a clan war would you specifically choose the Yak 9 series?

I have lots of planes I play that wouldn't be my first choice tier-for-tier if I had to choose only 1.  Curious to know where the Yak 9 ranks....

Edited by GiNnTonic, 17 March 2014 - 07:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users