Someone teach me to XFL-1 please

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

amade #1 Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 452 battles

I only played this aircraft for around 40 battles just after the game was launched, and I liked it a lot. But after I collected enough credits using my premium planes I then focused on grinding up the Japanese line and haven't touched my premiums much since then. As a result, it had been ages since I last flown the XFL-1. Now I've researched the A7M I thought I'd go back to the XFL-1 to grind the credits for it. And it feels... different than what I remembered.

As far as I can remember this plane hasn't been touched by WG in the patches since, though I may be mistaken. Maybe the recent physics adjustment affected it, I don't know. Perhaps the plane is still the same as before, perhaps it's just me who's extremely rusty. But I'm not one to complain much, and the reason for this thread is because I want to adapt to this plane.

Lets not talk about the guns. First battle right after taking the dust sheets off I managed an Ace. Three victims lost their wings, another lost its tail, and another simply disintegrated. All thanks to the awesome 37mm. So at least I still know how to use the guns. But in that same battle I must have stalled my plane a dozen times, it's a miracle no one jumped at the opportunity to pick me off. It seemed like I was going to carry the team but near the end I messed up by lawn darting while doing a low speed split S.

I'm so used to the Zeros I thought the XFL-1 could pull off the same maneuver at the same altitude at the same sort of speed. The stats say I should be able to outmaneuver anything that's not Japanese, Russian or a Spitfire. But I must have missed the part about where it bleeds energy like a ripped jugular vein. It feels like I shouldn't be turn fighting at all as I would stall even in horizontal turns. I'm not sure I should be doing BnZ either, because it doesn't climb well at all and the top speed is nothing impressive.

In short, I'm stumped. How should I be flying it? All the kills I had were from simple head on attacks. It does appear that I should try to climb as high as I could, do a very straight attack run and zoom away (well maybe not zoom, but most certainly away). But since I'm not fast enough to outrun any plane I failed to one-shot it does leave me with very few options. Is there a special method to conserving energy in this plane? Can it actually use the maneuverability the stats say it has? Or is the trick is to simply make sure I don't fail to one-shot my opponent on my first pass?

I haven't seen other XFL-1s in a long while now. I hope there are still some people flying them and I hope someone would spare a few pointers on how to fly it properly.

K538 #2 Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 7 battles
  • [RCAF] RCAF

What you're describing are most of the vices of the XFL-1.  I don't think there's a pretty answer to this, or at least I haven't found one.  Basically it's got excellent initial maneuverability, but it can not sustain a turn for very long.  When I'm successful with it, I tend to jink about a lot but not get into a turning fight for long with anything that approaches my power and performance.

It's a really quirky plane now.  I don't know if I like it or not any more, I've had some success simply because of the gun, but it can be very, very flukey.  It's a lot like an underpowerd Yak-7 (which to me has many of the same strengths and weaknesses but at least can sustain a turn for a while).  I'm not sure if it's fun or not, but it is a decent credit earner simply because when you do hit you do a lot of damage.  T4 or T3 planes often just disintegrate after a single shot.

I don't know how accurate this model is, I was under the impression that the P-39 (and presumably by extension the XFL-1) were fairly closely matched with the Zero at low altitude (minus the range), though not truly equal, based on what I've read about early combat in the Pacific.

The is a signature.

SkywhaleExpress #3 Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Think of the XFL-1 as a hybrid between a Yak-7 and Zero, only with better ability to take a hit. 

Like the Yak, it has awesome firepower and is quite nose heavy. Like the Zero, it loses a lot of speed in its turns, so you want to pitch less, yaw and roll more. Avoid the vertical while any enemy are within rocket range of you (5k ft/1.4km). 

It's a fun little plane . I feel it is a much more stable gun platform than the P-39 and a slightly more forgiving damage absorber than the Yaks.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

Haswell #4 Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Alpha tester
  • 125 battles
  • [PTATO] PTATO

Just for you, I'm flying my FL-1 again in the new flight model.

-high stall speed relative to its low airspeed envelope

-poor stall dynamics, but unremarkable in comparison with the LaGG-3 and Yak-7

-very poor energy retention (and by extension poor climb performance and effective flight ceiling), but has decent energy recovery

-surprisingly good maneuverability if, and only if you remain within the optimal speed and altitude bands (which itself is just a broken mechanic in general)

-low velocity 37mm shells forces you to get in close and dogfight, unlike the LaGG-3 and Yak-7 that can act as makeshift long range interceptors.

The advantages of the FL-1 are its outstanding 37mm cannon and its decent maneuverability, both of which should scream "derp dogfighter" in almost any situation. Most engagements will eventually drop down to ~1000m  and below, where you should take advantage of your maneuverability and manage your airspeed to maintain that maneuverability. If you become stuck at a low energy state, sacrifice a bit of altitude to gain more airspeed, since the FL-1 doesn't require much to go from stall speed back up to 300km/h. You certainly won't be outrunning or outclimbing anything you face, so abuse that maneuverability and first strike advantage to avoid being engaged in return.

WoWP Supertest Coordinator (NA Region) - Volunteer

Nihtwaco #5 Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

• 401 battles
  • [DSA] DSA

Quick High or Low Yo-Yo is your friend with the XFL-1. Pop up or down roll realign let gun cool a bit back on target. 3-4 secs straight climb outs under boost then look for new target. Avoid too steep a climb on the boosts.

First attack should be from a respectable altitude to have a good start energy. Focus on HF and Ground Attackers if possible. Remember the P-39 this is derived from was to be a low altitude interceptor with combat expected below 15,000 ft. Single stage supercharger chokes above our equivalent of 15,000 ft.

Wing_Commander_Zero #6 Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS
I want this plane. I'm jelly!

Kiwiav8r #7 Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

• 603 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
This is one of the few planes where head on passes are a good idea as the engine is behind the pilot so takes almost no damage.  A single hit from the 37mm within 400m is usually enough to make most enemy light fighters disintegrate.

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

Mercsn #8 Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2334 battles
I envy all you guys who can shoot those big guns.  I simply cannot aim them worth a darn.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

IndygoEEI #9 Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

• Alpha tester
  • 434 battles

It's also important to be using weapon group firing mechanism.  I typically have both my

37 mm and my MGs matched up to different buttons on my joystick.  Even though I don't

use the 37mm button, when I want to fire a shot with the cannon I press the Joystick

trigger.  You'll typically want to aim your shot a little further then you normally would with

MGs which is practically at the forefront edge of the aiming circle.  Eventually with

practice, you'll be able to "Derp" the cockpit/Critical Modules like wings and fuselage in 

one shot.  The 37 mm is very capable of OHKs even with the API round.

amade #10 Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:41 AM

• Alpha tester
  • 452 battles

Thanks for the tips everyone. After a few test runs in the training room I find that I've become reluctant to point my nose up even slightly. Even with boost on it bleeds energy rapidly in climbs. I've also become more fixated on my airspeed than I normally do in other aircraft, which might cost me in situational awareness. Staying within the optimal altitude band is no problem, simply because it can't get out of it in the first place. Other things I'm trying to do is to fight the urge to spam flaps, and instead of doing horizontal turns I'm doing split S. But overall it's becoming more apparent that I should make the most out of my first strike and avoid prolonged turn fights as much as possible.

This is certainly going to be a steep learning curve.

TheGreenTank #11 Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [MEMES] MEMES
That's pretty much it...energy management is going to be the next key in succeeding with the XFL-1.

amade #12 Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

• Alpha tester
  • 452 battles
Did something change in 1.3 that affected the XFL-1? It feels like it retains energy better... either that or I suddenly learned how to manage energy in it after not touching this thing for a few weeks. It feels so awesome to have that "Eureka!" moment.

HZero #13 Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 2 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Hmm, I don't know, but I will take mine out tonight and play around with it some to see if I get the same impression.  It would be a welcome change if so!

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

woofman34 #14 Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 5 battles
  • [SG] SG
Nice to see so many great pilots chime in on this, props to you all and I would plus 1 all of you if I could :honoring:

burndaddy02 #15 Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:41 AM

Master Sergeant

• 52 battles

I have had a similar love/hate relationship with my XFL-1, but over the last week or so I started flying it again. And finally...FINALLY....things seem to click for me. Basically I started flying it exclusively, shelving every other aircraft until I had flown probably more than 20 battles in the XFL-1 exclusively, and that's what it took to get me comfortable with this airplane.

Once I achieved that, I've become very happy with it. Its not a "great" plane, but man...when you connect with that "derp" cannon and blow somebody apart (or at least drain their HP dry in a single hit), it is really satisfying and my accuracy with that cannon has improved tremendously. I've also gotten a lot better at avoiding stalls and stall recovery. I've had many good 2+ kill matches in this plane, and a few 4-5 kill matches. As with all planes, positioning and good teamplay matter a lot. Usually when I have a bad game I can directly attribute it to a mistake I or my team made. Or something the other team did really right ("swarm of death incoming!!!")

It's worth noting that this plane is an excellent credit earner. If you can master it. I'm basically using it to bankroll all my other plane purchases with the credits it brings in.

Final thought....I love jumping into a match where someone types out "what is an XFL-1!?!?!"   There are plenty of players in the game who just never encounter it. So it has some "hey...look at that!" value to it. It stands out from the typical tier 5 match lineup, which is kinda nice. For that reason its one of the few planes in my hangar that has been given some paint, just to pretty her up for the parade. Love the marine paint scheme on it.

Edited by burndaddy02, 24 May 2014 - 01:49 AM.

amade #16 Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

• Alpha tester
  • 452 battles

View Postburndaddy02, on 24 May 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

Final thought....I love jumping into a match where someone types out "what is an XFL-1!?!?!"   There are plenty of players in the game who just never encounter it. So it has some "hey...look at that!" value to it. It stands out from the typical tier 5 match lineup, which is kinda nice. For that reason its one of the few planes in my hangar that has been given some paint, just to pretty her up for the parade. Love the marine paint scheme on it.

I know that feeling :-)

I always get those sort of reactions with my M6A2E1 in WoT. I don't get as much with the XFL-1 because the population is still pretty small and you more or less face up against the same people over and over again so many of them have seen their fair share of it. Maybe in a year or two, or a few months if we're lucky, the XFL-1 will truly be a unicorn amongst planes. Though WG did put a caveat with the WoWP preorder to reserve the right to sell it after a year so it may not remain rare forever.

amade #17 Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

• Alpha tester
  • 452 battles

Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell from experience how different the P-39Q-15 handles compared to the XFL-1?

I'm not going to get one, seems rather redundant to get it because of their similarities when I could get the Ki-88 instead for a different playstyle but same derp power. However information is ammunition, so knowing how the P-39Q-15 handles (e.g. whether or not it has the same poor energy retention as the XFL-1) might come in handy.

HZero #18 Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 2 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postamade, on 04 June 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell from experience how different the P-39Q-15 handles compared to the XFL-1?

I'm not going to get one, seems rather redundant to get it because of their similarities when I could get the Ki-88 instead for a different playstyle but same derp power. However information is ammunition, so knowing how the P-39Q-15 handles (e.g. whether or not it has the same poor energy retention as the XFL-1) might come in handy.

The P39Q-15 handles like a dream compared to the XFL.  I'm almost afraid to go back and play the XFL-1 now, I think about half the P-39Q-15 manuevers would cause the XFL to stall.  :-p

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

amade #19 Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:26 PM

• Alpha tester
  • 452 battles
Interesting, I guess they're not very similar after all despite being related.

HZero #20 Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 2 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postamade, on 04 June 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

Interesting, I guess they're not very similar after all despite being related.

On paper, they shouldn't be too different.  I think they just had to nerf the XFL-1's flight characteristics to cram it into tier 5.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users