spitfire drivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

slayergrass #1 Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 839 battles

hey hey pilots, With the "Battle for Europe" I got the spitfire 1. I can fly it good" haa , what I'm thinking is good? But I can't get a hit rate over 10% or I can't hit a bullet with the broad side of the barn!

I'm equip'd with the 8 .303 browning's working on moving up in the modules. I maybe have gotten to use to the yak's big gun nose mount. I'm guessing I'm shooting to soon 600-400 meters.

Any input we be greatly appreciated, i.e. would the 20mm Hispano help or hurt? And I'm sure I need to "see the white of their eyes" type distance. Thanks

SG

slayergrass #2 Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 839 battles
opps - bump , the post didn't show up at first, sorry

Topsight #3 Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-
Get the Hispano's and you will have a better experience with it.

pyantoryng #4 Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2992 battles

To use Hispano cannons or not is entirely a matter of opinion - there will be people who tell you to stick with 8x Brownings, while others (me included) would say go for the Hispanos.

Get it and try it for size...you'll need it on the Spitfire 5 to advance anyway so it's not a bad idea to grab it now whether your option may.

...and the poor accuracy is possibly because of the 8x Brownings spitting out a lot of lead and you need a lot to kill someone due to the weak individual gun's power. Also, 7.62/.303 machine guns' effective range is from 500 meters and below.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Darcel_Jones #5 Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 173 battles
So I will vote the other way,on the Spitfire Mk1 I stick to the 8 mg setup,but you got to get real up close and personal,like 500 meters or below is a good rule of thumb,whatever you do,do not shoot early,the key to getting em is to sneak onto their tail and hose em.Good luck SG,she's a fun little bird.

lordelamin #6 Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 20 battles
I have tried really hard not to like the spits, but man they turn so nice, and stick on enemies like glue! it is the one Fighter that makes me want to not play my American fighters. I have both the spit I and the V, can't wait to get to the next tier! The only ones I like better so far are the German lights, and played right, the Spit can do really mean things to the 109's, and 190's in the game. Good luck with your Spit. See you in game.

Topsight #7 Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-
I have Tier V thru VIII in the Spitfire. Get in a turn-on-turn dogfight with a Spit and most of the time you out turn the opponent if you keep it tight. It's roll rate is not that great, in my opinion, so if there are more than one on you, it can spell trouble for the Spit if you have to get away.

Edited by Topsight, 08 March 2014 - 05:43 PM.

CrashTailspin #8 Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

Squadron Lead / Wargaming Stunt Pilot

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 689 battles

Here's my experience with the Spitfire I:

Mobility:  LOVE IT.  Granted, it's not a Zero, but if it's flown correctly, it'll out-turn virtually any other fighter in its tier.  Combine that with its decent top speed and higher altitude band than most of the Russian Tier 5 fighters, and you've got an aircraft that can maneuver well and most altitudes where dogfights occur.

That said, it's always beneficial to get altitude at the start of a match (yeah, yeah, I'm preaching to the choir on this one).  Though you'd be surprised to see (or maybe not) to see how many players just plod along at the altitude they started the match at, only to be bounced by a player who elected to gain altitude at the start, and therefore have an energy reserve (in the form of altitude converted to airspeed) AND an advantageous firing position on the unsuspecting enemy.

Firepower:  Here's the big debate - 20mm Hispanos or 8 Brownings?  I personally choose the 8 Brownings and here's why:

• The weight of the 20mm Hispanos is not compensated by the top engine on the Spitfire I.  Taking that much of a loss in maneuverability, speed, and acceleration to gain weapon range and alpha damage is not worth it in my book.  In addition, the Hispanos overheat fairly quickly, leaving you with only half of what you could have had continuing to fire at the enemy.
  • Keeping this thought going, the highest enemy tier you'll see (provided you are not in a multi-tier flight - DON'T DO THAT) is Tier 7.  An 8-gunned Spitfire can outmaneuver a P-51D, Fw. 190D, F4U-4, etc. if flown properly.  I have repeatedly gunned down unknowing P-51D pilots in my 8-gun Spitfire I.  Could I have done that in a cannon-equipped Spit I?  Perhaps, but it would have been considerably harder.

The Spitfire V has more horsepower on what is essentially the same airframe, so it has an easier time hauling around the extra weight of the 20mm Hispanos.  Also, against Tier 8 aircraft, having cannons can help, because some of those Tier 8s are FAST (Me.262 - I'm lookin' at you).  If you want to have more of a challenge, mount the 8 Brownings and see how you do.  It's an even better dogfighter than the Spit I is, but that's just a matter of (my) opinion.

You must not question "The Forum Laws".  Any questioning of "The Forum Laws" results in automatic removal and / or locking of any post, regardless of the level of constructiveness or thought provocation.

pyantoryng #9 Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2992 battles

I don't buy into altitudecentrism...but that's a different story.

...Hispano or no, you are still better off shooting at machine guns' range anyway so that all guns may hit. But that 800 meters range can come in handy when shooting fleeing heavy fighters.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Lithiumninja #10 Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:57 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [REGAL] REGAL

The .303s work best at ranges below 350-400m. The spread is bad, and the guns have poor range anyways. Firing beyond 400m is rarely a good use of ammo. At 350m and below, the poor spread has much less of an effect; you're able to put a lot of rounds on target and you can chew people up surprisingly quickly. You can do damage with them... but you have to get nice and close. I also advise you use API ammo. It doesn't cost that much more, and with the volume of fire, you have a decent chance of doing good burn damage.

I would advise you try the Hispanos, but if you do, don't sell the brownings. I personally prefer to go without cannons; Extra firepower doesn't do you any good if you lose too much speed/maneuverability because you'll never bring them to bear on your target.

BuckRodgers #11 Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

Yeah, I'm a .303 guy because I just love MGs on turnfighters. The magic number for engagement range for me is 300m or under, anything past that you miss too many shots but once you get close you can absolutely MELT anything outside of the well armored GA planes.

And the Changes to Fire mechanics also means that rocking Incendiary ammo with the Brownings gives you a very nice chance of lighting someone up with only a minimal DPS loss.

frankndeath #12 Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:47 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

I like the .303'S as well for the extra maneuverability, and I find they are much easier to keep in target.

like the posts before hold your fire as long as you can to not give away that you are there, Creep up on them and let it go and watch them melt .:playing:

lordelamin #13 Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:56 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 20 battles
Since I have the top engines on both the Spit I, and the Spit V, I think I'll go back and try the .303's. I'll get back and let you know how it went.

lordelamin #14 Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:33 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 20 battles
ok, I didn't get a winning team on the Spit, but the .303's did make a noticeable difference when it came to turning. Gaining altitude was a bit easier. Putting lead on target was better. Number of targets engaged was better. The first game I crashed into a P-51 that had dived on the red team Spit I was eating up. He was cool about it. An accident you see. The .303 does not hit like the cannons, but the cannons were probably more for bomber interception right? I can live with the .303's.

Thumperr #15 Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:31 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 44 battles

I'm more of a .303 person as well.  The 20's overheat too quick and I wasn't noticing a benefit for my play style.  I did notice If I could out turn or out run an opponent with the .303's I could still with the 20's.  It does make you easy meat for spits not packing cannons, I target enemy Spits with   the 20's first, not because I feel they are more of a danger but because I know they won't be able to escape the slightly quicker and more maneuverable Spitfire.

The man in my avatar is General Claire Chennault commander of the Flying Tigers and my Great Uncle

Goose_6 #16 Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 24 battles
  • [_CIA_] _CIA_
I fly the spit 1 with the .303's and the spit 5 with the cannon.  just my choices...try them both and you and draw your own conclussions

Dern #17 Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

American, German: you can succeed if you learn to effectively use the boom 'n zoom playstyle.

Japanese, Russian: you can succeed if you learn to effectively use the turn 'n burn playstyle

British is neither fish nor fowl.  Succeeding in a British fighter is more complex than learning a single skill set.  You need to be able to use both BnZ and TnB, know when to use which and perhaps more importantly, when NOT to use each, and you also need to figure out some kind of mixed, in-between style.  You want to put yourself into positions where you can BnZ the TnB planes and TnB the BnZ planes.

I'm not having my best luck with Brits, but I appreciate the challenge so I am doggedly sticking with it.  I do have some faith, though, that the above paragraph fairly well describes what I need to learn to do.

InventorOfEvil #18 Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 32 battles

View PostDern, on 19 March 2014 - 03:21 PM, said:

American, German: you can succeed if you learn to effectively use the boom 'n zoom playstyle.

Japanese, Russian: you can succeed if you learn to effectively use the turn 'n burn playstyle

British is neither fish nor fowl.  Succeeding in a British fighter is more complex than learning a single skill set.  You need to be able to use both BnZ and TnB, know when to use which and perhaps more importantly, when NOT to use each, and you also need to figure out some kind of mixed, in-between style.  You want to put yourself into positions where you can BnZ the TnB planes and TnB the BnZ planes.

I'm not having my best luck with Brits, but I appreciate the challenge so I am doggedly sticking with it.  I do have some faith, though, that the above paragraph fairly well describes what I need to learn to do.

I've started doing substantially better in the Brits the more I play the different lines. Learning how to effectively fly the 109's, La's and Yak's has made me substantially better with the Spitfire, because I know what to use against who. Not to mention, I can beat P-51's without batting an eye; I can follow them up as high as they want to go and out turn them when we get there. 

That said, I really didn't care for the Spitfire V. It felt like the Spitfire I moved up a tier, the Spitfire IX is fantastic, however. Awesome firepower, turn, speed, climb. 

Wing_Commander_Zero #19 Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS
Use the smaller guns just shoot at a closer range. The big guns make the spitfire a flying brick and it's not worth it imo.

mizer67 #20 Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

I've run both.

The MGs are better for downing anything but GA.

With the supremacy timer being as fast as it is now, the cannons are necessary if you're the last man alive and need to take down GA before the clock beats you. I've lost a number of battles to supremacy while flying a Spit I.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users